weather changes fast anymore

mrbb

OK, so, 3/12-22 was sunny and like 50 here, next day, 3-13-22 was in low 30's and snowing, got about 8+ inches of snow,
Next day, 3-14-22 was minus 4 in the am, and about 30 by 4 pm and rising still
3-15-22 in 00's, 3-16-22 in the 50's, and 3- 17-22 in the 70's that night first bear of the yr shows up
rather early on the norm for bears here, but what a week in weather
and today in the 80's
so, in less than a week it went from minus 4 to the 80's here , snow came and gone in a very short amount of time

these wild swings we get anymore just seem crazy to me , and it sure is effecting wildlife and mast crops here!
had robins show up this winter in mid Feb!,
which, I don't normally see them here till late march if not early April!
been hearing geese fly NORTH since early Feb too! and thats WAY early to be heading north to frozen grounds!

I'm not squawking global you know what!~ BLAH BLAH BLAH
just saying
weather changes fast more often here than it used too!

any how here is a pic of my first bear of the yr in the back yard, was on deck last night too, a young male orphan I helped raise 3 yrs ago or so!
guess the heat wave got him up and on his feet looking for a snack, going to be a while till good food is available, he should have stayed a asleep little longer HAHA!

119 (2).JPG

snobuilder

OK, so, 3/12-22 was sunny and like 50 here, next day, 3-13-22 was in low 30's and snowing, got about 8+ inches of snow,
Next day, 3-14-22 was minus 4 in the am, and about 30 by 4 pm and rising still
3-15-22 in 00's, 3-16-22 in the 50's, and 3- 17-22 in the 70's that night first bear of the yr shows up
rather early on the norm for bears here, but what a week in weather
and today in the 80's
so, in less than a week it went from minus 4 to the 80's here , snow came and gone in a very short amount of time

these wild swings we get anymore just seem crazy to me , and it sure is effecting wildlife and mast crops here!
had robins show up this winter in mid Feb!,
which, I don't normally see them here till late march if not early April!
been hearing geese fly NORTH since early Feb too! and thats WAY early to be heading north to frozen grounds!

I'm not squawking global you know what!~ BLAH BLAH BLAH
just saying
weather changes fast more often here than it used too!

any how here is a pic of my first bear of the yr in the back yard, was on deck last night too, a young male orphan I helped raise 3 yrs ago or so!
guess the heat wave got him up and on his feet looking for a snack, going to be a while till good food is available, he should have stayed a asleep little longer HAHA!

View attachment 67165
nothing new. ask any dinosaur.

mrbb

Will the bears go back to hibernation, or are they up for the year now?
unless it gets very cold again, he will stay about eating what he can find
he's lucky in a way, as there are a lot of food plots of things he can eat, in my area planted just for wildlife and some still have standing corn as of yesterday, went for a ride on ATV and had a look, which will feed him till green up and then some!

Bars are not TRUE hibernators, which most don;'t know this
so, them being awake off and on thru a winter is not unusual , but these very warm days , play games with there systems
just like,causing issue's with tree's starting to bud extra early as sap flow is based on air temps more or less
so when you get very early air temps before NORMAL seasons,
it screws up how the tree's produce or not, mast crops

as for weather swings, being about since the Dinosaurs
I'm sure there were some

BUT IMO
based on my life time living in same place, the last decade or so, things have been far from normal
used to get snow for weeks every winter, local trails would be open for weeks if not months in winter time
the past 10 yrs, I don;t think the local trails here have been open for 3 weeks at a time
and in the past 10 yrs 2 of the yrs the trails NEVER opened, which was a first and second ONLY time in the past 30 yrs of them being there, and a few of the last 10 yrs they were only open for like 2-3 days a yr on top of some not being open at all!
SO< NORMAL patterns?
not in the past 30 yrs here, things have been lets say Extra ODD on temp swings
not crying global warming or that crap either, just saying what has been going on here !!~

snobuilder

unless it gets very cold again, he will stay about eating what he can find
he's lucky in a way, as there are a lot of food plots of things he can eat, in my area planted just for wildlife and some still have standing corn as of yesterday, went for a ride on ATV and had a look, which will feed him till green up and then some!

Bars are not TRUE hibernators, which most don;'t know this
so, them being awake off and on thru a winter is not unusual , but these very warm days , play games with there systems
just like,causing issue's with tree's starting to bud extra early as sap flow is based on air temps more or less
so when you get very early air temps before NORMAL seasons,
it screws up how the tree's produce or not, mast crops

as for weather swings, being about since the Dinosaurs
I'm sure there were some

BUT IMO
based on my life time living in same place, the last decade or so, things have been far from normal
used to get snow for weeks every winter, local trails would be open for weeks if not months in winter time
the past 10 yrs, I don;t think the local trails here have been open for 3 weeks at a time
and in the past 10 yrs 2 of the yrs the trails NEVER opened, which was a first and second ONLY time in the past 30 yrs of them being there, and a few of the last 10 yrs they were only open for like 2-3 days a yr on top of some not being open at all!
SO< NORMAL patterns?
not in the past 30 yrs here, things have been lets say Extra ODD on temp swings
not crying global warming or that crap either, just saying what has been going on here !!~
Your bear knowledge is awesome to read about.

xsledder

If you ask my father-in-law, he claims it is the military messing with the weather to support the wars. (Hey, I don’t believe it either. I just thought i would add craziness to the thread. 🙃)

old abe

LOL, as I remember my father back in the late 60's, very early 70's, thought perhaps NASA's space, and moon shot's, could possibly be effecting our weather? He also thought, predicted that as they began to clear the SA rain forests, it would have adverse effects on our US midwest, corn belt weather, in due time. Idk? My father did many things by the "lunar sign", time frame, of the moon. Especially livestock, pet castration, spaying, and gardening. I can attest to there being absolute beneficial results by doing so with these procedures. Just saying.

mrbb

Your bear knowledge is awesome to read about.
a bout 40 yrs now of working with bears, I still enjoy them as much as I did the first time I got involved with them, and still learning new things
there just rather fascinating critters ,IMO !~ haha!

katden4

They are extremely fascinating I agree. We had a cabin off the grid for the last 20 years or so. No neighbors for about a mile or two. We got to watch so many bears over the years, and it never got old. Only had one time they tore all the screens from the windows, and luckily never broke the glass. Lots of scratch's in the glass, but it didn't break any. I have no idea what he, or they smelled, it was spring and we don't keep anything but canned food in the winter? Other than that one time, they never bothered us or the cabin. So interesting to just watch them, so graceful, but yet fast when they wanted, or needed to be. We sold that cabin last fall, and now are up the road a bit on a lake, but haven't seen any yet at the new place. I will be setting up a few cameras this weekend and look forward to seeing a few I hope. MRBB your stories and knowledge are always great to read. Thank you for sharing.

mrbb

I too have been here about 40+ ys, never had any damage from bears, minus a rare trash can being tipped over, and I also had two window screens torn, but that was a long time ago, and to be honest I witnessed both bears in the act and yelled at them, one I actually gave a light kick in the butt too!~

the one was at my back porch door, where I keep my bird seeds(about 250+ lbs or so)
and it was a young male bear I knew since a cub,
he was standing up on its hind legs, at the screen door, it had a screen on the top section(winter time a window is there)
he accidentally leaned against the screen to get a better smell of the seeds and the screen tore, , so, he proceeded to stick his head thru the now torn screen to see what he could see!
I gather when he seen all the bird seeds, he felt he hit the lottery, IF he could NOW get to them!

well I sat back watching,a s to me it was more interesting to watch than worry about any damages!(i actually had two new extra screen doors on hand at the time that I got for free)

well I watched that small bear go from standing on its rear legs to a BIG jump and it went up and thru that top window section like a pro athlete, it never even touched the door, JUST amazing how agile they are!
he then, grabbed a 50 lb bag of sunflower seeds, picked it up and threw it out the open window in the door onto my deck!
AT that point I figured I better step in before he runs off with the bag of seeds!
I walked out on the porch, he looked at me, and I Asked him what the hell he thought he was doing??
with a dumbfounded look on his face, he hit the panic button and leaped back out the window, now this window is like 4+ ft off the ground and maybe 28 inches x 28 inches only!
he landed on the deck, looked back at me to see if I was coming after him or not
he then, THOUGHT for a few second,s tried to grab the bag of seeds, but was pretty scared of me, so, he maybe got about 4 more feet with bag before he decided it was too hard to run with it and get of f deck
so he dropped it, ran off deck and up the first tree he could get too! he sat in that tree for about 3 hours scared to some down,
guess he figured I was MAD at him
I really didn;t care, cost me like 6 bucks to replace the screen, and was worth the costs for the show I got to see!
I'm sure others might not feel the same way, but, hey we all like different things!
Bear didn;t get rewarded for its efforts and never had a issue since , I think he learned he was in the wrong!

TO be honest, I have bears all the time on my deck and near that door, they look in it all the time,, but never had anymore problems, was just dumb luck that screen tore when it did I think!

if I was honest, I think I have get a lot of respect from my local bears,
as if they know I have helped heal a lot of injured one's, raised my share of orphaned cubs, and just saved a bunch from having to be put down
that they know to leave my things alone, and get I am more help to them than any threat ,, so its better to stay on my good side maybe , in case some they they need me again! LOL

Also, cannot tell you how many times,I would be cooking food on my grill on my the deck , had bears come up on deck, eat a few fallen bird seeds and leave, never once looking at the grill

some times bear do do damage, I won't deny that, but most IMO< don;t do it to cause damage if they can help it, there noses just lead them to things they THINK they can eat and the fact there as strong and powerful as they are can some times, make a mess or do damage.
I always tell folks, when you live where they are its better to learn how to live with them, than get mad at them,!
as if you learn how to live with them, you can do so , and even get to enjoy them if your willing to take the steps to coexist in peace!

mrbb

this guy is a big teddy bear
odds are the bear was looking for the pigs food, and not the pig, or might be a different game played there!

Most folks don;t realize, bears are not very aggressive animals, and in most cases they will flee long before fighting

over the yrs here I have seen many tings chase bears away, from small cats to deer to raccoons , and sen many things steal food out of a bears mouth as well,
used to watch a chipmunk that would steal food off a mother bear and her cubs , the cubs would run up a tree every time it went in , mamma bear used to just look confused at it, like not believing it would be so brave.

when there is abundant food, bears are very non protective of food, they will even share openly with other animals , eating off the same food source next to each other.
a lot of folks just have a big misconception about bears being big dangerous aggressive animals to be feared!
when honestly, there not aggressive at all really, a bear attack is extremely a rare event, and most times its due to a SCARED bear, that someone got too close to without it knowing it was there, or an injured one!
even females with cubs, tend to be long gone as long as they know your there and have a way out!
fighting is normally a last ditch thing, even for a bear!
in all my years I personally believe most bears don't have a CLUE how big they really are, until they break the 500+ lbs range any how, after that they sort of know there a big gun in the area LOL
other wise, I seen so man bears run from things smaller then they are its hard to believe they would, if they knew there size!

When I was a kid, 5 years old about... On a warm August morning my dad brought my sister and I on a walk down our dead end road through woods that opens up to a long narrow field. You couldn't see the field until you got right to it and the idea was to be quite and hopefully sneak up on any deer that may be on the field. When we finally got to the edge of the field there was a lone bear cub no more than 20 yards away on the edge of the field. I remember my dad whispering to us to quietly turn around and head back home. Every once in a while this story comes up and my dad admits this is one of the scariest moments of his life not knowing where the cub's mother was, fearing how she would react to us if she was nearby and surprised by us getting so close to her cub.
MRBB, curious on your thoughts. Was this a truly potentially dangerous encounter or not?

mrbb

When I was a kid, 5 years old about... On a warm August morning my dad brought my sister and I on a walk down our dead end road through woods that opens up to a long narrow field. You couldn't see the field until you got right to it and the idea was to be quite and hopefully sneak up on any deer that may be on the field. When we finally got to the edge of the field there was a lone bear cub no more than 20 yards away on the edge of the field. I remember my dad whispering to us to quietly turn around and head back home. Every once in a while this story comes up and my dad admits this is one of the scariest moments of his life not knowing where the cub's mother was, fearing how she would react to us if she was nearby and surprised by us getting so close to her cub.
MRBB, curious on your thoughts. Was this a truly potentially dangerous encounter or not?
that's one of them MAYBE kind of answers,
as even bears with cubs, tend to flee long before fighting, as a injured mother isn;t much good to her cubs and they know this!
another things is, odds are pretty high that if you were that close the mother bear very likely knew you were there, they can smell you long before they can see you most times
and with that, she can use her judgement to decide what or what not to do!!

another factor that comes into play a lot with black bears any how, is how much human contact they have on a regular basis,a s there si a big difference in a black bear living in extremely remote places that may NEVER see a human
and one's that live in area's where human contact is rather common!
the reactions of will be way different
as what one will tolerate the other won't in most cases!

I have been up close and personal with a LOT of female bears with cubs(I have crawled into dens with them so close?? is some what of an understatement LOL )
I have been turkey hunting and had them walk up to with in inches of me, same with hiking and come across them!
I have had my dog tree a few with cubs as well.
in all my years about them, I have only had two female give me a bluff charge, and one was actually in my back yard, about 20 yrs ago, and I was actually inside my house looking out a window, when she, for what ever reason, she seen me or something, and she charged my house, got to the house and slapped it rather hard, then ran back to her cubs!
TO this day I have no clue why, or what would have happened had I been out side?

the second one happened to me while fishing in a very remote place and I was about 16 yrs old, had truck parked about a 1/4 mile away, and there was a ton of chipmunks running about!
I was in a small corner of a lake, had about 30 ft of water between one side of lake and the side I was on, like a finger running into the woods,
I seen the bear on the other side of me and honestly wasn't scared and was enjoying watching it eat blue berries, it also knew I was there and didn;t seem to care!
I was sitting on my side, when I heard a noise behind me, I figured it was another one of them darn chipmunks running about and paid little attention to it, then the noise got louder! I turned about and has 3 cubs about 5 ft from me, and all of a sudden they started crying and making all sorts of noises, and went up a tree right next to me!
AT this point, I now knew I the bear I had been watching was most likely there mom??
and well, I looked back at her and she was on her way to me, what MAYBE saved me LOL< was in stead of running around shore to get to me, she jumped into the water and started swimming across the 30 ft of water or so!
which slowed her down more than i think running would have!

well, all I can tell you from there is
by the time she hit my side of the shore, I was LONG gone , at 16 I could run pretty fast! HAHA!
she I gather got to her cubs , seen I was gone and they went on there merry way, and I can say that due to, well me being me?? when I got back to my truck, I grabbed a camera I kept in there and went back hoping to take some pictures of them (had a big zoom lens so planned to give them room) but when I got to where I could see things, they were no where to be found!

the way I view the first encounter is, well, she was female, full of all sorts of hormones from having cubs, and how know's some times,,. like it or not females are females, and hormone's from giving birth effect them ALL< NO bash towards females either, just facts here! , there bodies go thru a lot of transformations IMO! and as such, never know what that does to there mind or logic or mood swings and so on!
AND??< some times there is no logic to what a wild animal will do! there wild and how they deal with humans,can be unpredictable!

Maybe not a real answer for you, as there just isn;t ever a real "WHAT WOULD HAPPEN" type answer when dealing with wild things and things that can make decisions for themselves!
as again when you deal with wild animal's anything can happen
but in my years dealing with black bears, I tend to feel if they know your there, 99% of the time they will leave you alone, and this one takes more balls than brains maybe, but most all charges are bluff's
even when they have cubs involved!
a lot of times its the reaction of there human that effects things more than , just those of the bear!

mrbb

aren't they cousins?
bears and pigs are not related, even though they share a lot of similar things, there totally different species of animals, so not elated at all!

I will say they both can eat about anything if they wanted too , but I will give the pig's the prize for being able to truly eat anything.
they are amazing at what all they will eat and can break down, , where other animals will leave certain things behind they will just eat it all!
guess that's how they got there name ?
I have friends that have them as pets, and there pretty loyal animals from what I seen
but if I had to pick between having one as a pet,
I'd pick a bear, haha
for me there easier on the eye's and more entertaining!
but we all like what we like!

mrbb

I'll mention this one too, since I some seem to enjoy my stories on bears

a few yrs back, I was outside doing odds and ends, and I had 3 bears here eating apples
all females, NO NEW cubs
I had a LOT of history with two of them, one was a 5 yr old female I that I helped raise a from a cub, and thru a few major set backs over the yrs with being hit by a car, she was maybe my fav bear! she was in the 350+ lb range , and I coudl do about anything with her if I needed to, from puting meds on open wounds to??, she never had a ounce of aggression in her no matter what I did to her!

and the other female was a 7 yr old I knew extremely well, (in the 400 klb range a really BIG female)
I watched her raise several sets of cubs, she used to like to leave her cubs up a tree near me and would leave for 4-5 hours to get away from them LOL
so, lets say she trusted me a lot! and me her! just like the above one! they had a lot of FAITH in me I gather and me them!

well the third female, was her cub from her last litter, she kicked it out of her care the yr before, or should say TRY< this one just refused to leave the area, no mater how many times its mom chased her, bite her, beat her up, and just tried to run her out of the area, she refused to leave
this was the FIRST time I had this happen , where one cub just plain refused to leave the area when it was time to leave!
she was also one of the largest female cubs I ever had here , she just blew up in size and weight, was a easy 250-275 lbs by her second yr!
her Mom, I think just gave up after a while trying to run her out, a first for her!

SO<the 3 of them doing there thing and me doing mine, when the young female, started working her way towards me,
not in an aggressive manor, just a curiosity like deal, nothing new to me , so, didn;t think much of it!
the other two bears , well they were watching her like a hawk!
the funny part about this is, these two other bears typically didn;t like each other, for the first few yrs I had the orphan cub here, the other one tried to kill her several times and I had to step in and save her!, at about the 4 yr mark, they finally made friends with each other and or just tolerated each other in a good way, no more drama between them!

SO< the one bear kept coming close r to me, I kept a eye on things, but was busy doing what ever
when I next turned around, she was about 10 ft from me, sniffing the air with 2 loud snorts!
this got the other two;'s attention they went from laying down, to on all 4's
me still not worried at all, had happen many many times over the yrs!
she had a friendly look on her face, not one with ill intentions, (you learn the differences in looks after some time)
BUT the next thing I knew, this female near me started shaking her head and then slapped the ground under her!

I don;'t recall what I had in my hand, I think it was a glove or a rag or the likes, , and I hit her on the head with it, and told her to calm down,
BY the time I did that, the other two females came over at lighting speed, amazing how fast a bear can move when they feel a need too!

the one got between me and this bear and the other one , like a shield!
the other bear, her mom actually, HAHA! she grabbed her by the ass with her mouth and gave her a strong bite, which sent her up a tree
and as soon as the one was up a tree, they kinda of looked at me shook there heads and , saying to me, " DAM KIDS!!"
and the two walked back to where they were and laid back down and then other one came down from the tree she was up, and all peace full again!

I never had an issue again with that bear , she actually was very behaved after this!
anyhow,
I thought it was pretty cool how the other two were worried what the one bear was doing, maybe they knew something I didn;'t, after all I know bears sounds, but don't speak there language YET!!~ LOL