What is considered high Mileage for a stock 500cc motor?

twodogs

I would like to buy a used 500cc but I'm hesitant until I know what is considered low mileage. What are your thought an a decent price?

sweeperguy

I'd try to stay under 4 or 5k, hear of sleds higher miles for sale sometimes not cheap, depends alot on how they're rode. Personally I've never got over 7k on the used sleds I've had, but I'm usually pushing them pretty hard chasing newer higher cc sleds. I usually have the smallest, oldest sled in the group.

mikedrh

Mileage is, in most cases, a poor way to judge a sleds condition. People unhook speedos or go to swaps and buy speedos with low mileage.

I have had two of my old machines show up at my shop for repairs and both of them magically had lower miles on them then when I sold them.

See if the seller will let you take it to a reputable shop for an inspection first (most sellers won't let you do that).

Overall condition is still the best way. Look at the rest of the toys in his garage, that should give you a pretty good idea how he treated the one your looking at. Usually (not always) stay away from anything with performance mods done to it. I never put a performance mod on any machine that I didn't use and abuse every time I rode it.

jebjk1

2stroke would be my first thought.

That was my first thought as well, but a person can't necessarily assume that. A few more details would be so much more helpful. Like what make of engine, what year, what machine it is going it, etc.
Heck, we don't know if this is for a snowmobile or an ATV?
For the record, my guess was it was for a early 2000's Polaris XC500. Am I close?

mrbb

in my area a 1,000 miles a yr is pushing things
BUT on motor life,
I seldom see anyone here going past 4k before doing work
NOT that they cannot be going farther, MOST guys start to want more HP and start building motors, as odds are many bought the sleds for a deal, and want to mod them
and I fully agree, HOW the miles are put on matters more than how many

BUT at some point LOTS of miles just turns onto wear of parts
so anything past say 3500, I would start doing compression tests, for a base line and, when it gets to a certain point, time for a new top end or???

G

G

Just about anything with 5000 miles on it is probably going to have other concerns as well. Shocks, track, rear suspension egging out holes, nicked hood, nicked seat - the list goes on and on. As has been said odometers not always correct. Condition of entire sled should be taken into account. There are still some very nice 10 year old sleds with limited miles out there. People either quit riding or had some other priority so the sled just sat for years. Time can be just as much an enemy as miles though. I never trust a track with over 5000 miles. When I switch out the track I will usually put in a set of gears and a chain and all related bearings that go with changing a track. Better to do it in the shed than on a trip. As also was said - stay away from stuff that has been modded. Most people don't know what they are doing and the results are usaully not something a normal person would want. Just my 2 cents.

polarisrider1

Any mileage off warranty is iffy. I got some old sleds I sold to relatives that are still going, a 98 indy 488 fan, a 488 liquid 98 , a 340 fanner all with 12,000 plus miles on them. My 01 800xcsp beat into the ground front day one has over 19,000 miles on it. My 2000 700xcsp has 14,000 miles on it. Don't know about my 05 600 switchback or 06 600 Renegade has but sold to fellow JDee'rs.

xcr440

I have a '99 XC 500 with ~10,500 miles, brother bought it new. Pretty much everything besides the motor has been maintained over that time, and it still runs like a champ! Actually better than new with the small carb adjustments we made.

twodogs

Thanks Grubb

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks xcr.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies. The sled is for my daughter, her first. It sounds like it might just be better to spend the money on a much newer sled. I would like the sled to be a good one for at least 4 years before she goes off to school. We'll see you on the trails!!!

jebjk1

Thanks for the replies. The sled is for my daughter, her first. It sounds like it might just be better to spend the money on a much newer sled. I would like the sled to be a good one for at least 4 years before she goes off to school. We'll see you on the trails!!!

Oh sorry, I was way off base! I thought you were looking to buy a 500cc motor, not a whole sled. In that case, why not get her a Phazer? Very reliable, good mileage, somewhat lightweight, rider forward seating, etc.

whitedust

Oh sorry, I was way off base! I thought you were looking to buy a 500cc motor, not a whole sled. In that case, why not get her a Phazer? Very reliable, good mileage, somewhat lightweight, rider forward seating, etc.
Very true a phazer would be a good choice no worries gas & go sled.

xcr440

Yeah how much - If going cheap, I'm planning to put that XC 500 up for sale. Will be less than a grand for sure.