Washer dryer thread

slimcake

John, awhile back you had asked about washer dryer advice. I can't seem to come up with that thread. I am at the point of needing to purchase appliances for my new house and wanted to read up a bit. What did you end up with?? Thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
We ended up getting the Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum for both the washer and drier. The washer is a top load, but can actually hold more than a side load and uses about the same amount of water. I forget when we got them exactly, but have been very happy with both.

-John

dfattack

I know your question was directed at John, so I hope I'm not crossing the line by replying but I just bought two sets of washers and dryers. I've tried the front loaders and don't like them. I found a company (speed queen, made in Wisconsin) that still makes the old traditional top load washer where you can still control the water temp and water level (not automatically set for you based on your selection). Also has the full size agitator. This was very important to me and wanted you to know they are still available if you are interested in having that. I like to know all my options when making a decision that could last 10-15 years and thought I would pass along the information.

sweeperguy

I know your question was directed at John, so I hope I'm not crossing the line by replying but I just bought two sets of washers and dryers. I've tried the front loaders and don't like them. I found a company (speed queen, made in Wisconsin) that still makes the old traditional top load washer where you can still control the water temp and water level (not automatically set for you based on your selection). Also has the full size agitator. This was very important to me and wanted you to know they are still available if you are interested in having that. I like to know all my options when making a decision that could last 10-15 years and thought I would pass along the information.

I agree 100%. Had front loaders. When first came out one of their claims to fame was wash and dry cycles supposed to be similar times. This is only because the wash cycle time is WAY longer than prior top load washers

I also went with Speed Queen. Many years ago. Super happy. Seems I remember several metal parts, gears / other. That are plastic in Whirlpool, Kenmore, Etc.
Was told by a very knowledgeable sales guy, (not on commission) to expect up to 20 years service life out of Speed Queen. VS 7-10 out of "popular" brands

dfattack

I agree 100%. Had front loaders. When first came out one of their claims to fame was wash and dry cycles supposed to be similar times. This is only because the wash cycle time is WAY longer than prior top load washers

I also went with Speed Queen. Many years ago. Super happy. Seems I remember several metal parts, gears / other. That are plastic in Whirlpool, Kenmore, Etc.
Was told by a very knowledgeable sales guy, (not on commission) to expect up to 20 years service life out of Speed Queen. VS 7-10 out of "popular" brands

They are basically commercial machines. I just bought two sets to replace my 15 year old units. I will also replace the washer/dryer at my house up at the lake this summer that's how happy I am with the speed queen. My wife loves having the old style machines again. We also have the top of the line Electrolux front load washer/dryer and the washer does ok but it's limited because its a front loader. the dryer is awesome since it has the steam function my wife really likes that feature. I can't understand how these manufacturers can claim they can wash items with what seems like a cup of water? the clothes just slosh around in a tiny bit of water for a long time. Makes no sense to me.

old abe

Speed Queen are very high quality, and last forever. Variable water level for different size loads.

slimcake

Well it is just the wife and I and we now have a septic system to deal with. That and the way I laid out the laundry room I thought it would be nice to have a shelf over the top of the w/d.... I will look at speed queen but don't know if I can win the battle with my better half... Are front loads really that bad?

dfattack

Well it is just the wife and I and we now have a septic system to deal with. That and the way I laid out the laundry room I thought it would be nice to have a shelf over the top of the w/d.... I will look at speed queen but don't know if I can win the battle with my better half... Are front loads really that bad?

I have two houses and both are on well and septic. I have cabinets over all of the W/D's. As far as are they really that bad? That depends on the individual. If you are concerned about being environmentally friendly then by all means get one of the newer front loader machines. The front loader we have does clean. We have experimented with different items of clothes that were dirty and was surprised how clean they came out considering the little amount of water the machines use. The biggest complaint my wife has is when certain whites have a stain that she wants out or when bath towels have this lingering smell even though they look clean. She will then use the speed queen machines. The reason she uses the front load machine at all is because it's the set that is in the laundry room next to the kitchen. It's the most convenient location for her. We bought these machines a few years ago. When she wants to make sure something is cleaned properly 100% she brings it to the basement and uses the speed queen. We are going to replace the front load washing machine soon. I just need to find someone who will take the front loaders. I'm not just going to toss them. They do have some good qualities but In my opinion they will never be as good as the old fashioned top load center agitator full water level full hot water machines. Bad English I know.

I would think you will get opinions on both extremes. it will depend on what's important to you and your wife...mostly your wife :peaceful: Like which sled is best or which truck is best...the opinions will be all over the place. just listen to peoples comments, decide witch (for frnash) of those comments makes sense to you, then make the decision that best fits your needs.

ezra

f loads suck , unless u like the smell of moldy washers . if u do get suckered in to a f load always keep the door open and buy the warranty no matter what it cost .

jetrep

I recently had my LG front loader fail. It was built in 2004 or 2005 and was trouble free until a month ago. I took it apart and found the failure. Parts were available and I repaired the unit. The biggest problem I believe with the front loaders is that they don't drain as nicely. From my research all the front loaders support the inner stainless steel basket with a cast aluminum "spider." These spiders corrode like you wouldn't believe. The failure on my machine was the spider. It actually cracked! I've read that detergent is actually corrosive to the aluminum. The spider gets really gross. The same water that is cleaning your clothes is sloshing around on the spider as well. Do a google search for corroded spiders and you'll see how they end up. Anyway, from what I've gathered you should run bleach through your front loader once a month.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...pzSAhUB0YMKHZ3hAlcQ_AUICCgB&biw=1812&bih=1248

Before I repaired my machine I started researching buying a new unit. From what I can gather top loaders are a bit more reliable but contrary to what you may want to believe the front loaders clean clothes better. Companies such as Consumer Reports do test these things using a scientific approach and the front loaders out clean the top loaders. This is not to say there is anything wrong with top loaders but don't fool yourself into thinking they are superior because they use more water.

I run a lot of very filthy clothing through my machine since I do a lot of dirt biking. I take the dirty/muddy gear off and toss it straight into the machine. It always comes out clean.

dfattack

I recently had my LG front loader fail. It was built in 2004 or 2005 and was trouble free until a month ago. I took it apart and found the failure. Parts were available and I repaired the unit. The biggest problem I believe with the front loaders is that they don't drain as nicely. From my research all the front loaders support the inner stainless steel basket with a cast aluminum "spider." These spiders corrode like you wouldn't believe. The failure on my machine was the spider. It actually cracked! I've read that detergent is actually corrosive to the aluminum. The spider gets really gross. The same water that is cleaning your clothes is sloshing around on the spider as well. Do a google search for corroded spiders and you'll see how they end up. Anyway, from what I've gathered you should run bleach through your front loader once a month.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cor...pzSAhUB0YMKHZ3hAlcQ_AUICCgB&biw=1812&bih=1248

Before I repaired my machine I started researching buying a new unit. From what I can gather top loaders are a bit more reliable but contrary to what you may want to believe the front loaders clean clothes better. Companies such as Consumer Reports do test these things using a scientific approach and the front loaders out clean the top loaders. This is not to say there is anything wrong with top loaders but don't fool yourself into thinking they are superior because they use more water.

I run a lot of very filthy clothing through my machine since I do a lot of dirt biking. I take the dirty/muddy gear off and toss it straight into the machine. It always comes out clean.

Overall, I respectfully disagree with a few points and agree with some others.

First, yes it's important to run the washer cleaning cycle. this will help significantly to reduce what I was referring to earlier as the "lingering smell" in the clothes. I also agree they can clean clothes effectively.

I disagree however that they clean clothes better. I used to refer to consumer reports test back in the 80's but have since realized (IN MY OPINION) they tend to be politically on the left and very much support left leaning causes. The front load machines fall right into this category...little water used, little soap used.... Some machines don't even give you direct temperature control. Instead you select the type of clothes you are washing and the machine decides for you what temperature to use. Again, this "saves" and falls right into their causes...therefore supporting all of the "green" environmentally friendly machines. I like to have the ability to choose the water temp and water amount myself. A good example of this is that i can't wash my microfiber car towels in my front loader since they are so absorbent there isn't enough water to fully rinse out the soap in the towels. Even with a full load top loader i need to run two cycles with no soap just to rinse out all the residual soap. The speed queen machine has a 2nd and 3rd rinse option and now I don't have to go back and restart my machines like to I had to before just to get all the soap out.

To me its simple. The dirtier your vehicle is the more water you are going to use to clean it. Same goes for clothes.

Again, this is my opinion and I'm sure many will have their own as well. I'm just trying to help anyone reading who's trying to decide on what to buy. I just went through the last few years trying to figure out what to buy. I have figured it out and settled on the traditional top load/full size agitator speed queens.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
We've been using our whirlpool washer and dryer since 1995. I've had to replace a few things over the years, but they still work great after 21 years.

frnash

… Do a google search for corroded spiders and you'll see how they end up. …
See also: (click →) "Lawsuit over front-load washers may drive consumers back to energy-wasting models". (Found by Google at "TreeHugger"??? (Oh ye dogs! :hopelessness:)
"About TreeHugger
TreeHugger is the leading media outlet dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream."

Incidentally, My old Kenmore top-loader washer died ≈19 months ago with a transmission failure, and I replaced it with a refurbished 2010 LG front loader, Model WM2501HVA, for $545.00. As a single old geezer, I clearly don't work it like a family would, nor do I need to wash bunch of "dirty/muddy dirt biking gear", but I have to say the "Stain Cycle" option on this washer:

LG3.jpeg ――― LG4A.jpg

… is nothing less than magical on the occasional difficult stains. I also routinely use the "Extra Rinse" and "Water Plus" options, and leave the door ajar until the innards are thoroughly dry. Thus far I haven't had any "'lingering smell' in the clothes", nor mold.

Not just myself, but on one occasion I had a house guest in near panic with a nasty stain on an expensive shirt. When washed as the one item using the stain cycle, the shirt cleaned up like new.

Also, this is essential:
IMPORTANT: Your washing machine is designed for use with only High-Efficiency (HE) detergents. HE detergents are formulated specifically for front-load washers and contain suds-reducing agents. Always look for the HE symbol when purchasing detergent. HE detergents produce fewer suds, dissolve more efficiently to improve washing and rinsing performance, and help to keep the interior of your washer clean. Using a regular detergent may cause oversudsing and unsatisfactory performance.

Attachments

• LG4.jpeg
    LG4.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 6

jetrep

Overall, I respectfully disagree with a few points and agree with some others.

First, yes it's important to run the washer cleaning cycle. this will help significantly to reduce what I was referring to earlier as the "lingering smell" in the clothes. I also agree they can clean clothes effectively.

I disagree however that they clean clothes better. I used to refer to consumer reports test back in the 80's but have since realized (IN MY OPINION) they tend to be politically on the left and very much support left leaning causes. The front load machines fall right into this category...little water used, little soap used.... Some machines don't even give you direct temperature control. Instead you select the type of clothes you are washing and the machine decides for you what temperature to use. Again, this "saves" and falls right into their causes...therefore supporting all of the "green" environmentally friendly machines. I like to have the ability to choose the water temp and water amount myself. A good example of this is that i can't wash my microfiber car towels in my front loader since they are so absorbent there isn't enough water to fully rinse out the soap in the towels. Even with a full load top loader i need to run two cycles with no soap just to rinse out all the residual soap. The speed queen machine has a 2nd and 3rd rinse option and now I don't have to go back and restart my machines like to I had to before just to get all the soap out.

To me its simple. The dirtier your vehicle is the more water you are going to use to clean it. Same goes for clothes.

Again, this is my opinion and I'm sure many will have their own as well. I'm just trying to help anyone reading who's trying to decide on what to buy. I just went through the last few years trying to figure out what to buy. I have figured it out and settled on the traditional top load/full size agitator speed queens.

I don't have a dog in this fight and could care less what anybody buys. I'm simply sharing what I discovered with my recent research. Plenty of people dislike Consumer Reports. they aren't the only ones who test these things. I never said front loader is the end all be all. My understanding is that for the average load they do a better job cleaning. It's easy to point out the exceptions for any "argument"

In no way am I a huge proponent of the front loader. The plastic outer drum housing of my unit has a ton of webbing/rib features in the back to provide strength and rigidity. Some of these pocket areas were holding dirt/filth that was pretty gross when I blew it out with the air compressor. Not ideal! For all I know top loaders have an area that ends up trapping filth too but it seems less likely.

Enjoy your Speed Queen. Where's the snow?

dfattack

I don't have a dog in this fight and could care less what anybody buys. I'm simply sharing what I discovered with my recent research. Plenty of people dislike Consumer Reports. they aren't the only ones who test these things. I never said front loader is the end all be all. My understanding is that for the average load they do a better job cleaning. It's easy to point out the exceptions for any "argument"

In no way am I a huge proponent of the front loader. The plastic outer drum housing of my unit has a ton of webbing/rib features in the back to provide strength and rigidity. Some of these pocket areas were holding dirt/filth that was pretty gross when I blew it out with the air compressor. Not ideal! For all I know top loaders have an area that ends up trapping filth too but it seems less likely.

Enjoy your Speed Queen. Where's the snow?

Oh man...If I could find snow I for sure wouldn't be talking about washers!