Using trees for traction

snobuilder

I recently added 2 more tracks to my track index.
Never knew having a skid steer was so much fun.
The addition of the tree/post puller to remove the hundreds of whips from my upnort property makes the job a hoot.....like pullin' 50' carrots...lol.
20201108_152413.jpg 20201109_021407.jpg

slimcake

Couple things. If you need parts for that loader and don't have a taki dealer close its the same thing as a Gehl. CTL60 maybe. Hard to see the machine real good. THey were good machines. Sold a few of them. They were underpowered I thought. Now Gehl makes their own machine. Next it looks like you broke rule #1. Don't ever get out of the machine under a raised boom. Even worse having a load on the boom. I know a lot of people do it but all it would take is once. You wouldn't feel a thing... Lastly you should get something to guard those hoses and/or cylinder on that puller. They are a wonderful attachment. I know first hand. But look at where those fittings are. Asking for trouble. Here is my favorite puller. https://www.notchmfginc.com/ntppics.html Look where the cylinder/hoses are on that one. Track loaders are like mini bull dozers. Amazing what they will push.

snobuilder

Good advice all around, slim.
It's a 2000 TL126. From what I read I think Takeuchi is it's own co. making it's own products....unless you mean they built some of Gehls units ?
I was a little worried about parts as well but I am fairly close to Kelbe Bros.Equipment, a Taki dealer.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Unfortunately he could end up feeling it. 25 years ago my dad's best friend did that and it dropped crushing both his legs. Took 6 surgeries and 2 years to walk again. Chewed my 13 year old out for doing it just last night. Thinks he's invincible.

slimcake

What I meant was it will kill ya dead. But ya I have a guy missing half his foot from the boom coming down on him. Just not worth it....

IMHO49953

I thought were done with that now. Wis. Numbers falling magically.

???
https://www.fox9.com/news/covid-19-...h-straight-7-day-case-increase-average-record

(FOX 9) - For the eighth day in a row, the state of Wisconsin reported a new 7-day case increase average Monday. The last time the state did not set a new record was Nov. 1.

Monday, the 7-day case increase average reached 5,639 as 4,360 new cases were reported. The state now sits at 271,770 total COVID-19 cases to date.

The state also reported 17 new COVID-19 deaths Monday, bringing the pandemic total to 2,329. The 7-day death increase average is 40. The record, set on Nov. 6, is 41.

mrbb

skid steers are wonderful machines to have if you have any rural land, couldn;t imagine not owning one after having one!
moved 80 ton of fill dirt today, one of my fav attachments has been a stiff arm back hoe attachment, picked one a cheap version up a while back, and MAN its come in handy so many times, its NO real backhoe mind you, but its been great for many things other than digging
having something 6-7 ft in front of machine to lift and move reasonable things with some reach has been priceless at times, ad in some of the better one's have a thumb on them, and even more fun and uses!
only issue I have with skid steers is, they SUCK on anything but level ground, rather tippy on slopes and side hills, , so be safe if working on that type of ground, they do TIP easy
11 09 2020 fill dirt.jpg

Last edited:

slimcake

A cheap one like he pictured is around 1500 bucks. The one I put the link to is around 2k. I wish I would have taken a video of the fence line behind my house. I removed 500ft of steel post 3 strand barbwire with that hog mesh crap on the bottom that gets all over grown. I got off the skidloader seat twice pulling all of that. Put it all in a pile and then grabbed it with one bite of the grapple bucket. Fat mans dream. Smarter not harder!! That was after I removed 3 30ft box elder trees from said fence line. That was a fun day. mrbb if you think that new holland is tippy you should try a bobcat. New Holland has the longest wheel base and the lowest center of gravity of any of em. Thats a good machine you got there!

xcr440

I have one of the old fan cooled Melroe Bobcats - it has the CVT main drive system. Its not very powerful, but it gets the small stuff done, including plowing the driveway with a 7' bucket. I don't use it for anything heavy, I know a few other guys with better equipment when we need to move a bridge or something.

But yeah, if you own any land and can afford one, a bobcat is a very nice piece of equipment to have.

Last edited:

chunk06

Good advice all around, slim.
It's a 2000 TL126. From what I read I think Takeuchi is it's own co. making it's own products....unless you mean they built some of Gehls units ?
I was a little worried about parts as well but I am fairly close to Kelbe Bros.Equipment, a Taki dealer.

Your machine was before Takeuchi built them for Gehl and Mustang . the 120-150 series Tak built them and Gehl/Mustang added their own rops. Kelbe Bros will take care of you, although items like filters are much cheaper to get from a company like NAPA. The company is legendary. For years MR Takeuchi actually lived in the factory.

mrbb

A cheap one like he pictured is around 1500 bucks. The one I put the link to is around 2k. I wish I would have taken a video of the fence line behind my house. I removed 500ft of steel post 3 strand barbwire with that hog mesh crap on the bottom that gets all over grown. I got off the skidloader seat twice pulling all of that. Put it all in a pile and then grabbed it with one bite of the grapple bucket. Fat mans dream. Smarter not harder!! That was after I removed 3 30ft box elder trees from said fence line. That was a fun day. mrbb if you think that new holland is tippy you should try a bobcat. New Holland has the longest wheel base and the lowest center of gravity of any of em. Thats a good machine you got there!
I have used many brands of skid steers and when I was shopping for one for this property, I knew what I wanted, due to there is more sloped land there than level(I'm backing all I can to make more level ground, I think I had my 60 th tri axle load today sicne getting skid steer there!, and dirt never goes as far as you think it will!LOL)
SO< yeah wider loner wheel base the better when on hills and slopes, but even still this NH I have, I had my share of close calls

snobuilder

Question, ballpark how much is that puller attachment?

Titan has that particular one in the clearance section right now....Under $1000 delivered to garage door. I added the root grubber which went into use once I started working it on the bigger deep rooted trees.
https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...d-steers-universal-landscape-tool/198110.html

- - - Updated - - -

Your machine was before Takeuchi built them for Gehl and Mustang . the 120-150 series Tak built them and Gehl/Mustang added their own rops. Kelbe Bros will take care of you, although items like filters are much cheaper to get from a company like NAPA. The company is legendary. For years MR Takeuchi actually lived in the factory.

The parts guy immediately impressed me on the phone and had my parts and maintenance stuff ready as promised.

chunk06

Titan has that particular one in the clearance section right now....Under $1000 delivered to garage door. I added the root grubber which went into use once I started working it on the bigger deep rooted trees.
https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...d-steers-universal-landscape-tool/198110.html

- - - Updated - - -

The parts guy immediately impressed me on the phone and had my parts and maintenance stuff ready as promised.

I have found over the years that they prefer you to call ahead for parts. They run a lean staff. It's a nice outfit, Most of their business is construction rental and lasers, they don't deal in lawn and garden, AG or other things kind of a niche dealer compared to most. When I needed tracks for mine everyone said that you can not beat mail order, but they did.