What is your favorite UP ghost story or "haunted" location?

matti

Halloween is my favorite holiday by far, and I love reading about regional legends, folklore, and ghost stories. Do you have a favorite UP ghost story or "haunted" location? My favorite story is probably about the Crying Cabin near Marquette. How about you?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a Ghost Story or anything haunted but a story of two B 47's that crashed southwest of Hurley, Wisconsin back in1961. Strange coincidence that two identical planes would crash in nearly the same location, weeks apart. You can visit the crash site memorial by snowmobile or ATV on trail 13 in Iron County. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/156251

As the story goes, the B47 was a strategic bomber during the Cold War. They were both practicing Bombing Runs whereby they'd come in at a steep decent, release their bomb loads and then pull up to escape the blast. For whatever reason, both planes failed to pull up in time and both exploded on impact. There's some artifacts at the memorial, a canopy, ejection seat, and other stuff collected from the crash site. I've been there a couple of times on the snowmobile. A great place to take a break and take in some local history.

rph130

Summerwind on the Cisco chain. A lot of unexplained stuff happened at that house that mysteriously burned down. None of the older locals want to talk about it and deny any knowledge of where it was. Ruins still remain but nature has pretty much taken it back.

matti

Summerwind on the Cisco chain. A lot of unexplained stuff happened at that house that mysteriously burned down. None of the older locals want to talk about it and deny any knowledge of where it was. Ruins still remain but nature has pretty much taken it back.
Summerwind is a great story. I've read a lot about it and it's quite fascinating. Last winter, I stayed in Eagle River and found the road that goes by the property, but I was too nervous to drive down it because I've read that neighbors don't like lookey-loos. Years ago, I even wrote a hand-written letter to the property owners asking for permission to visit the property just to look around, but (not surprisingly) I never heard back.

euphoric1

do you know of what kinds of unexplained stuff allegedly happened there?? was it like an Ed Geen story?? curious

SHOOT2KILL

Summerwind is a great story. I've read a lot about it and it's quite fascinating. Last winter, I stayed in Eagle River and found the road that goes by the property, but I was too nervous to drive down it because I've read that neighbors don't like lookey-loos. Years ago, I even wrote a hand-written letter to the property owners asking for permission to visit the property just to look around, but (not surprisingly) I never heard back.
Back around 1983-84 I took some pics of an abandoned mansion on a lake somewhere between Eagle River,Wi and the Alvin/Nelma, Wi area...Doesn't look like Summerwind...I'll have to dig them out of my archives and post them. Maybe someone remembers the place better than me...

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found this on Wikipedia...

According to popular accounts, Summerwind was built in the early 20th century as a fishing lodge on the edge of West Bay Lake in Vilas County, in northeastern Wisconsin, and in 1916, purchased by Robert Patterson Lamont. According to some stories circulated, Lamont employed Chicago architects for the remodeling. Some versions of the story name the architects as Tallmadge and Watson. Supposedly the renovations took two years to complete.[5][6]

Legends include claims that Lamont fired a pistol at a ghost one night and was so frightened that he and his family abandoned the house. Other legends include claims that subsequent owners Arnold and Ginger Hinshaw were so disturbed by hauntings that Arnold suffered a "nervous breakdown" and Ginger attempted suicide.

matti

Ginger Hinshaw's father (using the synonym Wolffgang Von Bober) wrote "The Carver Effect" in the 1970s (I think). He details his opinions on why the place was so haunted. The book is available online, but it's very expensive ($300+), presumably because there aren't many copies available? I did check it out from my local library several years ago, however.

pclark

We always made that a stop on our Summer pontoon ride. The old place was very grand and the terrace was awesome that looked out over the lake. It did have a rather spooky feeling to it though. It was strange going through some parts of it back then. Definetly a top five.

pclark

Maybe the "Light" as they used to call it north of Watersmeet on US 45 off that dirt road.

matti

The Paulding Light is off of Robbins Pond Road, but it's not too far from Summerwind. Some of my all-time favorite pics of Summerwind can be found here, for those that are interested:

pclark

The Paulding Light is off of Robbins Pond Road, but it's not too far from Summerwind. Some of my all-time favorite pics of Summerwind can be found here, for those that are interested:
Thanks for sharing, I have some photgraphs but when we moved up here lots of stuff still in boxes. 1981 was 40 years ago for me and I was 25 years old at the time. We may have been there before 1981. What year did it burn down?

matti

Thanks for sharing, I have some photgraphs but when we moved up here lots of stuff still in boxes. 1981 was 40 years ago for me and I was 25 years old at the time. We may have been there before 1981. What year did it burn down?
It burned down on Father's Day 1988, as I recall. It was struck by lightning, but in the past few years, some people have come forward with the suggestion that the town council (or similar) burned it down on purpose to keep ghost hunters and trespassers from coming to the property. See here:

maddogg

I thought there was a book written about it too??

rph130

We always made that a stop on our Summer pontoon ride. The old place was very grand and the terrace was awesome that looked out over the lake. It did have a rather spooky feeling to it though. It was strange going through some parts of it back then. Definetly a top five.
You were in the house before it burned? Like matti, I dont want to even go near it. I am not a believer in ghosts or spooks but there are a lot of things that cannot be explained by science or logic and I see no reason to tempt fate. My son and a friend of mine went there years ago to explore the ruins. They were told not to take anything away from there. Long story short, they came back to our cabin, planned an elaborate, (fake) story, brought a little antique candle holder into our house that they said they found in the ruins, and the "stuff" hit the fan. Scared the crap out all of us. So far, the best "gotcha" in our 35 year history up north.