What I started out riding.

Here is a picture of an identical sled to the one we had on the farm when I was a kid. It is a 1970 Viking in the ever awesome Peacock color! This one is still running today-wish I had it. Post pics of your first sled while we all wait for the trails to open. Central WI has zero snow right now. viewattachment.jpg

T

Team Elkhorn

1970 Ski Doo 399 Nordic. It wasn't so much mine as just the first sled I rode regularly. I remember constantly snapping springs, boogie wheels and steering spindles, and we needed to rebuild the motor every other year. Good times though. It looked like this one but it had a yellow windscreen too.
View attachment 36023

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
69 Panther

Our family's first snowmobile in the winter of 69. Me and my brother with the family dog.

I recall the dog liked to chase the snowmobiles and that Panther was so slow that the dog could keep up!

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 108

lvr1000

not the first I rode, but the first 1 bought.
79 Yamaha SRX 440 L/C tweaked . VERY fast sled in its day. Got almost 7mpg and need 91 OCTANE and 15:1 gas/oil mix. Talk about 2stroke smell and oily clothes! Benefit was clothes always repelled water/snow

Attachments

• 2012-12-05-11-02-46--665529315.jpeg
    2012-12-05-11-02-46--665529315.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 45

bearrassler

My dad brought home a Polaris in 65 but we only used it for about 3 days, the first one that stayed all winter was just like this one, a 1966 Viking made in Ashland, WS 66 Viking.jpg

scottd

'71 (I believe) Ski Roule R400

Just like the attached picture. Somewhere in the 8-9 year old range. I did so many laps around the lake on that thing I probably wore the ice out. Picking up a '94 Ski Doo Formula S from a neighbor to get my kids started. They are only 4 and 6 so for at least a few years I am going to have to ride with them and will figure out some sort of throttle stop to limit speed prior to turning them loose (again i'm sure that's at least a few years off but we'll see depending on how they do and how slow I can limit the speed). At 1/3 the price of used 120s i'm planning to just skip that size. Can't call me brand loyal as i'll now have a Cat, Poo, Doo and a Yamaha Superjet for summer fun.

DSC02081.jpg

If you use some duct or electrical tape and tape a pop bottle cover form a 20 oz bottle under the throttle you can control how far they can press the throttle. A friend of mine did this with his Arctic Cat when his kids were young. They initially couldn't get it to go faster than about 15-20.
Picking up a '94 Ski Doo Formula S from a neighbor to get my kids started. They are only 4 and 6 so for at least a few years I am going to have to ride with them and will figure out some sort of throttle stop to limit speed prior to turning them loose (again i'm sure that's at least a few years off but we'll see depending on how they do and how slow I can limit the speed).

alwaysright

'79 trailfire...First sled, when I was 10-ish, bought it from a farmer and while crossing the lake on the way home I tipped it on it side and fell off. I'd call that a good start to my snowmobiling career.

Attachments

• 1979_JOHN_DEERE_TRAILFIRE_SG_SEPT_78_1.jpg
    1979_JOHN_DEERE_TRAILFIRE_SG_SEPT_78_1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

juiceman29

I dont remember the year and dont have any pictures but mine was a single cylinder sno pony, man that thing was a blast when my teenage body could handle the abuse. So many fond memories on old sleds......

redbirds5

No pics either, buy mine was a 69' Roll-a-Flex Commanche. What a blast we had that machine! Eventually 'upgraded' to a Herter's (72 or 73); don't remember the model but it had twin headlights and a panther-print seat...

sifarmer

I was 16, 340 deere trail fire. Got it from a neighbors shed. Had not been
ridden since blizzard of 82. This was in 2001. It was a blast getting it going
again. The guy I bought it from was excited as we were to see it run again.

Great pic Gary! Being a dairy farmer I love the background.

D

Deleted member 10829

I don't have any pic's either, but it was a 1974 TX250 and two years later got a 1976 TX250. I'm keeping my eye open for a nice TX as I'd like to have a vintage sled. Great times were had on those machines!

rev07

No photo either but mine was my brothers 1981 Johnson with a Rotary engine. Reverse and topped at 50ish. That thing must have weighed 650LBS. My buddy and his dad called it The Johnsoon or The Trailmaker. I had alot of fun on that sled.

L

lenny

this baby right here, 1974 Mercury S/R 440, S/R stood for "slide rail", hi tech baby!!!!!. Had it up till about 7 years ago, even brought it up here. Actually this pic is off trail 13 loop, doing some off trail.

Attachments

• 100_0244.jpg
    100_0244.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 47
L

lenny

word has it I may be changing vintage sleds this year to a Yammi !

snoluver1

This was my first one. 1972 T'NT 440. My dad bought it new in '72 and eventually handed it down to me. Rode the snot out of that thing till I was 18 and moved away for school. I would still have it today, if it didn't get stolen a couple months after I left for school.:mad:

images.jpg

Last edited:

frosty

I started out on my moms 1972 Polaris Colt 295SS. My first sled that I bought was a 1989 Skidoo Mach 1, the towtruck! It was heavy as one, but it never broke down, and it towed everyone else sled back home.:D

polarisrider1

No photo, 1972 Polaris Colt 175 12hp. State of the art solid state ignition that has issues, slide suspension. I was 12 and was the coolest kid in the neighborhood in the winter.