Vizio TV Repair?

whitedust

Have a 70 inch Vizio TV that has a line across the center of the screen then bottom half looks faded compared to top half. I’m on Direct TV so swapped out receivers and rebooted but same problem so pretty sure it’s the TV. Unfortunately this TV is only 14-16 months old. Before I buy a new TV is there any TV Repair shops anywhere? The TV is still watchable I so can wait a bit if there are options to fix???

wiscrev

Had a Vizio that went out in only 3 months. God it @ Sam's. Took it back and replaced with LG. Rep @ Sam's said they have more trouble with Vizio than any other TV.

eao

I have had 2 for almost 10 yrs, no problems. Not the big ones though, those I understand are made in Taiwan whereas <60 inches are made in China

m8man

Most TV’s are disposable now. I’ve bought 3 in the last month and the others were only 3 to 4 years old. Software updates, memory issues, non compatibility crap, made from crappy parts overseas that’s what we get.
Years ago I spent 4K on a new TV, now I have a 65” TCL (whatever that is) I got for $425.

whitedust

Most TV’s are disposable now. I’ve bought 3 in the last month and the others were only 3 to 4 years old. Software updates, memory issues, non compatibility crap, made from crappy parts overseas that’s what we get.
Years ago I spent 4K on a new TV, now I have a 65” TCL (whatever that is) I got for $425.
How do you dispose? Where? My 70 Vizio not terrible has a line thru mid screen. Would be fine in garage or outside I don’t spend much time in garage.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you dispose? Where?
Best Buy will take them. They also take the small stuff like printers & lap tops. I would call ahead to make sure your local store has the same policy. Our county will take them for a fee, $25 I think. Which results in the occasional TV sitting on the side of some back country road. And then there's "One Piece at a Time". A friend of mine cut up there old TV with a Sawsall and put a piece in the trash every week. After about a month she was gone. I think he got the idea from Johnny Cash...

Northstar

Had a 70 inch Sony that developed the line across the screen about 1 pixel wide which I managed to ignore for a year or two before the Sony power supply went out as they are well known to do. Cost me $35 to recycle cause they charge $10 more if it is a TV vs a Monitor....as if there is really a difference these days with the tuner probably on about a credit card sized daughterboard. I like the idea of the sawsall.

ICT Sledder

I still have and use a 50" Panasonic plamsa that I bought - no joke - in 2008. Looks and works just fine.

The inferior tech (LCD/LED) beat out the superior tech (plasma) because it was cheaper to produce.

When I replace the plasma it will be with an OLED.

wiscrev

I still have and use a 50" Panasonic plamsa that I bought - no joke - in 2008. Looks and works just fine.

The inferior tech (LCD/LED) beat out the superior tech (plasma) because it was cheaper to produce.

When I replace the plasma it will be with an OLED.
I did the same thing. Bought plasma in 2006-7 and lasted for 12 years. Got plasma to begin with because LCD at the time had "shadows" on anything fast. I am an avid hockey fan and so I bought the plasma. At the time, they said plasma TV's would only last 3-5 years.

why not fix it yourself? I have fixed a few LCD TVs, just watch a you tube on the repair. Its most likely the LED strips went out, sorta like the old Xmas tree lights, if one goes out, they all go out, or the bottom half goes out in your case. LED strips are around $30 on evil bay, I fixed a 65" Roku TV a few weeks back...If you don't want to fix, you can sell the internal PCB components for more than you would think..These LCD TVs are really easy to work on. Just a bunch of small screws and snap clips, tape, etc..Ribbon cables that just unclip and re-clip.

whitedust

why not fix it yourself? I have fixed a few LCD TVs, just watch a you tube on the repair. Its most likely the LED strips went out, sorta like the old Xmas tree lights, if one goes out, they all go out, or the bottom half goes out in your case. LED strips are around $30 on evil bay, I fixed a 65" Roku TV a few weeks back...If you don't want to fix, you can sell the internal PCB components for more than you would think..These LCD TVs are really easy to work on. Just a bunch of small screws and snap clips, tape, etc..Ribbon cables that just unclip and re-clip.
Ya I’m very surprised someone doesn’t do TV repair in a shop. Bring it to me and I’ll fix it like the old days. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with this thing but not considering junking it yet.

chunk06

I bought a Vizio at Sam's years ago that failed prematurely. I went in and talked to the manager and she made it right. Also if you purchased it with a credit Card sometime there is extended warranties through the CC company.

mezz

I bought a Vizio at Sam's years ago that failed prematurely. I went in and talked to the manager and she made it right. Also if you purchased it with a credit Card sometime there is extended warranties through the CC company.
Most electronics have a standard warranty of 1 year parts 90 days labor. Unless he purchased an extended warranty, it would not be covered, even under a cc purchase. Maybe the mfg would have an answer for you, or, maybe it could be fixed as suggested. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

whitedust

It was a Walmart purchase. You’re the tech , sales person and stock person at Walmart. Couldn’t find anyone in electronics to talk to but didn’t expect it. I bought a 75 LG and installed it last night it has a superior picture compared to the Vizio by far. Bought LG made in Mexico or South Korea I’m done with Chinese TVs. Vizio used to be good bang for the buck especially back to the LCDs 55s. The old 70 Vizio is stored in my office until decide it’s fate. Still works just not pristine picture 🤷‍♂️

mezz

LG makes an excellent product, I don't care if its LCD, LED or OLED. In my estimation, they have quality products. 3 of the 5 TV's I have are LG ranging in ages from 12 years to 6 months, I couldn't be happier, thats why I have 3. When the other 2 crap out, they will be replaced with LG. Lifes Good.