We need to be reminded $$$

mike1970

I'm going to say something about minimum wages that probably isn't going to be popular, but it's something I feel passionately about. I work in the service industry, and always have. All the way back to my high school days. I think Jonesin said it above, but these were always positions held by teenagers and college kids. I grew up in the 80's. It was cool to have a job, plus, I needed the money. My folks didn't have a lot, although we were never in need. I needed gas money. Driving was a privilege, and if I wanted gas money, I had to earn it. If I needed or wanted a different vehicle, I had to buy it. I wanted to go to college. My parents, as well as those of my friends, didn't pay for full ride educations.
Today I see parents buying cars for kids, giving them outrageous amounts of "allowance" to do the things they want, and paying for college educations 100%. There's nothing wrong with wanting to give your kids the moon and stars, but I don't think it teaches them the right amount of motivation, pride and responsibility. And these same kids graduate from college and think they should have a 6 figure income right out of school.
Back to the service industry and others that "needed" these kids and able bodies to fill positions. They can't find them. Instead, they have to pay adults to do them, and these adults have bills to pay. They can't and won't work for $7.50 an hour. So, welcome to the $15/hr. minimum wage, and all the prices rising to be able to pay for these workers. It's a domino effect that ripples across all the layers of our ecomony.
OK, enough soap box. I have work to do! :)

old abe

pclark, and dfattack, I just looked into the Fuel issue a bit more as I need to lay some in. Bad timing! My market advisor late Nov, early Dec, 23 told me get it bought. Like a fool I didn't. The rack price where I'm at hasn't been that low since. Even with the fuel stabilizer that I always use, I didn't like my $$$ setting in fuel storage tanks for that long. Ah, as $$$ is liquid, eh. It now appears that the Industry doesn't like seeing prices we deal with to be very much lower, if any than what we have now. That sucks with the Record production. I think a lot of it has to do with that mess in the Middle East shipping being unstable. Just my opinion, and as with many others. I've found over my many years that following good advice, beats Wishful Thinking every time!

dfattack

Abe, It is amazing how everything in our economy is so interconnected.

Mike1970. I agree with you. Minimum wage jobs are not designed to be able to put two kids through college and support a family of 4, but the left wing marxists want to see that as a thing. I have kids come in who don't know how to look at someone when speaking, can't hold a broom or want days off just because there's a cool party to go to this weekend. If they don't get it off they quit.

As far as older people working...I will take them any day over the younger kids these days. They are reliable, don't steal from you and know how to communicate.

old abe

Mike1970. I agree with you. Minimum wage jobs are not designed to be able to put two kids through college and support a family of 4, but the left wing marxists want to see that as a thing. I have kids come in who don't know how to look at someone when speaking, can't hold a broom or want days off just because there's a cool party to go to this weekend. If they don't get it off they quit.

As far as older people working...I will take them any day over the younger kids these days. They are reliable, don't steal from you and know how to communicate.
A big part of today's younger people goes back to how they were raised, brought up imo.

timo

I see it in the young people we have also. No eye contact,, stare at ground when talking to you. I always chalked it up to they've been staring as screens they're entire life and haven't developed any communication skills.

ICT Sledder

We don't have pure, unimpeded, efficient classic capitalism. We have a system wherein inefficiencies and impediments have intentionally been added to appease various special interest groups. The individual consumer is ultimately the loser.

And 3% inflation is considered "healthy". When it falls below that we start talking about recession, or worse, depression. Inflation rate is a leading indicator of both. Trust me you don't want to live in a country where the inflation rate is zero or negative - ask any relatives still alive who lived through the 1930's.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I needed gas money. Driving was a privilege, and if I wanted gas money, I had to earn it. If I needed or wanted a different vehicle, I had to buy it. I wanted to go to college. My parents, as well as those of my friends, didn't pay for full ride educations.
Today I see parents buying cars for kids, giving them outrageous amounts of "allowance" to do the things they want, and paying for college educations 100%.
Just read the other day, more young people are transported to school by automobile than ride the bus. Either the parents drop off the youngsters or those with licenses have their own vehicle. 53% of school age children don't ride the school bus for the first time in the history of the U.S.

chunk06

I'm going to say something about minimum wages that probably isn't going to be popular, but it's something I feel passionately about. I work in the service industry, and always have. All the way back to my high school days. I think Jonesin said it above, but these were always positions held by teenagers and college kids. I grew up in the 80's. It was cool to have a job, plus, I needed the money. My folks didn't have a lot, although we were never in need. I needed gas money. Driving was a privilege, and if I wanted gas money, I had to earn it. If I needed or wanted a different vehicle, I had to buy it. I wanted to go to college. My parents, as well as those of my friends, didn't pay for full ride educations.
Today I see parents buying cars for kids, giving them outrageous amounts of "allowance" to do the things they want, and paying for college educations 100%. There's nothing wrong with wanting to give your kids the moon and stars, but I don't think it teaches them the right amount of motivation, pride and responsibility. And these same kids graduate from college and think they should have a 6 figure income right out of school.
Back to the service industry and others that "needed" these kids and able bodies to fill positions. They can't find them. Instead, they have to pay adults to do them, and these adults have bills to pay. They can't and won't work for $7.50 an hour. So, welcome to the $15/hr. minimum wage, and all the prices rising to be able to pay for these workers. It's a domino effect that ripples across all the layers of our ecomony.
OK, enough soap box. I have work to do! :)
last weekend we were in a small college town on a Sunday for a swim meet. I went to a chain sandwich shop to get the kids lunch. Two people were working and running behind, one of the employees kept apologizing to customers and said they were short staffed, The employees were both middle aged. I'm still in disbelief that I was in a short staffed restaurant in a college town and both employees were not college students.:ROFLMAO:

bobt

This post turned out better than I thought, originally it was because I'm sick of hearing the amounts spent and given away to countries and individuals who could care less about the USA.

We all can relate to 1 million dollars, however anything beyond that is hard to comprehend without a "graphic" comparison,,,,, at least to me 😵💫

old abe

Yeah, well, my son was working on our selfpropelled sprayer today and discovered it had a coolant leak coming from the water pump. It has a John Deere engine in it for power. He went to get parts to fix the problem. No repair kit available, just new or reman pumps. Plus having to also buy a new drive pulley for it as it's a press fit cast pulley, it's a one and done due to the press fit. No reusing it. $ 950 and away we go!

pclark

Yeah, well, my son was working on our selfpropelled sprayer today and discovered it had a coolant leak coming from the water pump. It has a John Deere engine in it for power. He went to get parts to fix the problem. No repair kit available, just new or reman pumps. Plus having to also buy a new drive pulley for it as it's a press fit cast pulley, it's a one and done due to the press fit. No reusing it. $ 950 and away we go!
Sucks, screwed again

old abe

Sucks, screwed again
Yeah, well, pclark, farm machinery has increased 60 % plus since before the Covid. A $450K combine, then, now right $750K. I say big time Gouging after watching Deere's net profits in that same period. Sorry but what my repair costs yesterday set me off, once again.

pclark

Yeah, well, pclark, farm machinery has increased 60 % plus since before the Covid. A $450K combine, then, now right $750K. I say big time Gouging after watching Deere's net profits in that same period. Sorry but what my repair costs yesterday set me off, once again.
We all feel your pain OA, believe me when I say that.

euphoric1

Just read the other day, more young people are transported to school by automobile than ride the bus. Either the parents drop off the youngsters or those with licenses have their own vehicle. 53% of school age children don't ride the school bus for the first time in the history of the U.S.
thats crazy but true, we walked to school for 8 years and then city bus for 3 1/2 years until I earned enough money to buy my Olds Cutlass Broughm 4 door ( coffin on wheels lol ) I wasnt allowed to drive my parents car until I could afford to pay my share of insurance and I like many of us I'm sure had to earn the money to buy my own car. everything people do for the younger generation today... no matter what it is is why we live in an entitlement society now a days, no body to blame but ourselves.

wiscrev

$750? Category 9's are going for a mil, and that's without the header.

wiscrev

Before I retired here [2013], we were looking at housing in Ironwood because that’s where kids and grandkids are. I walked into Walmart and happened to spy a manager. Jokingly, I asked if they were hiring [Jeff Dunham’s Walter, “get your #%$^ and get out! effect]. He said certainly, in fact they prefer older people because the younger ones won’t work! Very telling right there.

old abe

$750? Category 9's are going for a mil, and that's without the header.
Yeah. I know a person, who bought a new X9 Deere for last years harvest. All set up, $1.6 Mil! Says it really performs, they no longer have to work after dark, because they have nowhere to go with the grain. o_O He has also spent more than that $3.5 mil, to obtain the related trucks, trailers, carts, and all the grain handling equipment necessary in order to keep the monster moving, and not sitting idle, waiting to get rid of the grain. Is all that really worth it! Seems as he has created far more liabilities than the present $$ grain prices will service? Perhaps being unmanageable financially to service the debts? Scary, as I've seen the big one's fall much harder than do the small ones. Suchas 10years ago in SW MI, and IN. And that usually takes other people down with them. Perhaps as collateral damage? Not so kind either. He also has a large amount of land he has purchased, with debt to service also. :unsure: As they say, a fool and his money soon part ways! However good luck to him.

dfattack

Yeah. I know a person, who bought a new X9 Deere for last years harvest. All set up, $1.6 Mil! Says it really performs, they no longer have to work after dark, because they have nowhere to go with the grain. o_O He has also spent more than that $3.5 mil, to obtain the related trucks, trailers, carts, and all the grain handling equipment necessary in order to keep the monster moving, and not sitting idle, waiting to get rid of the grain. Is all that really worth it! Seems as he has created far more liabilities than the present $$ grain prices will service? Perhaps being unmanageable financially to service the debts? Scary, as I've seen the big one's fall much harder than do the small ones. Suchas 10years ago in SW MI, and IN. And that usually takes other people down with them. Perhaps as collateral damage? Not so kind either. He also has a large amount of land he has purchased, with debt to service also. :unsure: As they say, a fool and his money soon part ways! However good luck to him.
sorry if this gets off topic, but Abe what is a typical lending term for equipment like that? What is a reasonable amount of time to get that paid off then operate with that same equipment? In other words how long will they last before having to trade in or purchase again? I have no clue and am curious. I always wanted to be a farmer since I was a kid. :)

mike1970

I actually had a great experience with "younger" workers yesterday. Had to replace our dishwasher. Bought it at the Big Blue store and a local installer came to put it in. 2 young guys in their early 20's, very similar to my son. They were super courteous, great communicators, and fast! So much so that I felt compelled to give both of them a tip. It was a wonderful experience, and very nice to see these young men getting into the trades at an early age.