West Yellowstone Trip

elf

Ran out to West Yellowstone over the weekend to see my son. Had a couple of friends come out also and we timed it perfect. Got there Thursday afternoon and it started snowing. When we headed out Friday morning there was 12" fresh snow down on the south plateau where we played for the day. Just tore up a little canyon for the day and then some meadows. Friday night it was continuing to dump snow and we headed out to the same area and now there was 18" on top of our 12" from the previous day. Played all day in the same areas as before, couldn't even see our tracks from the previous day. Blowing hard and snowing both days while we were out there. Sunday morning dawned with blue skies so we headed off towards Two Tops. Unfortunately a group we were following on the trail had a lady miss a corner and go off into the trees. Shaved off a 6-8" pine tree and resulted in a totaled sled and a badly broken femur from my untrained eye. When the leg is turning back across a persons body about 1/2 way between the hip and knee its not good. So we got S&R on the phone, gave them our position, had one of our guys ride back to the trail head so he could make sure they found us, got all of our jackets off to cover her up, space blankets, hand warmers, anything we had. Built a fire close to her to help keep her warm and then after 50 minutes of being on the phone with 911 they finally got there and we got her braced and loaded up into their sled and they were going to get her to town and then a helicopter to Idaho Falls. Not a good start to the day. So we continued on and hit some more meadows and while my son and a couple of others were going to push through some tree riding into some glades they saw on a hill side myself and a friend ran the rest of the way up to Two Tops. Amazing views. We headed back down and met up with the rest of them and then headed back as we wanted to be on the road by mid afternoon. Great trip and while 120 miles of riding over 3 days doesn't seem worth the 2150 miles of driving it was a lot of fun. Fantastic snow conditions. So next week we head the other direction to Roatan for a week. Roatan is a small island off the coast of Honduras on the gulf side. West 1.jpg west 2.jpg West 1.jpg west 2.jpg West 3.jpg West 5.jpg West 6.jpg

dfattack

No shortage of snow there that's for sure! Happy for you. Me and my son were at Two Top last year and completely understand the comment about the view from up there. For anyone who hasn't been out there it's worth going to see the area at least once in your life.

skiroule

Great photos! The way this winter has gone here it seems weird to see enough snow to actually get stuck. Sounds like your timing was perfect for fresh snow.

Reactions: elf

wiscrev

Elf said: So next week we head the other direction to Roatan for a week. Roatan is a small island off the coast of Honduras on the gulf side.

I don't think they have snowmobiling there, lol.

elf

Elf said: So next week we head the other direction to Roatan for a week. Roatan is a small island off the coast of Honduras on the gulf side.

I don't think they have snowmobiling there, lol.
No they don't! This is a 25th anniversary trip. We actually got married in Jamaica but wanted to try something different for this trip. But my wife wanted to bring both of our kids along so our daughter is flying there from NYC and will meet us there and our son will fly to Mpls and then fly down with us.