Wawa, Ontario

Cat-ryder50

Heading to Wawa this Thursday, will be our first time ever riding in Canada. Looking to ride in the bush for the majority of the trip. Anyone have any tips of things we should look out for? I have heard to bring. Extra gas as the gas stations
Are few and far between. Thanks in advance I hope there is as much snow as they say.

Hoosier

Heading to Wawa this Thursday, will be our first time ever riding in Canada. Looking to ride in the bush for the majority of the trip. Anyone have any tips of things we should look out for? I have heard to bring. Extra gas as the gas stations
Are few and far between. Thanks in advance I hope there is as much snow as they say.

You won't regret it. We went up around President's Day weekend - first trip to that area. It's absolutely incredible, and we didn't even scratch the surface of it because our time was limited by extreme cold. They still have tons of snow, and the temps are great now too. We intend to go back next year - I'd go back this week for sure if I could get away. It's ridiculous how great the riding is and how little traffic there is. Gas is more, permits are more, but with the US dollar up right now, it's not a bad deal. It's hard to believe how good the trails are and how well they are maintained and then you see so few sleds, and that was on a busy mid-Feb weekend.

We stayed at the Bristol Motel - it was priced right and the owner used to help maintain the trail system, so he knew where to go or don't go. You can walk to breakfast or dinner from there also.

Look up "the groomer guy" on facebook - you don't need to have a facebook acct to see his posts. He is a good source of info about riding in the area. He is the club President for the area just north of there. PM me if you can't reach him.

I was told to stop in Jones Power Sports (Polaris dealer) in town, and they will point you to the best powderspots. We didn't get a chance to do that but we will next time we are there.

Here's a site with some info on the area (it was put together for an event that had earlier in the year, and includes some suggested off trail spots):

You can pretty much do any kind of riding out there you want. Towns are generally far apart, so gas isn't necessary for most trail routes but might be needed if you plan to burn a bunch of gas playing off trail. One caveat: I was told that because the economy has been rough up there the past decade or so, the trail system isn't what it used to be. By that I mean there are fewer maintained trails than there once were - some of the clubs have simply folded and the trails are no longer maintained. They lost a big one that went from the Soo up to Wawa this year, but it's supposed to be back again next year. We rode some of these non-maintained trails and had an absolute riot playing in the powder.

They don't use ethanol so you might want to carry a little isopropol - I had a carb freeze but again it was -20 that night, so maybe it was my own fault.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If gas prices and the exchange rates stay close to what they are now, we'll be going back every year. You can trail ride without nearly as much fear of the guy coming around the next corner on your side. Off trail places are all over the place - it's not Wyoming, but there are good hills and steep spots and it's easier to breathe when you have to dig out a sled!

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Watch for rocks. You can not bring full gas cans across the border. Looks like word is out about Wawa. Been riding there since 99. Used to stay at the Northern Lights. Wawa motor has cabins if you have a group of guys. get the map. (I can't believe they gave up all the best spots .

attack_06

Can u get across without current passport I think mine expired

- - - Updated - - -

Pr1 u goin up there yet this season do they maintain any trails yet after apr 1st I may go up yet except for my passport deal never needed one before

polarisrider1

Wawa and surrounding areas are in a decline. Gold mines closed, diamond mimes closed. Neck deep snow. Go figure. No to the a holes on here who think tog. And Wawa fund my support. Shut off the prison library computer now. And move along.

Hoosier

Wawa and surrounding areas are in a decline. Gold mines closed, diamond mimes closed. Neck deep snow. Go figure. No to the a holes on here who think tog. And Wawa fund my support. Shut off the prison library computer now. And move along.

I did notice half the businesses up there seemed to be shut down and not just seasonally. And like I said earlier the trail system is not nearly as expansive as it was a decade ago - some of the loops you see online cant be done right now. Still on the trails we rode we saw almost no traffic - like single digits a day - then check here at night and read about how busy the UP was the same days.

polarisrider1

I did notice half the businesses up there seemed to be shut down and not just seasonally. And like I said earlier the trail system is not nearly as expansive as it was a decade ago - some of the loops you see online cant be done right now. Still on the trails we rode we saw almost no traffic - like single digits a day - then check here at night and read about how busy the UP was the same days.

I think what people hear about border crossing , speed limit. Etc. Scare some away. Wawa and it's people are fantastic. Off trail is very good. Heck they give you a map.

Have remote border pass,enhanced drivers license.should be good to go.Worth the 12 hour drive from se mn?I see mapquest has me going through arrowhead and up around lake?really the fastest way?We have looked at this area before but always wondered how it really is.shows a pile of snow there yet.as much if not more than most mount. areas right now!

Hoosier

Have remote border pass,enhanced drivers license.should be good to go.Worth the 12 hour drive from se mn?I see mapquest has me going through arrowhead and up around lake?really the fastest way?We have looked at this area before but always wondered how it really is.shows a pile of snow there yet.as much if not more than most mount. areas right now!

I have no idea if it's worth it to you to drive that far. I drive at least 9 hrs to ride anywhere I ride so it's not much farther for me. It's a lot different than riding in the UP and now that I thought about it more I don't want to oversell it because I look for different things when riding than maybe others do. Towns are few and far between, there isn't a bar scene to speak of that I saw, the turns and general directions are not marked as well, the hours the gas stations and other establishments are open aren't the same - in general it's much more remote wilderness riding. If you break down, you're probably a long ways from where you want to be, so you have to be more cautious. If that's what you are looking for, you'll love it. If not, you might not. Depends what you are looking for.

sms

Anyone been to this area for just off-trail. Are there specific areas , maybe a map that shows area's that are legal to off-trail ride. Just curious what the law of the land is so to speak?

I have no idea if it's worth it to you to drive that far. I drive at least 9 hrs to ride anywhere I ride so it's not much farther for me. It's a lot different than riding in the UP and now that I thought about it more I don't want to oversell it because I look for different things when riding than maybe others do. Towns are few and far between, there isn't a bar scene to speak of that I saw, the turns and general directions are not marked as well, the hours the gas stations and other establishments are open aren't the same - in general it's much more remote wilderness riding. If you break down, you're probably a long ways from where you want to be, so you have to be more cautious. If that's what you are looking for, you'll love it. If not, you might not. Depends what you are looking for.
did you just purchase one week pass or entire year?
Sounds like our kind of riding!As long as we can get gas every 100 miles were good.Have been watching snow in this area for a few years now and always seem to be on high side.Now just to get a few guys together for the ride.

polarisrider1

Sounds like our kind of riding!As long as we can get gas every 100 miles were good.Have been watching snow in this area for a few years now and always seem to be on high side.Now just to get a few guys together for the ride.

I'm in and know the area well.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone been to this area for just off-trail. Are there specific areas , maybe a map that shows area's that are legal to off-trail ride. Just curious what the law of the land is so to speak?

Yes, yes and yes. Hope that helps.

Hoosier

The week we went up, they had a 3 day try our trails free permit deal, so we used that and bought a 3 day pass for the other days. I can't remember what it cost but it was a lot less than a season pass. The 7 day pass isn't too bad either. And a Canadian dollar is about $0.80 right now. Gas was about $1.05/liter CAN, so with the exchange rate that works out to about $3.35/gallon. I think we were paying about a buck less in the truck on the way up. So if you burn 100 gallons while you are there, it's $100 more in gas.

The area is so big that it helps to do your homework before just going out riding - many trails aren't open so some of the loops that we thought we might do weren't really an option. The owner of the Bristol in Wawa is a good source of info. For the trails are are maintained, gas is available at least every 90 miles where we rode. The big trail that comes up to Wawa from the South is not maintained this year because the club folded - if you want to bush ride through that, it's more like 150 miles. Sounds like fun but you would need to carry quite a bit of gas to make that. Supposedly it's going to open next year and there will be a gas stop halfway up.

I kind of like going out and not having to ride through a town until I need gas, but others might prefer to see a station or a pitstop every 30-50 miles or so. I'm not sure how long they groom trails. They had a warm up last week - nothing too major but you might want to look into scratchers if they don't get more fresh snow before you go.

We've only been there once so I don't even think we scratched the surface of what is there, much less are experts on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!We had plans to head up into canada this year via gunflint trail during the ride canada free weekend but some trails were closed yet in that area due to low snow.Looks like this will be on next years bucket list.Riding buddys say there done for the year!Couple friends are up in munising area this week and say 4' of snow from there to paradise.conditions good.

Hoosier

So did you go?