Vintage Sled Photos - Really Old School!

skiroule

I think this is what Magnumb had in mind when he asked about vintage sled photos. I think I posted some of these a long time ago but most have probably not seen them. I know some of you have also posted old school photos before so feel free to post them here again. It would make for a nice collection.

My now 46 year old daughter out for a little ride with me when she was about 5. She looks a little cold and not very happy.

MinSki_zps1882b1c7.jpg

My wife would kill me if she knew I posted these. She is rockin’ the scarf, the metalflake, and the one piece but quite frankly, I think she could out-ride me.

High_Speed_zps40672134.jpg

Drift_Bust_I_zps8edde9f6.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

These are fun to look at! She does look like she can out ride you Kelly. ;) Love the Vikings patch on her left shoulder on the last photo!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've posted this before, taken on Christmas Day 1968. Me, my brother, and the family dog on a 1969 Arctic Cat Panther. The families first snowmobile delivered on Christmas Eve, Dad paid around $800 for this 19 horse JLO and the dealer included a free case of Snobil. No helmet, no gear, no problem, all that stuff came later. I think the family dog could out run that old Panther...she was slow but steady.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 129

bearrassler

Hey Ski, how do you post your pictures? Here are a few

Near Truckee, CA 1968

California=Nevada, 1968_0001.jpg

My mom in our front yard, East Grand Forks, MN 1967

River Drive EGF_0001.jpg

Engadine, MI late 60's

Michigan 1968.jpg

Our yard, East Grand Forks, MN 1969

River Drive EGF.jpg

Near Eagles Nest Lodge Cut Foot Sioux Lake, MN 1971

Eagles Nest Lodge, 1971_0003.jpg

I think the dates and places are all correct but do not guarantee them.

skiroule

Thanks Jon, I have a bunch more that are older but they are in slide format and it's a fairly lengthy process to convert them to digital images. Hopefully this will prod me to get a few more converted this winter. Leave it to Mark to spot the Viking patch. That dog is almost as big as the Panther - Could see why it could outrun the sled.

BR, number 5 in your series is just plain excellent. That is ad material if i've ever seen it. I'll message you on the photo posting. The "Insert Image" hasn't been working very well for me.

bearrassler

Thanks Kelly, I will look for it, I am not sure because it was almost 44 years ago but I believe that the people in picture #5 are Snow Goer Susie and Snow Goer Ed, I think you have been around this stuff long enough to have heard of them. I know that they were with us on that trip.

bearrassler

Seeing the pictures of Indy 500's first trip out west to the mountains reminded me of mine. Almost 48 years ago in April of 1967 we went to Glacier Nat'l Park and rode for a few days. No helmets, backpacks, garden tools, or avy equipment but we made it. I don't think we had any damage either, and boy did we highmark.

glacier 67_0001.jpg

glacier 67_0004.jpg

glacier 67_0007.jpg

glacier 67_0006.jpg

glacier 67_0005.jpg

The snow stick was at 72" if I remember right.

D

Deleted member 10829

I love to see those pics, never gets old! What a family trip. 5 sleds, you must have been part of the 1% back then. ;) 72" of snowpack is something I've never seen. Cool.

skiroule

Those photos are amazing, after all, it was 1967. You were one lucky kid. We got to go to Waskish MN, you went to Glacier.

That was some impressive tuning to get those old birds running right in the mountains. I love the photo of the three kids (one of them is probably you) sitting on the same seat. Kind of like a bench seat.

kirk600

Here is a unique picture taken by me recently. How many engines do you know of that can handle 400 degree temperatures?

skiroule

Here is a unique picture taken by me recently. How many engines do you know of that can handle 400 degree temperatures?

If I'm not mistaken that sure looks like an RTX instrument pod. Pretty funny that it goes to 400 before being in the "over-temp" zone.

kirk600

It is a Skiroule but i dont know the model as the hood is missing. I initially thought it had a tach until i looked closer. Then i was like what the heck?????