What made this sound?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
So I was going to bed last night and could hear a noise outside, even with the windows closed. I opened them up to get a better listen and this is what I heard.

Night Sound

Anybody know what it is (not the fog horn from the lower entry light at 7 seconds in)? Sounds like a bird of some sort.

Or maybe Bigfoot?

-John

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I think owls is the winner.

[h=1]<yt-formatted-string force-default-style="" class="style-scope ytd-video-primary-info-renderer" style="word-break: break-word;">Barred Owls</yt-formatted-string>[/h]

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you've got an Owl there. But the next time it happens I would send Nora outside to find out for sure.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I think you've got an Owl there. But the next time it happens I would send Nora outside to find out for sure.

Haha. I am sure she would love to do that!

Heck, I want to build a couple of owl houses and see if I can keep them around. Best mouse/squirrel/skunk elimination there is!

G

G

In the immortal words of Harry Dunn - " Nice pair of hooters you got there. "

mrbb

an owl for sure
maybe a young one that hasn;t got the vocal cords yet , which is why the strange ending of its call

frnash

Aaah, owls, fascinating birds!

Check out this high speed super-slow motion video of an Eagle Owl swooping in towards a camera at 1000 frames per second. (Recorded at 1000 fps with a Photron Full HD High Speed Camera SA2.) Unbelievably vivid!

(click →) Eagle Owl (a.k.a. Horned owl) swooping in for a kill.

Be sure to click the "full screen" icon in the lower right corner of the video window, and click on the little gear wheel in the lower right corner of the screen and set Quality to 1080P HD for the best view!

Observations:
If the prey saw the unblinking, unwavering stare of that face zooming in (in absolute silence) it might have a heart attack before the eagle got it!

Watching the transition-to-approach and slow-flight dynamics in this video is just amazing. As a Pilot myself, it's interesting to watch the owl transition from cruise flight, go through "flaps extension" (more like "slats extension" by the owl) and "gear extension" (though performed somewhat out of order compared to how it would be done in an aircraft with rigid wings), and finally at the end be operating at very high angle of attack, low airspeed, and close to the stall.
Absolutely Beautimus!

Last edited:

frnash

Okay, fer youse what don't like to click on links, here's the embedded YootToob video
of the Eagle Owl (a.k.a. Horned owl) swooping in for a kill:

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/37MNE8tOBG4" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Tracker

So I was going to bed last night and could hear a noise outside, even with the windows closed. I opened them up to get a better listen and this is what I heard.

Night Sound

Anybody know what it is (not the fog horn from the lower entry light at 7 seconds in)? Sounds like a bird of some sort.

Or maybe Bigfoot?

-John

They can mimic many animal sounds....and when they do that it sounds like the animal they mimic but oddly off a tad or slightly different towards the end as they mimic....your sound is kinda short but is towards a real owl because its not off if it was a mimic....but here are actual howls....which are rare to hear....but these ARE real Sasquatch howls....see if u can hear some of these in your area but its not likely...if you don't want to listen whole video the sounds are at 4 to 6 mins roughly and 8 to 10 i think.....enjoy....i will try to find real mimic sounds and specifically owl ones....for you doubters.....camp by a swamp like back side of huron mountains for 2 weeks and see if strange **** happens and sounds....if you can ....lol

Tracker

FYI when I say I saw what appears to be a females footprint in the snow....17 inches long but narrow....its just like the middle cast on his shelf in this film....almost identical....long but narrow and very human like and defined with clear toe prints....2 feet of snow....swampy area with non frozen running water and many animal tracks also....mid February....back side mount huron by South RV ROAD area and the falls....kept pulling down trees to block us from going further....we were on sleds....6 of us....all saw human foot prints....it is what it is....once you see that Nothing or noone can ever change your mind regardless of ridicule....peace out....i will b looking again with go pro in hand this time...lol

Tracker

Wrong....and there's 178 people that say so and more that didn't file a report...this is only recently....not counting all the old reports

Top 20 States for Bigfoot Sightings

Click on a state for county breakdown and links to individual reports.

1. Washington, 573
2. California, 427
3. Florida, 266
4. Illinois, 245
5. Ohio, 240
6. Oregon, 234
7. Texas, 199
8. Michigan, 178
9. Colorado, 115
10. Georgia, 114
11. Missouri, 113
12. Pennsylvania, 101
13. New York, 100
14. Kentucky, 98
15. Tennessee, 93
16. Oklahoma, 88
17. West Virginia, 88
18. North Carolina, 86
19. Arkansas, 84
20. Alabama, 79

frnash

…Click on a state for county breakdown and links to individual reports.

1. Washington, 573
2. California, 427
3. Florida, 266
4. Illinois, 245
5. Ohio, 240
6. Oregon, 234
7. Texas, 199
8. Michigan, 178
9. Colorado, 115
10. Georgia, 114
11. Missouri, 113
12. Pennsylvania, 101
13. New York, 100
14. Kentucky, 98
15. Tennessee, 93
16. Oklahoma, 88
17. West Virginia, 88
18. North Carolina, 86
19. Arkansas, 84
20. Alabama, 79
Clicky, clicky, clicky, no linkey! :devilish:

Wrong....and there's 178 people that say so and more that didn't file a report...this is only recently....not counting all the old reports

Top 20 States for Bigfoot Sightings

Click on a state for county breakdown and links to individual reports.

1. Washington, 573
2. California, 427
3. Florida, 266
4. Illinois, 245
5. Ohio, 240
6. Oregon, 234
7. Texas, 199
8. Michigan, 178
9. Colorado, 115
10. Georgia, 114
11. Missouri, 113
12. Pennsylvania, 101
13. New York, 100
14. Kentucky, 98
15. Tennessee, 93
16. Oklahoma, 88
17. West Virginia, 88
18. North Carolina, 86
19. Arkansas, 84
20. Alabama, 79

Just more bs by Tracker. After a few beers even a bear looks like Bigfoot.
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/travel/michigan/2016/09/13/up-trail-cam-photo-spurs-bigfoot-debate/90298624/