Vilas County Trails Open 5:00 12/15!

SunriseResort

Here is the announcement from Vilas County! We have 4 cabins available, there's about 12" on the ground and snowing as we speak!

I couldn't get the doc to attach so here is the text -

DATE: 15 December, 2017 TO:
News Media and Other Parties of Interest
FROM: Dale Mayo, Vilas County Parks & Recreation Administrator
RE: Vilas County Snowmobile Trails Opening

THE STATE FUNDED SNOWMOBILE TRAIL SYSTEM IN VILAS COUNTY WILL OFFICIALLY OPEN AT 5:00 PM ON FRIDAY 15 DECEMBER, 2017 FOR THE SEASON WITH THE EXCEPTION OF PHELPS TRAILS. THE PHELPS TRAIL SYSTEM IS NOT READY AND WILL BE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

Please be advised that trails are not in mid-season form but in early season condition and riders may encounter rough or closed segments. Slow down and be aware that trail conditions can change quickly. Ice thickness varies greatly on area lakes. DO NOT CROSS ANY LAKE UNLESS THE TRAIL ACROSS IT IS CLEARLY MARKED. As always, please check with your local chambers or snowmobile clubs for current conditions.
Dale Mayo Administrator Vilas County Parks & Recreation

CatsOnly

Whats up with Phelps trails???? My cabins in phelps and need to know if we head up. Whitedust? any input? Are you apart of the Phelps club? We are but have not contacted them recently. Contacted them in November to see if they needed help but said they were all good, and i know a lot of things can change from now to then and have read some trails have major ruts in them from trucks. Seems like they need some help

whitedust

Whats up with Phelps trails???? My cabins in phelps and need to know if we head up. Whitedust? any input? Are you apart of the Phelps club? We are but have not contacted them recently. Contacted them in November to see if they needed help but said they were all good, and i know a lot of things can change from now to then and have read some trails have major ruts in them from trucks. Seems like they need some help

I left Phelps Snowmobile Club 2 years ago just was not a good fit for me so I moved on to the Frosty Club out of Lando. Eagle River and Frosty trails have been prepped and look super today for an opener. Phelps and Lando have the most snow on the eastern end of Vilas close to a foot on the ground in the open much more in the woods. I'm not going to air anyone's dirty laundry on JD and suggest you contact your Phelps Club directly since you are a member and let them know you are concerned about their trail preparation. I believe you are on the north side of Phelps and Lando trails are good to go and being ridden as I type so find your way north and west and you will NOT be disappointed. Currently no one has any idea when Phelps trails will open and I guess they will announce a date when they are ready nothing is public so good luck and suggest direct contact to the horses mouth is best. Good luck and safe sleddin!

CatsOnly

Thanks, thankfullly i know how to get to the power lines to access lando with out phelps trails! will be riding soon!

WorkHardPlayHrd

Hey Whitedust, any updates on land o lakes, Boulder junction, eagle river, that you know of. Trying to figure out where to head to around the 28th. Thanks for any input.

whitedust

Guys all of Vilas is in early season condition which means wet spots and thin snow. What I saw of Phelps trails yesterday trail 17 was terrible and you would not want to take your sled thru that crap. Stones, sticks and mud all over with logging going on as well. North Twin had wet spots no ice fishermen looked dangerous, not marked. The other way into Phelps is Trail 6 and I could not get to it so no idea but suspect more of the same. Other clubs west of Phelps have put in great effort to prepare their trails so should be much better condition but since I'm locked in I can't say first hand. All of Vilas would benefit from more snow and every bit will help. The sub zero coming will help to freeze wet spots and harden up lakes. I'm parked for now no idea if Phelps passed inspection yesterday?? ...if they did it was by the grace of god. My hat is off to the clubs that stepped up to prepare their trails and pass inspection as it has been a very difficult start to this snowmobile season...lots of trees down ,wet spots to be ridden in and brush to be cut. Conditions will continue to improve with snow and cold but if you want good or very good trails wait a week or 10 days for additional snow and continued grooming. Otherwise take what you can get and enjoy what we have.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Thank you Whitedust, we understand it's early season just wanted to know if anything is particularly bad, you covered it. Hope things improve and stay warm. Merry Christmas everyone.

Snowbandit

after what I rode sat in Vilas county and zero snow in forecast now we are putting our trip next week on hold. With all the traffic and zero base you would be lucky to find one 100mile day of riding. Gogebic is all wet and **** as always and everybody and their cousin will be north of Bergland. Year after year this is really starting to look like we are the dumbest people in the world to have 30 grand plus invested in this hobby and this is what we deal with. Especially when certain areas appear to be putting less effort into the trail system maint and grooming.

Snow Posse

Did a short little ride (26 miles) ran into a few closed gates... Phelps and one in Eagle River. For first ride it was enough for us to check out our sleds and enjoy an early season ride. Have a few pics from 70E of Eagle River today. Need cold (coming this week) and snow (fingers crossed soon)
https://snowposse.wordpress.com/
20171221_135340.jpg 20171221_143848.jpg

whitedust

Ok here we go some good news Phelps Trails open Today December 22nd at 5:00 PM.... FINALLY passed inspection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of Vilas is now open. I'll be on them Saturday headed north lol...:)