What is it about snowmobiling?

lx700kev

I get asked this alot from some friends and relatives. For me the answer is I love EVERYTHING about it. In the summer it's the anticipation...just seeing the sled under the cover makes me wanna go. In the fall I love taking the cover off, cleaning 'er up and sitting on it and amagining runnin down the trail. When winter starts I love loading the trailer, breaking out the suit and helmet and smelling the two stroke on em. I love planning the trip itself. The ride up is fun talking trash in the truck with friends about who has the faster sled and/or who is the better rider. I love pulling up to the cabin, getting out of the truck and hearing sleds off in the distance. I love the feeling of "hurry up and get um unloaded and gettin down the trail" . I love the hospitality of the people up north and all of the great places to eat and havin a beer afterwards. I love sitting in front of the fireplace after a long days ride and sleeping like a log just to get up and do it all over again the next day. Even the ride home is fun talking about the memories we all just made the last few days. Ect ect ect ect.

What do you all love about it?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else get goosebumps while reading this?

Nice one lx700kev!

-John

russholio

Smelling the 2-stroke exhaust when winter starts? Heck, I love smelling it all year long! I get my fix when I run my weed whip and blower. The crazy part is, my wife thinks it's perfectly normal behavior -- she's right there huffing it with me!

russholio

p.s.

John, I don't know about goosebumps but it sure does conjure up memories and anticipation. It's enough to make me wish I wasn't outside sitting under my gazebo enjoying a good book, some tunes, and a hockey pop or two. Or maybe three.

russholio

Oh yeah, almost forgot about the original question. What do I love about it? Easy.....there's snow, I'm not in the city, and I'm not at work (even though the latter no longer applies).

polarisrider1

Anyone else get goosebumps while reading this?

Nice one lx700kev!

-John

Oh my gosh, I felt a tear coming on (well many). Perfectly put. X a million. Rumour has it man thinks about sex about 6 times a minute, and snowmobiling all the rest of the time. well that would be my case anyways.

Last edited:

pete_w

In short

simply as an excuse to get outdoors in the winter together with others and enjoy it.
no different than being on a Boat, or Motorcycle in the summer, or even just bbq'n.
Pete

treetrunk

Thanks alot I had just gotten over starting my sleds last week, just to smell the 2 stroke! Now tonight i'm going to have to go out there and drink a beer or 3 sitting on my seat daydreaming about that first hint of snowfall so that I can go out and ride in the yard with out my wife yelling at me saying there's not even snow on the ground yet.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You nailed it, Kev!

Pretty much sums it up for me too. I usually have a new piece of gear or gismo to try out each new season so that makes it special to get out there for the first ride.

I don't miss the 2 Stroke smell much, this'll be my second season on a 4 Stroke but I still get a whiff when I pass one in the opposite direction.

Gary

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get asked this alot from some friends and relatives. For me the answer is I love EVERYTHING about it. In the summer it's the anticipation...just seeing the sled under the cover makes me wanna go. In the fall I love taking the cover off, cleaning 'er up and sitting on it and amagining runnin down the trail. When winter starts I love loading the trailer, breaking out the suit and helmet and smelling the two stroke on em. I love planning the trip itself. The ride up is fun talking trash in the truck with friends about who has the faster sled and/or who is the better rider. I love pulling up to the cabin, getting out of the truck and hearing sleds off in the distance. I love the feeling of "hurry up and get um unloaded and gettin down the trail" . I love the hospitality of the people up north and all of the great places to eat and havin a beer afterwards. I love sitting in front of the fireplace after a long days ride and sleeping like a log just to get up and do it all over again the next day. Even the ride home is fun talking about the memories we all just made the last few days. Ect ect ect ect.

PERFECT!

I need to change my underwear. =O

LMFAO!! Agreed.

Oh my gosh, I felt a tear coming on (well many). Perfectly put. X a million. Rumour has it man thinks about sex about 6 times a minute, and snowmobiling all the rest of the time. well that would be my case anyways.

Another LMFAO.

02zr600

goin tech

somebody had to do this sooner or later just to get us all in the mood, or those that aren't 24-7 anyway! and i agree with its mainly the whole experience of sledding, i also enjoy the challenge of some of the more technical riding we do, and watching and learning. ya ya ya I know I live in Iowa, what technical riding? I'm talking drifted tree lines and fence rows, deep ditches and massive drifts from hog barn. Thats what I love!

fcat700

Ah-men brother

late October, one guy in a garage calmly says to another, "want to race the sleds down the field?". Two hours later they are out of gas and covered in dust.

borderstaff

Well put lx700Kev. And a lot of us are going to get our early fix in the next few weeks. I'm sure the are a lot of other swapmeets and grass drags in other parts of the country but next weekend is Rum River Grass Drags in Princeton MN and in 3 weeks its Haydays (yes I'll still go as I took backroads from Stacy and only had an hour wait in line to park and I was in the gate by 7:30am.) I'm passing the time now by thinking of all the stuff I want to buy at the swap meets! The list keeps growing....