Volcanos effecting the weather

chadlyt

John <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Just a question regarding weather changes and volcanoes. <o:p></o:p>
Back in 92 (I think) Mt. Pinatubo erupted and we had one of our coldest winters on record shortly after that. <o:p></o:p>
Seeing there is a Philippine volcanoes eruption eminent, depending on how big it is, when would it start to change our weather, if at all?<o:p></o:p>

jd

Administrator
Staff member
chadlyt-

It would depend on a couple of factors. It would have to be a major eruption, meaning one that puts a lot of particulate matter into the atmosphere. I really do not know the exact amounts needed, but safe to say Pinatubo was at the low end of the scale, so it could not be much weaker than it.

Plus, the particulates need to be shot through the troposphere and tropopause and into the stratosphere (approximately 60-70K feet up). Anything that gets put into the troposphere would be washed out or settle out pretty quickly and not be suspended in the atmosphere long enough to have an impact on the weather.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Maybe it will be a Krakatoa or Tambora and really do a number!

-John

m8man

Ahhhh, that sounded like a smart answer or something like that...I got lost on the topical, tropical, spherical, I don't even know where to start...When I got done saying all those words if felt like someone painted my mouth GREEN

m8man