western riding

L

lenny

I am looking for info on when and where to go out west. I have riden out west 15 years ago but was not prepared as I would be now. We will be driving and hauling our own sleds. I guess I am looking for suggestions both where and when. This far in advance I am open so let me know what you think and why. If you guys can give rough hrs to destination. Looking to hire a guide and ride powder exclusively.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
So many places out west to go to. I have been to Cooke City, and Togwotee. Between the two, I love Tog. Next year, maybe I will try the snowy's, maybe. :)

From my house here in south central Wi, it was a 19 hour drive to Tog. looks like the snowy's would be 14. Tog is a little on the expensive side, but well worth it in my opinion. It's nice to have a guide, no worries about where the heck you are ar anything like that. Great terrain out there, from steep hills, to not so steep, boondocking, jumping, you name it, and your guide can find it for you.

L

lenny

would you say feb (on average) would be the best time to go for deep pow?

snoluver1

would you say feb (on average) would be the best time to go for deep pow?

Lenny, it depends alot on the location, but in my experience march has always been the best month to go. The base is good and deep to cover up the land mines and you still have very good oportunities for fresh dumpings. The days are longer and warmer also, and your season is all but done in the U.P. so its a win win. Aprill can have epic dumpings also, but its hit or miss, and avalanche danger can be much higher with spring storms.

highmarker420

we got good snow in the snowies. did you see yamadudes article on here? only thing is ya gotta be here just after the snow as for some reason this year it is getting beat up i been here for 10 years now and i think this the busiest its everybeen up there. lots and lots of people traveling to get snow .

polarisrider1

we got good snow in the snowies. did you see yamadudes article on here? only thing is ya gotta be here just after the snow as for some reason this year it is getting beat up i been here for 10 years now and i think this the busiest its everybeen up there. lots and lots of people traveling to get snow .

:D Most all of us are still trying to get our "fix". Heck even if I have to "Stand Up" trail ride at Tog. I am going. "Garden tools" and all. :D

chrisbristow

Lenny, you can't go wrong with the Snowy's. I've been to Cooke, Big Horns, Black Hills(sort of mountains) and I still like the Snowy's the best for variety of terrain and snow conditions. You have services close if you have issues and no major mountain passes that can be tricky.

polarisrider1

Lenny, you can't go wrong with the Snowy's. I've been to Cooke, Big Horns, Black Hills(sort of mountains) and I still like the Snowy's the best for variety of terrain and snow conditions. You have services close if you have issues and no major mountain passes that can be tricky.

Where do you stay?

snoluver1

Where do you stay?

If your going to go to the snowies, in my opinion the best place to stay is http://www.mtnmeadowcabins.com/. Chris (owner) is the best dude on the mountain, bar none!
You will have to bring your own food and sled in, but he will come down to the parking area and pick up your stuff for you, so its not a big deal sledding in. His prices are very reasonable and you are as close to the good stuff as you can get. Ride right from the cabins. If you want bells and whistles, there are other places to choose from, but you may have to trailer up every day, or do a bunch of trail riding to get to the good stuff.

polarisrider1

If your going to go to the snowies, in my opinion the best place to stay is http://www.mtnmeadowcabins.com/. Chris (owner) is the best dude on the mountain, bar none!
You will have to bring your own food and sled in, but he will come down to the parking area and pick up your stuff for you, so its not a big deal sledding in. His prices are very reasonable and you are as close to the good stuff as you can get. Ride right from the cabins. If you want bells and whistles, there are other places to choose from, but you may have to trailer up every day, or do a bunch of trail riding to get to the good stuff.

Thank you! :)

fireman35

This year would not be a good year to stay up on the mountain cause you have to travel down to Cenntenial to get gas any way.The Snowies are the place to go.The guys from snowy range tours can hook you up to take you around the mountain.They know it by the back of their hands.If your looking to do jumping ask for Kody jr. to take you out riding, Kory will take you to the hills climbs and powder also. Looking for meadows and trees They all will lead you there and bring you back safe and sound.We go out and stay down in Laramie.No big deal get to go out in the evenings for dinner and cocktails,hit the pool and hot tub. Then do it all over again the next day. Sounds boring ha. Man im ready to go back now.

polarisrider1

This year would not be a good year to stay up on the mountain cause you have to travel down to Cenntenial to get gas any way.The Snowies are the place to go.The guys from snowy range tours can hook you up to take you around the mountain.They know it by the back of their hands.If your looking to do jumping ask for Kody jr. to take you out riding, Kory will take you to the hills climbs and powder also. Looking for meadows and trees They all will lead you there and bring you back safe and sound.We go out and stay down in Laramie.No big deal get to go out in the evenings for dinner and cocktails,hit the pool and hot tub. Then do it all over again the next day. Sounds boring ha. Man im ready to go back now.

I am looking at http://www.tenmileinn.com/

xrated

Only place I've been is the panhandle in ID and western MT....good riding. Check out Priest Lake.

I haven't ridden the snowys but it seems awful popular with guys due to it's proximity to the flats. I did ID just because that's where I know guys. Definitly didn't see lots of open meadows to play in, just hills and trees.

hoffmansledder

Polarisrider1, I agree with snolover1. We stayed with Chris this year and It is awesome. True the closest gas is in Centennial but it's no big deal. We just took 10 gal. eachin cans and had plenty for 4 days. I will probably take 15 gal each next time to have a little more just incase but it was fine. Great cabins, you don't have to trailer in each day. ride from the door, and great people. We will be back there next year.

yamadude

We were just out there and stayed at The Old Corral. Place was nice, rooms were clean. It's under new ownership and they are making some upgrades/changes. Super nice people. Gas is right next door and it's only a 7 mile drive to the trailhead.

http://oldcorral.com