WESTERN U.P. SIDE by SIDE QUESTION

kraven700

Hemi Coupe,

Thanx for the feedback, regarding your last paragraph with the reference to 650 miles, did you ride in different directions each day (approx 200-220 miles per day) and always return back to Bruce'Crossing every night? Was that on ATV'S or SxS's??

Just was trying to kinda duplicate the "back pack " trip we do on sleds from Northern Wisc to Copper & back, 520 miles, 3 1/2 days.

BTW, what kind of Hemi Coupe??

hemicoupe

Yes, One day you can do the trails to Houghton,the next day do the IRM trail and so on. The NICE thing about staying in Bruce Crossing is that you can eat breakfast there,ride all day and after you're done riding you can take a shower every night at the campground. There are many places to eat along the way. We ride ATVs but you could do it in a side by side with no problem (the "P" trail might be a little muddy tho!). Last year we back packed it from my place outside of L'Anse and set up base in Bruce Crossing but it's a little tricky getting through that way. Hopefully in a few years there will be a way to get from Sidnaw to Big Bay?? You're welcome to join MI-TRALE and ride the required trails to get the "CP2R" award (see map for details). The more members they have the better chance there are of getting more trails opened. Skip has been doing a fantastic job. Without him we wouldn't have all the trails to ride. Come join and be a member!

Hemi Coupe is a 1941 plymouth 2 door coupe with a 1955 Chrysler "300" 331 cu. in. HEMI with about 700 miles new, not rebuilt! Just a few modern ad ons!! (click on profile)

kraven700

Dan,

Sweet ride. Where did you find that old style hemi with only 700 miles???

My Dad had a 1952 Dodge Coronet 2 door coupe(that he purchased brand new, still have the original sales invoice and title) Flathead 6, some kinda funky trans that was mostly automatic but had a clutch, (for use w/reverse) and under acceleration you had to let of the throttle a little, wait for a solenoid like click, then continue, hydro-matic or fluid drive, something like that.

Any how, thanks for the info and I might be interested in joining, what would be required?

hemicoupe

It had 0 miles when I got it! I bought the coupe, then my buddy Dave said he knew where I could get a hemi and the rest is history. I've been working on it for 12 years off and on. This is the first time the motor was ever installed. I just got the car on the road this summer. Still have a few things to do on it yet but at least it's drivable!! That's where the miles came from.

As for joining MI-TRALE go to www.mi-trale.org and you will get the info you need. Maybe see you on one of their rides next summer?

skip_schulz

Dan thanks for the kind words, but I don't do all that you say, Mi-TRALE does it.

kraven700, Dan is one of the many FANTASTIC members that Mi-TRALE has. If you ever get a chance you should hook up with him and ride.

Just be ready to put on some miles. I could never ride the miles that Dan does. Then again, that is why he is the ONLY person to EVER get the CP2R Award for two straight years. Plus he is only one of 6 people to ever get that award.

kraven700

Skip,

I just may hook up with Dan on a ride, riding is what I'm all about.

Anything less than a 200 mile day on a sled and I feel like I've left something on the table. Seriously.

skip_schulz

kraven700, I can put 200 miles on a snowmobile, but to put on the miles that Dan put's on an ATV...well, no way.

I could do it in a Ranger, but Dan does it on a conventional ATV.

Next summer, Mi-TRALE will have many more miles of NEW ATV Trails, then more will be added in 2011.

Love to have you come up and ride!

Skip

hemicoupe

Skip,kraven700, Dave and I are already planning on going for the "CP2R" next year. Would be a 4 day weekend,just have to come up with a date yet. We've been doing annual U.P. trips for 7 years now. The first 4 years have been Hancock to Copper harbor and back trips. The last 3 years have been on the Mi-Trale trails. All trips are multi days and tenting! When we first started we'd have 8-10 guys but when they seen how many miles we ride we lost a few LOL!!! Few years ago we were setting up tents at 12:30AM at Emily lake. Did you ever stop on the firesteel tressles at 11:30 at night and look up at the stars in total darkness? Pretty hard to beat it.
I ride a 03 grizzly with 7,700 miles on it now,it has independent suspension. Makes the ride a lot nicer. I switched with my son on our trip from Rockland to Houghton and back to Rockland this summer and I rode the Honda recon.... He didn't want to give griz back! The straight axles really give you a work out on those long trips.
kraven700, maybe when we figure out a date (Aug./Sept.)you can tag along? Maybe even get you a "CP2R award"????? Where are you located? How about going up for the club rides on weekends during the summer?
Skip, I still need to get that picture taken yet.

kraven700

Dan,

Hey thanks for the offer to tag along, I would be VERY interested in doing so. I live about 1/2 hour outside of Chicago, (the land of drive by shootings)

We usually drive to Manitowish Waters, then ride up to Copper from there.

I'd be intersted in a weekend club ride as well, please keep me posted.

Thanks

skip_schulz

Dan,

That is AMAZING. I have always wanted to try a Night ride, but can't find anyone to ride with me. I think it would be neat!
We'll be putting our club ride schedule together this coming Spring.
Would you be interested in putting together a schedule and dates for club rides?
Let me know.

Skip

hemicoupe

Skip, Give me a couple weeks to think about it. I'm thinking maybe a weekend (Friday night to Sunday afternoon) camp out at Bruce Crossing could get a good chunk out of the "CP2R" trails with a night ride saturday night. Would be nice to get a few more people getting the award. I think it is easier then people think. You really don't have to do it in 3 days. If you want to take your time, do a trail a weekend. Even for people not wanting to get the award, get out and use the trails. That's why they are there.

skip_schulz

Dan,

You hit the nail right on the head. We set up the monthly Mi-TRALE rides so that if a person rode every ride, they would accomplish the requirements of getting the CP2R Award.

We always talked about trying a night ride, but to be honest with you, no one was interested (but me), so I dropped that idea.

I have so many legislative issues on my plate, along with finding out (again) on the many miles of new trails in the Ottawa, that I simply do not have the time to focus on the club rides.

With what you have done, and how you have got new people to go for the CP2R Award, you would be great to take charge of the Mi-TRALE club rides.

A great example is your communication with Dave (kraven). It would be fantastic to hear about you and kraven getting together for a ride. Sounds like he may be one of the few people that could actually put on the miles that you do.

I will be gone for a while, and not on the internet, so if you don't see a response from me, you'll know why.