west yellowstone end of Jan route question

szotty

hello taking first trip out west planning on end of jan to go to west Yellowstone area. planning on traveling from northern wi on us2 till i90 then turn south in bozeman area main question is do i need tire chains for the mountain areas from my f250 or the trailer it has brakes? tow vehicle is 2006 f250 crew 4x4 trailer is 8.5x 20 foot wellscargo

polarisrider1

Nope. Just follow the UPS truck. Ignore all the signs showing that someone died on the road from Bozman to West Yellowstone and you will be fine. (I counted 87 one night).

szotty

5 of us are going jan 23- feb 2nd the 23 rd and 2nd are the driving there and back days. Just worried if need chains for the mountain passes so we don't have to find on way or not allowed to go over. were doing west Yellowstone islands park area

snoluver1

The chain requirements are usually only for commercial vehicles. If you have 4 wheel drive they will let you through, but if it's bad enough to need chains chances are they will close the pass anyway.

srt20

Just a fyi

Snowest is having some ride fest deal in west yellowstone the last weekend in jan. I'm sure it will be packed. Unless that's why you are going.

mrbb

5 of us are going jan 23- feb 2nd the 23 rd and 2nd are the driving there and back days. Just worried if need chains for the mountain passes so we don't have to find on way or not allowed to go over. were doing west Yellowstone islands park area

if it was me and your worried, just bring the chains, they don't take up that much space and then you will have them??
odds are you won't, as they said, when roads get iffy, they close them , then once cleared or re opened should again be fine?
but snow storms can happen at any time, so having things like chains is never a bad idea in snowy/icy places??
SOn't think you will need them for teh trailer however, as if its bad you need chains, your not going to be going that fast
but having brakes of the trailer, and then chains could only help LOL
have a great trip, its a great place to ride out there and this winter should be another good one, the ways it seems to forming up now?

szotty

We booked our room then like 2 weeks later snowest said there doing there party but we got a no cancelation price but it should be fun anyways just was worried with the chain idea

szotty

Was told west Yellowstone is good area for people that haven't been out west yet plus I'm taking my dad and father in law plus couple others should be easier place for them to ride