West Yellowstone trip

elf

Just got back from West Yellowstone where I spent a week riding with my son. He's going to college at Montana Tech in Butte so we met for his spring break. While the snow wasn't over the hood deep except for a couple meadows we got into we had a great time. He's a tight trees type of guy while I like things a bit more open. Lots of stucks, mostly him! But thats mostly because he's fearless which may not be good all the time. We had lots of opportunities to inspect the condition of his track!

Attachments

• WY1.jpg
    WY1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 146
  • wy2.jpg
    wy2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 147
  • wy3.jpg
    wy3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 139
  • wy4.jpg
    wy4.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 131
  • wy5.jpg
    wy5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 124
  • wy6.jpg
    wy6.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 124
  • wy7.jpg
    wy7.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 122
  • wy8.jpg
    wy8.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 122
  • wy9.jpg
    wy9.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 125
  • wy10.jpg
    wy10.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 142

mrbb

sounds and looks like you had a great time
and nothing wrong with being young and fearless,, it builds character and makes memories, and some times, gets you some nice aches and pains for when you get older,
to help you remember them younger days LOL

D

Deleted member 10829

Nice pics, pretty area. Looks like a bunch of workouts getting unstuck. :) Great memories for sure!

600_RMK_144

Great pics. We rode the area 5-6 yrs ago. Other than the 24hr ride in the truck, the area was awesome. Lots of trails if you are into that and plenty of places to wonder off when you want too. Awesome memories you are making with your son. That's what it's all about IMO!!!!

elf

Great pics. We rode the area 5-6 yrs ago. Other than the 24hr ride in the truck, the area was awesome. Lots of trails if you are into that and plenty of places to wonder off when you want too. Awesome memories you are making with your son. That's what it's all about IMO!!!!
Yeah, the drive sucks. Its just under 16 hours for me, 1060 miles.

elf

A couple of them took some work. Should've brought the chain saw based on the # of trees we cut down for a couple of stucks.

Wong

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in West Yellowstone? We have a group of 8 that will be going out there in the next couple of years. Also, how far in advance do you need to make reservations for lodging?

elf

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to stay in West Yellowstone? We have a group of 8 that will be going out there in the next couple of years. Also, how far in advance do you need to make reservations for lodging?
We stayed at the Explorer cabins in town. Ours was a 2 bedroom, kind of expensive but originally my wife was coming with. For a group of 8 though I'd just start looking for Air BnB's or VRBO. We reserved ours in early Nov I believe. One thing that surprised us is we intended to do the tour of the park, which meant renting 4 strokes and riding down to old faithful. Thats why my wife wanted to come with. When we started looking at that in late Oct or so they were completely booked for the winter already.
Another thing to think about is we were out there from 3/13-3/19/ While we had plenty of snow and no trouble getting around town the park shuts down for the winter season on 3/15 and correspondingly 1/2 the town shut down too. Hotels were shutting down that date, places to eat, etc... Everybody takes a month or two off before the crazy summer season. They do maintain trails thru 3/31 I believe.

Wong

We stayed at the Explorer cabins in town. Ours was a 2 bedroom, kind of expensive but originally my wife was coming with. For a group of 8 though I'd just start looking for Air BnB's or VRBO. We reserved ours in early Nov I believe. One thing that surprised us is we intended to do the tour of the park, which meant renting 4 strokes and riding down to old faithful. Thats why my wife wanted to come with. When we started looking at that in late Oct or so they were completely booked for the winter already.
Another thing to think about is we were out there from 3/13-3/19/ While we had plenty of snow and no trouble getting around town the park shuts down for the winter season on 3/15 and correspondingly 1/2 the town shut down too. Hotels were shutting down that date, places to eat, etc... Everybody takes a month or two off before the crazy summer season. They do maintain trails thru 3/31 I believe.
Thank you for the information.

600_RMK_144

VRBO or Air BNB as recommended for a larger group. The Yellowstone / Island Park area is pretty commercialized, so lodging typically is not a problem. Unless the snow is super good, typically you can find a cabin a couple of weeks in advance from what I've seen. Jan 2017, We stayed at a guys personal cabin we found thru VRBO. Six guys slept in it fine and the lower level (finished basement) had room for 1-2 more. We never had to go down there thou. He was a super nice guy and answered tons of questions we had about sledding, etc. Checked on us as we were arriving to make sure we made it safely and got into the cabin OK. I'd for sure go back again and use Alan's cabin if we did. There is a trail right by the cabin, no need to trailer.

Contact Info: Alan Lang; Island Park Cabin... 863-832-0683 / joseph59lang@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Wong

VRBO or Air BNB as recommended for a larger group. The Yellowstone / Island Park area is pretty commercialized, so lodging typically is not a problem. Unless the snow is super good, typically you can find a cabin a couple of weeks in advance from what I've seen. Jan 2017, We stayed at a guys personal cabin we found thru VRBO. Six guys slept in it fine and the lower level (finished basement) had room for 1-2 more. We never had to go down there thou. He was a super nice guy and answered tons of questions we had about sledding, etc. Checked on us as we were arriving to make sure we made it safely and got into the cabin OK. I'd for sure go back again and use Alan's cabin if we did. There is a trail right by the cabin, no need to trailer.

Contact Info: Alan Lang; Island Park Cabin... 863-832-0683 / joseph59lang@yahoo.com
Awesome, thank you for the contact information.