What is up with these ferkakta temps?

arcticgeorge

Not sure either but im guessing cold temps? TV 6 weather guy said this is the first time in satellite history that Lake Superior will completely freeze over two consecutive years in a row.

xcr440

Kwit ur bitchin..... In a month you'll be whining the season is coming to an end!

Lake Superior was WIDE OPEN on the north shore last weekend before it was cold. I don't see how it could freeze over completely in the next couple weeks.

But it was only a high of -8 last Saturday in Grand Marais, MN - bring it on..... Trails were PERFECT.

radsrh

As of tonight NOAA reporting that Lake Superior is 89.4 % ice covered, only open water is North West of Marquette. Last year on this date it was 90 %

frnash

ferkakta........perfectly good Yiddish word meaning not working properly.......or in other words FUBAR............
And a hearty (click →) "פֿאַרקאַקט" to you too! — From a (click →) Mumford HS (Detroit, MI) alumnus. :D

You remember the "Mumford Phys Ed Dept" t-shirt that Eddie Murphy's character Axel Foley is seen wearing in (click →) Beverly Hills Cop? (The movie's producer Jerry Bruckheimer was born in Detroit, and is also a Mumford alumnus.) During much of the 1950s and early 60s, Mumford High served a predominantly Jewish student population. — On the Jewish Holidays there were maybe 2 dozen students in the whole school out of a total student population of about 3000!

snobuilder

And a hearty (click →) "פֿאַרקאַקט" to you too! — From a (click →) Mumford HS (Detroit, MI) alumnus. :D

You remember the "Mumford Phys Ed Dept" t-shirt that Eddie Murphy's character Axel Foley is seen wearing in (click →) Beverly Hills Cop? (The movie's producer Jerry Bruckheimer was born in Detroit, and is also a Mumford alumnus.) During much of the 1950s and early 60s, Mumford High served a predominantly Jewish student population. — On the Jewish Holidays there were maybe 2 dozen students in the whole school out of a total student population of about 3000!
so is eddy murphy jewish or was it a joke?

frnash

so is eddy [sic] murphy [sic] jewish [sic] or was it a joke?
Was Eddy Murphy Jewish? No. Was what a joke? No joke there, but having attended that high school, I certainly was quite familiar with that word. [Your keyboard doesn't have a SHIFT key for upper case letters in proper nouns? :confused: ]

arcticgeorge

As of tonight NOAA reporting that Lake Superior is 89.4 % ice covered, only open water is North West of Marquette. Last year on this date it was 90 %
Exactly I was sure to include the TV6 weather guy in my comment knowing somebody would doubt it. Really freezing out now it was -8 a couple hours ago and then got a degree colder to -9 at the moment. Despite the sun shining here and there. Would not want to rip on the sled when wind chills are 30 below just standing there. I saw a group of 4 diehard Minnesota guys just getting to town today.

timo

its crazy to me that there is the same ice coverage today as there was last year today. Last years cold seemed much more prolonged and brutal. this year while there's been some cold days it doesn't seem remotely as cold as last year. I remember guys on this site crying because it was too cold to ride last year.

xcr440

Yup, I will stand corrected. Below zero temps have closed everything up on the north shore the last couple days. Crazy, from Duluth all the way to Grand Marais there was basically ZERO ice on the big lake last Saturday.

G

G

Supposed to be minus 24 here tonight. Then we will send it over to you guys. On the plus side there are no bugs.

D

Deleted member 10829

I rode from Copper Harbor to Bergland today in -8 and 20 mph winds at times, no problems at all. Even had to turn the handwarmers down a couple of times, although not for long. ;) Trails are so much nicer when it's cold, they hold up very well!

dcsnomo

I can see the Pacific Ocean from my window and it's still open. The groomer did the beach yesterday, though.

its crazy to me that there is the same ice coverage today as there was last year today. Last years cold seemed much more prolonged and brutal. this year while there's been some cold days it doesn't seem remotely as cold as last year. I remember guys on this site crying because it was too cold to ride last year.

It does seem that way. What I wonder is, did the lake ever fully "warm up" last summer? The summer air temps weren't really scorchers either. If the lake had a head start last fall by still being cooler than an average fall water temp that could explain why we're back to ice-over on the same schedule without as much deep freeze.