What camera

Dgoz

I have a question what video cam do you suggest just looked at a GoPro true Hero I know alot of guys out there take video on off trail would like to know what is used out there

mvedepo

Here we go again. Contour HD 1080, anything else your just fooling yourself.

LOL..Sure. If you don't ever plan on using the audio it takes. MAYBE the Contour GPS will be better. At least they are marketing it as better with wind noise. Time will tell.

Either way, watch all the comparisons on YouTube and it will quickly become evident that though the Contour is much cooler looking, the GoPro HD is better camera for what really matters, picture quality and sound.

felonious_rider

LOL..Sure. If you don't ever plan on using the audio it takes. MAYBE the Contour GPS will be better. At least they are marketing it as better with wind noise. Time will tell.

Either way, watch all the comparisons on YouTube and it will quickly become evident that though the Contour is much cooler looking, the GoPro HD is better camera for what really matters, picture quality and sound.

I have Go Pro and it works flawlessly!

mjkaliszak

I have a question ? How do you turn it on & off ? How much time can they record ? How are they powered ( batteries or chargeable power pack ) ? May seem like dumb questions but was looking to pick up a camera or helmet cam for this season.

dfattack

I have a question ? How do you turn it on & off ? How much time can they record ? How are they powered ( batteries or chargeable power pack ) ? May seem like dumb questions but was looking to pick up a camera or helmet cam for this season.

the top slides back and forth turning it off and on. The battery slides in the back right next to the memory card slot. The battery is rechargeable. You can charge it by plugging into a usb port on your PC or you can purchase a charger made by contour.

I have the 1080P version and I carry (4) batteries since they only last about 50 minutes when it's cold. You can get about 2 hours in summer temps. One 16 GB memory card will last you all day. Definitely longer than (4) battery packs. Was considering the Go Pro as a 2nd camera mounted on the rear bumper aiming backwards. the reason I wanted to try this was for better audio. The audio with the contour camera is horrible. You can barely hear the motor through the wind noise above 50 mph. I had the original Contour and now I own the Contour HD 1080P. The audio improved slightly with the newer version. I actually took it apart and added some foam over the Mic which did cut the wind noise about half. Still, you shouldn't have to do this and it's still not perfect.

radsrh

The GoPro is what is used to cover the short course off road races, if it can stand up to 900HP off road trucks and it's good enough for SPEED TV and HD theater it would be good enough for me. It's amazing what they do with them and where they mount them and the shots are always great

felonious_rider

Which one?

i saw that costco had the gopro camera this week for under 200 bucks

I am thinking the one you saw in Costco was the 960 mpx and not the 1080 mpx. The going price for the 960 is $179.99 and the 1080 is $299.99. I have the 1080 and works awesome.

Mine takes some getting use to but its easy to operate and it can record up to 2 hours!

phazerpilot

i'll have to check that out , acouple of years ago i bought the oregon scientific atc2k at sam's for 63.00 when everyone else was over 100.00. i takes ok video but the wind noise is real bad, batt. life was not bad but video limited to 2gb card

mjkaliszak

Agree 100%, this is the only camera!

Why ? is it more user friendly ? It is hard for me to review from just a picture. I have to actually get my hands on it. Can you elaborate ? Sometimes I have to use it to figure out what I don't like or what would be better. You & Wayne seem to have strong opinions on these. Do they hold up better to abuse or in an extreme enviroment ? Just asking.

Dgoz

thanks everyone that was alot of the info i was looking for i think i am going with the gopro saw it at highland yammaha for 249.00 for the newer model.

cuzzinolaf

For what it is worth - I went with the Contour HD when I bought my helmet cam. I went back and forth on both brands and don't know the reason. I guess that doesn't help too much LOL. I do like how easy it is to start and stop recording.

cobalt_502

I was given my Contour HD for a gift, didn't even know about the GoPro? I will say the Contour is small, no wires, very light and easy to use. I love that it doesn't have an external battery pack and I don't have to run wires into my jacket, not sure you have to with the GoPro or not I'm just saying why I like the Contour.