Virginia, MN

kecogaty

Heading to Virginia, MN next week. Any reports on snow and trail conditions? Recommended trails to ride? Things to see? First time riding in Minnesota and also first time to that area.

snowchief

We usually stay north of there but we ride down to the landing on Lake vermillion for an awesome bloody Mary actually really good food there just a little pricey it's on the far West end of lake not too far off arrowhead trail

oldguy

There is plenty of snow in the area. The trails are in the best shape on Thursday, Fridays and Saturday mornings. Some of the remote trails only get groomed once a week, that’s all they need. The main trails get groomed at least twice a week.

The highest bridge in MN was finished this fall. It goes over a mine pit on the south side of Virginia. There is a separate lane for snowmobiles to go over it. The laurention trail is few miles north of Virginia. It is a main corridor to get to trails to the east and west of town. All of the motels, bars and gas stops have a good maps of the area with mileage between stops on them. Two of the best trails in the area are the Taconite and the Arrowhead. Both are built and maintained by the state of MN and go thru scenery as good as any the east of the Rockies.

It is prime season up here and the trails should be fantastic. The food is good at most all of the bars, a lot of the bars have gas as well. Go explore and have fun

wheels006

Stop by the Saw Mill! Great food! I'm up that way for work once or twice a yr and enjoy that bar. I need to plan a winter trip up there and rent a sled.