Well, This Can't Be Good!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought I'd throw this one out there since were kinda slow on here during the summer.
I'm not sure what's happening here but it's happening fast. Just a week ago these areas were green like the rest of the lawn.
Lawncare 1.jpg

Same area from the opposite direction.
Lawncare 2.jpg
Of course, this would have to be in our front yard, facing the street. Nothing in the neighbor's yard yet. There's also a smaller area in the backyard that is showing this. We use a lawncare service for fertilizer and weed control. They were here about two weeks ago, and yes, they can be expecting a call regarding this on Monday morning. In the meantime, I'm posting the pictures to see if anyone has seen this before. I don't think it's a fertilizer burn, this is more irregular, and it appears to be getting worse. I spent a few hours on-line and all signs point to disease, maybe a fungus of some sort.
One last point, our neighbors next door use the same service. No problems, concerns, or anything that looks like this. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

pclark

Looks like fertilizer burn to me. Disease or infestation happens over a longer period of time and from what you mentioned your lawn was looking good not to long ago.

indy_500

That looks precisely like fertilizer burn to me. I got 1 spot my backyard that looks like that right now, luckily it’s only 10”x15”. On a side note, I’m a pretty big lawn nut and the 10-10-10 fertilizer I put down about 15ish days ago is doing work!!

dfattack

fertilizer burn is what I'm thinking and agree with everyone else. They use dry fertilizer or liquid?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the input, guys. Here's what we found.
There is no Fungus Among Us
They ruled out Alien landings
And I haven't seen a Zombie in more than a month.

We've got your run of the mill Fertilizer Burn!
And that's what I thought and was hoping for but it's always nice to have other eyes on a problem, so thanks for the replies. They raked the damaged areas, spiked it, and dropped new seed. That, and they waived the monthly fee. We're expecting rain later in the week. In the meantime, I'll be watering, like a cow peeing on a flat rock. ;) Let's have a good week!

matti

as skiroule said, it's possible UFO damage. A similar case was reported in Bloomer, Wisconsin back in the 1970s or 1980s, as I recall. Please, be safe.

whitedust

I’m happy it worked out for you I asked how my service would fix a poor spread in my back yard and the guy quit on text sent the balance for future spreads back to me. I was shocked but a fantastic deal was mailed to me by a national brand so I took it but before they came after I was registered by phone they upped the price $1000. Obviously I said no. Lol. So I called another national service and they were totally reasonably priced and does an excellent job both spreading dry fertilizer and liquid. Never the same truck or guy but I’m happy with the service. Hopefully this works out for next year too and this may be a good post like who and how much did you pay for LP gas.

pclark

I just sprayed on liquid weed and feed today, it was under $10, and took me 10 minutes. I also cut my lawn for the 3rd time this year. Here are pics of my old lawn and my new lawn at the lake. I had to work really hard to keep that lawn looking like it did. I also used 10-10-10 in the Spring and then put on 3 applications of Scott’s Turf Builder using my spreader behind my John Deere, also sprayed on Weed Begone by ortho. It was nice when we lived there but now my lawn is blue and 75ft from the house.

Attachments

• IMG_2170.jpeg
    IMG_2170.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0013.jpeg
    IMG_0013.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg