Western North Carolina Ride

SPOR

I got the opportunity to ride in North Carolina late this September. For anyone that loves to ride the twisties and see beautiful sites, that was the place to go. Also had the chance to ride the famous, Tail of the Dragon (300+ curves in 11 miles). Neat place to visit (Deals Gap), fun roads getting there too. The whole experience reminded me alot of snowmobiling, incredible fun. In 2 1/2 days we put on about 550 miles, not a ton, but we did take in all the georgous sites, no night riding, and hit very few straights. I highly recommend it to all 2 wheel enthusiasts.

Been there done that. Twice in fact and cannot wait to do it again! For anyone that wants to get out to Deals Gap and ride the Dragon, also look into the Cherohala Skyway. This is very close to the Dragon Tail and great sights. Beautiful scenery everywhere out there. Thanks for bringing up this topic SPOR. You just jogged some good memories for me.

Pizza Man

We had our Friends On Wheels Rally in Maggie Valley, NC this past June.
What a great area.
Did all the rides mentioned above plus a tour of the Biltmore Mansion in Ashville(a must see) and the motorcycle museum in Maggie Valley.
We likes it so much that we're doing it again next summer.

SPOR

I am going to try and make it a yearly event because there is so much to see, and I know that I haven't scratched the surface. There are lots of beautiful damns too.
At least I didn't add anything to the Tree of Shame at the Gap. For those that don't know what it is, there is a tree at the gas station-restaurant-hotel, at the beginning of the Dragon. People who have crashed while riding the Dragon, put their motorcycle parts on the tree, and it is littered with them. Some memorials with pictures too, that's the sad part.

rhoag

I have been going to North Carolina/ Tennessee every year for the past 10 years, also the Ozarks. We used to stay in Townsend just SouthEast of Knoxville but have stayed right in Tellico Plaines at the end of the Cherohola Skyway the last 3 years. There are so many good clean twisty roads down there it's unbelievable. We stay away from the Gap on the weekends because there are to many people and cops. My favorite road is 28 between the Cross Roads of time (gap) to War women road south of Franklin. If you have never been down there ya gotta go "great time" Lodging is very cheap in the area. Here is a video of me going through the gap a few months ago. http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo44/R1rob_fvsr/?action=view&current=Gap_fall_11_standard.mp4 I pick the pace up a bit after the overlook and my friend Bill gets out of the way LOL!!! 318 curves in 11 miles!!! gap15.JPG

Last edited:

SPOR

rhoag, nice video! Looks like you kept up a quick pace on it too. We went out in late Sept. and encountered some turns that had leaves on the road which occassionally made the lean angles become more upright. How were they when you went out there, it looks like a couple weeks after me? I also had quite a few videos but most were pretty long and I'm not sure how to post them, or the pictures. 28 is awesome, lots of twists, I actually enjoyed that more than the Dragon. We hit that (Dragon) on Friday because of the traffic and it wasn't too bad, cops were only at the opposite end of the Gap, waiting and radaring. I can't wait to go back, but my riding partner wants to head out to Colorado next year, but thats twice as far to get to, not sure if thats going to work or not.

rhoag

I will never go down again in the late fall. The traffic was terrible! No use in passing because there would be 50 more slow tree gazers to pass. We arrived on Sunday 16 Oct and stayed at riverview cabins in Tellico plaines. rode the skyway to the gap and back a different route (360) that day. Monday the weather was perfect and we did 360 to the gap then 28 south to Fontana. While at Fontana my friend told me that Dennis and Mark (2 new guys we took with us) were frequently crossing the center line. I did not see this because I always lead. So I had a talk with the group and we continued on 28 toward Franklin...well 30 miles later Dennis (on a 94 BMW sport touring ???RS) crossed and went head first into a jeep. He ended up going to the hospital in Charlotte... good thing he was wearing full gear...broused knee and broke a small bone in his hand. Tuesday I had to drive 3.5 hours one-way to Charlotte to pick him up (weather was beautiful this day). Wed the temps dropped into the 40's and rain (drank a lot of whiskey sitting on the porch next to the river, Thur temps 50's still no sun and wet roads drank again and ate some good ribs, Friday about the same as thurs so we came home. So not a good trip. I feel the best time to go is in May... no matter what the weather can get you...we consider 3 good days a great trip.
Have you ever taken 68 out of Tellico to 60 in Georgia the 19 across blood mountain over to warwomen the 28 north? Great route but, long day.

Ya I was keeping a pretty good clip after the overlook. I love my bike!!! 2010 acid green BMW S1000 RR...traction control, 448 pounds wet, dyno'd at 184 HP at the rear wheel, ABS brakes. I'm getting older 51 now so I ride a bit slower than I used to.. also after I high sided and crushed my C6 & C7, coming out of the kink on the Road America race track kinda slowed me down!

I'm sure there are some great roads in Colorado but, the gap or Ozarks are 12-13 hours away (from Appleton, Wi) I hate the drive getting there.

Post your pics and vids on photobucket then just copy and paste the link.

Attachments

• crash.jpg
    crash.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: