Want to buy....1972 tnt 440.

snoluver1

Im looking for a 1972 ski doo tnt 440. Preferably with slide rail suspension. If anyone has a line on one, please let me know. Thanks!

snoluver1

This is what I'm looking for, in case you see one and not sure of the year. '72 was the only year with the white "racing stripe" on the hood. I know somebody has one sitting in a barn somewhere. Lol. I'm in hot pursuit. That dang Skiroule fella got me all fired up with his coper harbor run for fun videos.

post-33670-0-71386900-1328185949.jpg

sweeperguy

Im looking for a 1972 ski doo tnt 440. Preferably with slide rail suspension. If anyone has a line on one, please let me know. Thanks!

Did they have a slide rail suspension in early 70's?
I thought Arctic Cat did and Doo ran bogie wheel suspension.
I could be wrong, not a vintage expert by any means.

snoluver1

72 had an option for slide rail. You could get them either way. Slide rail is much less common, but they are out there. I would certainly consider one with bogies also. Could always change it over if I found a skid.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You're correct with the option for bogies or rails. I recall the ski doo rails had a hinge in the middle that flexed, the cats were one piece for their slides. A bit of trivia, that model of TNT was known by some as "the skunk" because of the white stripe. Hope you find what you're after!

snoluver1

Thanks for the info Gary. I had completely forgotten those slide rails were articulated, until you mentioned it. It's kinda funny, i just got an email from a guy trying to sell N.O.S. slides. I said thanks, but I kinda need the rest of the sled to go with them! Lol

kirk600

Posted in bloomington,IL craigslist a month ago......
1972 skidoo 440tnt runs great!
Three 0 nine 83 zero 457nine

skiroule

We're always happy to help recruit more vintage sledding victims (I mean members). It's the least we can do.

"The Skunk" - pretty funny, but as people know, the skunk is not to be messed with.

kirk600

This one looks a little customized, but if the mechanicals
check out a little paint and he is good to go

snoluver1

Well, I guess we can't call this one "the skunk". I think it more resembles "Mimi" from the Drew Cary Show, but anyway, it now resides in my garage! Thanks for the hot tip Kirk!

20170311_162757.jpg

kirk600

Glad to hear you were able to make a deal on the sled you always wanted........or at least wanted for a couple weeks!! Glad I was able to help Snoluver1

It actually looks pretty clean, and they hardly take any room so you can fit more in the trailer.......

sweeperguy

Glad to hear you were able to make a deal on the sled you always wanted........or at least wanted for a couple weeks!! Glad I was able to help Snoluver1

It actually looks pretty clean, and they hardly take any room so you can fit more in the trailer.......

And light too, only 356lbs.

snoluver1

I've actually been looking for one for years. All the ones I've come across are either too rough to bother with, or priced way out in left field. Its funny, this one was only 2 hrs south of me, yet never came up in any of my searches. Even after you posted it, the only way it would come up is if I typed it exactly as written, with no space in between 440 and tnt. The guy said he's been trying to sell it for 2 years with no bites! I'm taking that as a sign, it was meant to be! Lol

This modle was my first sled, and it got stolen when I went away for school. Been looking for a replacement off and on ever since. Thanks again Kirk!

kirk600

What a great story, and a happy ending too! I will admit, that I have found quite a few vehicles by making the search LESS SPECIFIC than what I am looking for. To find your new sled, I used
(1972 skidoo ski doo) and did not focus on a specific model.
Face it, lots of times,people get these old sleds and don't know what model it is, let alone engine size,but they can usually find the year, or at least the year it was built.

This often results in the listing having the wrong year for the item they are trying to sell, so I will try 1 or 2 years in either direction.

Once again congratulations on your new purchase, I hope to see a thread soon on your new 'doo

skiroule

Yes sir, glad to see another JD member end up with a vintage sled from their youth. Dang cool to find the very sled that has special meaning to you and is in restore-able condition. Kirk comes through again with a tip. The guy is like the superman of vintage sled rescue efforts.

I too, will be looking forward to a build thread on this sled (either this thread or a dedicated thread). You can say you're just going to do minimal work on it and just ride it but based on your track record, I'm saying it gets a little more involved treatment.

Congratulations!

snoluver1

I'll definitely start a thread if I decide to tear it down. Right now I'm thinking this might be a "one piece at a time" type of project, vs a complete tear down. You never know though, sometimes I end up getting carried away! The good news is the wife seems to have simmered down a bit. We filed for our taxes and were actually pleasantly surprised. I might have a little wiggle room now?

It's alive, and we all know that's half the battle!
20170313_174440.jpg

kirk600

Thats one happy kid right there, didn't even wait to put some boots on before riding thru the fields! I can see lots of great memories being made, on the same sled dad rode as a kid..........

All my sleds are work in progress types, i want to enjoy them and if they gets some scars, thats ok they were meant to be ridden. They are unique, some are one of a kind, but we all like a blast from the past once in a while......and that TNT was 1/4 the price of a mini-z