Washout on Trail 3

dfattack

Well if it was all of a sudden fixed one day...no harm no foul?

A friend of mine does the repairs on these types of trail issues in the U.P. He works directly for the DNR. What if clubs had the authority to manage the process (using state funds already allocated for these repairs) thereby speeding of the repair process?

Just a thought. Getting a little frustrated seeing all these areas needing attention and then we wait for the red tape to clear.

garageguy

My club had a culvert that failed and they called the Dnr. While they were waiting for the dnr they replaced the culvert themselves as it was flooding the trail. The Dnr showed up checked their work and told them they did a good job.

goofy600

So in Michigan if you want the dnr to pay for it you have to get approval from them before repair can be made. All clubs do have a contingency fund of $1000 that can be used for anything basically but $1000 doesn’t go to far. Otherwise it has to come out of club money saved up if you want it done before dnr approval and then dnr won’t reimburse. So it becomes somewhat of an issue depending upon the cost of repair. And yes sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

eao

As of May 18th......
FYI- MI-TRALE is happy to announce the BN Route is now open from Houghton to Twin Lakes. When you work together good things happen! The area is not fixed yet, it is roped off, marked well but the trail narrows and there is an exposed culvert so caution is needed. Trail will remain open for now as the permanent solution moves forward. Please use caution, respect the signs, ride slowly and ride right.

ICT Sledder

As of May 18th......
Why is this small washout such a challenge? Need 25 feet of corrugated metal pipe, a dump truck's worth of whatever aggregate is called for, and a mini-excavator. I mean I get the scale of the Father's Day flood damages, but come on this ain't that.

I love the UP, but sometime's I swear it is a parallel universe of some sort.

wiscrev

Why is this small washout such a challenge? Need 25 feet of corrugated metal pipe, a dump truck's worth of whatever aggregate is called for, and a mini-excavator. I mean I get the scale of the Father's Day flood damages, but come on this ain't that.

That's down-state for ya. Everything thru Lansing.

goofy600

Yes sounds simple, but $1000 for a culvert another $1000 to truck culvert and stone in, then probably another $1500-2000 to dig it up and install it. So 3-4k to get that thing fixed so yes easy fix in the grade picture. And that is if you can get a dump truck to the sight of if it’s between a couple bridges and now you have weight limits on bridges so now have to move with smaller vehicles and that takes more time and money. So again have to know the whole situation before saying easy. And then you have to have the help to get it done.

warner

I need to look closer at that spot but I don't even think a culvert is needed, don't believe there was one there.
we saw many many logging road washouts while out in the sticks that day.
Makes me chuckle a bit about all the enviromentalists whining about save the earth/tread lightly when OLE Mother Nature could care less, she does what she does and does not ask permission.

dfattack

Yes sounds simple, but $1000 for a culvert another $1000 to truck culvert and stone in, then probably another $1500-2000 to dig it up and install it. So 3-4k to get that thing fixed so yes easy fix in the grade picture. And that is if you can get a dump truck to the sight of if it’s between a couple bridges and now you have weight limits on bridges so now have to move with smaller vehicles and that takes more time and money. So again have to know the whole situation before saying easy. And then you have to have the help to get it done.
Very true

ICT Sledder

It is 100% a simple job for the contractors who own the necessary equipment to get it done. I used to be a PM/estimator for a commercial GC earlier in life, and this isn't even a job we would have taken on its so small. This is one rung above "two guys and a truck".

Last edited:

goofy600

It is 100% a simple job for the contractors who own the necessary equipment to get it done. I used to be a PM/estimator for a commercial GC earlier in life, and this isn't even a job we would have taken on its so small. This is one rung above "two guys and a truck".
Very true it should be a simple job, but as you just said your company wouldn’t even take a job that small which is also a problem up here. One other thing everyone has to understand up here the UP they have weight road restrictions until the frost comes out and roads dry up and that is possibly delaying the work being done. I know in Gogebic county the road restrictions are still on.

eao

Nothing is simple with the state involved. Its state property, its state money to repair and has to meet state requirements.