Vilas 1/31 ride

pclark

Left Manitowish at 10 am after it warmed to -16 degrees and headed east toward BJ on #2, we were first tracks, it was smooth!!!!, BJ had their trails all nice and smooth as well, east toward Land o Lakes #6E, nice...., down to #6E towards Phelps, across Lac View Deserts (I think you have that after dinner) ate lunch at Great Escape, good sandwich, 6E in Phelps area outstanding!, and then across North Twin to Conover, west on #8 to Star Lake, Sayner, back north to #6, over to PI and back down to MW. All trails pretty excellent, thanks to all the clubs!

Last picture was trail #2 by my place in MW where we started this morning, still flat and smooth at 4:30pm.
1675215337033.png
1675215371597.png
1675215413559.png
1675215446368.png
1675215476843.png
1675215494935.png

SHOOT2KILL

P clark going to try to pic your brain...This picture is from jan 1979...5 of us bought new 79 SRX's that year...Im the guy in the middle with the yammie suit and yellow ski mask...This trail is still alive, but cant remember exactly where...Most likely somewhere between Cocktail Corners,,,Burnt Bridge,,,Bauers Dam,,,Do you recognize it...BTW...The guy in the blue sled suit is a former owner of the Great Escape in Phelps...

Attachments

• img010_1_.jpg
    img010_1_.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 57

pclark

P clark going to try to pic your brain...This picture is from jan 1979...5 of us bought new 79 SRX's that year...Im the guy in the middle with the yammie suit and yellow ski mask...This trail is still alive, but cant remember exactly where...Most likely somewhere between Cocktail Corners,,,Burnt Bridge,,,Bauers Dam,,,Do you recognize it...BTW...The guy in the blue sled suit is a former owner of the Great Escape in Phelps...
In 79 I was 21 years old, the scene looks pretty familiar and I would say it may be over by Bauers Dam. I remember many rides with snowmobiles that looked like the ones in this picture. Funny how trail reports on this website bring back memories of the past.

old abe

Nice pic! How many of those SRX's blew up? I had several friends with those and they were a likely time bomb, but super fast when they were running. My little 79 Poo TXL drove them nuts.o_O

bearrassler

Nice pic! How many of those SRX's blew up? I had several friends with those and they were a likely time bomb, but super fast when they were running. My little 79 Poo TXL drove them nuts.o_O
My younger brother had a 1980 SRX, the engine never blew up but he rarely got over 100 miles out of a belt. I had a 1980 Centurion with leaf springs that could beat him though.

SHOOT2KILL

They all blew up at some point...Just like every other manufacturers performance sleds of that era...Mine was the first to pop...2 days after that pic was taken...Pulled the motor out of the chassis and rebuilt it on top of the dresser inside the room @ the old White Eagle motel hwy 70 in Eagle River...By the time this pic was taken there was only 1 left in the group Jan 1983...BTW...Thats my 82 Kawi 440 ltd behind the SRX...Sled sure looked fast when you opened the hood and saw the quad plug head and the twin pipes...LOOOOL...That SRX ate that Kawi like it was standing still...lol

Attachments

• thumbnail_DSC09023.jpg
    thumbnail_DSC09023.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

old abe

My younger brother had a 1980 SRX, the engine never blew up but he rarely got over 100 miles out of a belt. I had a 1980 Centurion with leaf springs that could beat him though.
My little 79 TXL, being a light weight sled was a real terror! We left a many of the big CC sleds in the snow dust! And that was before a another racing friend of mine cleaned up the ports, which wear already huge, for better flow. Clutched, and geared to keep it in the high RPM 's she screamed!