Virgina or Hibbing MN

ranger_dave

Anybody been in that area of Minnesota? Thinking of going there next week. I see they should be getting more snow up there.

snowchief

Just got home from ash river ride as far south as cook on the arrowhead it was awesome, I'd say Saturday they goto 2 inches of snow but I wish I seen this thread before I left for home I would've took a pic of the trail in Virginia it looked smooth and fast from the road the trails looked good down to moose lake

oldguy

We got another few inches of snow last night and it's still snowing, trails will be as good as it gets by this coming weekend,

billjd

Rode Hibbing to I-Falls to Gunflint...60% excellent 20% good and 20% fair. Good snow. Best trails seem to be around the Hibbing area.. Plenty of snow. Just got back last night.

RKD

go to Virginia and stay at the Pine View Inn. trails were great on 2-2, 2-3 and 2-4-17. The spur trail out the back of the hotel was groomed 3 wide and the rest or the trails were also great..

oldguy

In the Iron Range and to the north we had no serious melting over last weekend. If the low temps at night stay in the low twenties or less the trails will be fine and they will be out grooming all week. Not sure how they will look by Saturday afternoon or Sunday.

robgoggins

Thanks. By the way, I hear guys complain about the trail conditions when the groomers don't get out. Since I'm a rookie, can someone help me understand what is meant by "rough" trail conditions after heavy use? I have a touring sled, will that make it less rough?

oldguy

Robgoggins

Rough trails are rough trails. The type of sled you drive can help absorb the bumps, but bumps still suck. The warmer it gets the quicker the bumps form and the groomers are ineffective in getting the bumps to stay flat. The more traffic the quicker you get bumps.

robgoggins

Any update on the Grand Rapids, Virginia, Hibbing area? Heading up there Friday night for Sat./Sun. riding. According to the NOAA snow depth map there is still 18"+ up there. I'm thinking even with warmer temps on Friday there should be enough snow left to ride over the weekend. Thoughts?

sweeperguy

Screenshot_20170214-181937.jpg
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, BUT,
Temps like these, trail conditions are going to go south QUICK.
Snow depth isn't really how much is actually on the trail, My guess is it may be okay Fri, Saturday it might be getting pretty bad. Bald corners, and areas of snirt (snow dirt mix). Road crossings, and if any trails use the shoulder of road such as bridge crossings, will be bare. As will gas stations. Pretty warm temps, may be tough to keep sled temps down.

Maybe someone else has other thoughts on how the area will hold up. I have not been to that area this year, so I'm just going by what I imagine the conditions are to start with. If conditions are better than my mind thinks, it will hold up better than the tough conditions I'm writing here

billjd

View attachment 56215
Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, BUT,
Temps like these, trail conditions are going to go south QUICK.
Snow depth isn't really how much is actually on the trail, My guess is it may be okay Fri, Saturday it might be getting pretty bad. Bald corners, and areas of snirt (snow dirt mix). Road crossings, and if any trails use the shoulder of road such as bridge crossings, will be bare. As will gas stations. Pretty warm temps, may be tough to keep sled temps down.

Maybe someone else has other thoughts on how the area will hold up. I have not been to that area this year, so I'm just going by what I imagine the conditions are to start with. If conditions are better than my mind thinks, it will hold up better than the tough conditions I'm writing here

By Saturday afternoon they will be shot. Many areas are already thin. Mother nature can "kiss it". What a bust of a winter!

xcr440

By Saturday afternoon they will be shot. Many areas are already thin. Mother nature can "kiss it". What a bust of a winter!

Bust of a winter? 2700 miles so far has been pretty good - Just have to throw them on the trailer and go!

robgoggins

We were going to head to Grand Rapids Friday night and ride Saturday/Sunday. After reading the boards, watching the weather and calling the hotel manager in Grand Rapids, we're throwing in the towel for this weekend. We bought the sleds new late in 2016 and we've put on...drum roll please...about 5 miles. Wow. I had a feeling they'd be a bad investment but I didn't think they'd be this bad! Combination of too much stuff on our calendar, and lack of snow. According to John Dee we're due for a snow storm in a week or two - hoping he's right!

disco

Was in willow river mn last weekend and trails were awesome, brought my 11yr old plenty of snow, as for this weekend I think virgina and north would be fine.

rjensen450

Bummer you decided to call it. I know by saturday night the trails will be thin and some corners bald, but all the clubs have groomed up here this week and the trails are great right now. Don't get me wrong, the high 40's coming are not going to do the trails any good, but i think you would've had some good riding.