What sled from your past do you miss the most?

sweeperguy

What sled do you miss the most? And why? My #1 is probably my 12 IQ. Not because it was the fastest, or the best handling. But the 1 OFF graphics. I got so many comments on, and double takes.
sled 048-1.jpg sled 046.jpg sled 044-1.jpg
2nd most missed would be the 72 AC Lynx 292 my Dad got for me Christmas/Birthday 1975. The season following me getting my snowmobile safety certificate. bf686bba-2f12-4dbf-b7c4-ae59603babfc_zpsc6mssyxw.png

euphoric1

Mine....92 Mach 1 still by far my favorite machine, rode nice, looked cool! loved how the hood and windshield ran into one, and with a Formula Fast Fat boy single pipe, different rotary valve, doubled base gaskets, weights and a spring was fun to run!! so much so I found another, stock but in excellent shape!

D

Deleted member 10829

1976 Polaris TX 250. It was a very good looking sled for it's time and for a 250, it sure was quick up to about 65 or so. I was 14 at the time and just had a blast with that sled!

mrbb

well this is a subject I think I dug into a few yrs back
back in the late 90's I was into big triples, I was also younger and in better shape LOL
but I always loved them, this in 2015, I seemed to get a bug up my Butt and came across a mint condition 1997 Thunder cat, that was sitting in storage for almost 2 decades
1,000 miles on it and in just great shape
SO, I had the plans to do a full redo with some more modern upgrades
I went to a AGLT front end mod, to get me 13 inches o suspension up front, had a 137 inch skid (from a newer crossfire) and 1.25 track and tunnel extension done to get the same on the back
kept motor mostly stock, but fully gone thru
sleds was about as close to brand new, with upgrades as could be
just loved the looses and sounds of these old classic's and them triples!
like vintage HOT RODS to me!

first yr after fully re done, first ride on it in GOOD snow, my dreams started to all apart LOL
my back and bad knee's just couldn't. handle the low seating position like it used to back in the yrs these sleds were new!
I will admit the sled steered better than any sled I ever rode with that AGLT front end(like 46 inch wide ski stance)
the motor sounded and pulled as hard as any thing I ever rode and IMO would have ATE modern 800's (maybe even 850's for that matter)on FLAT ground LOL
was a rocket with classic sounds and easy on the eye's, but
I just couldn;t enjoy it as I THOUGHT I would even with the upgrades
THEN sadly a few weeks after the first ride, I was riding and hit a piece of Railroad TRACK< someone hammered into the ground leaving it sticking out about 6- inches, and I caught it with a ski carbide and it totaled the sled(mostly just tore a arm off and destroyed ski
SO< Like a guy with a passion for the old sleds, I Bought it back off the Insurance company, due to price was right, . and again RE built it again! LOL
or should say a friend did all the work for me!

I got it back, and it was again like new, with a few more new things added!

However, I never got a chance to ride it again, as a day before I as going to take it on a trip, I was offered a price for it I couldn;t say NO too!

I weighted the options in my head about keeping it, and then remembered how bad my back and knee's are and the pains I had riding it?

and sold it!

as logically it was the better thing to do, but I still miss it now as the day I sold it ?

SO, I had my sled I always wanted BACK again, and then sold it HAHA!
Maybe some day will do another one up and just keep it to look at , or some special easy flat trail rides! LOL
so older T cats get my vote here on sleds I mess, I had about 6 or so of them when they were new, one build by Black Magic, and one built by D&D racing, that made some serious HP and get up and go, but again, was younger back then top ride them !

Attachments

• last of T cat and ZRT 003.jpg
    last of T cat and ZRT 003.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 23
  • last of T cat and ZRT 008.jpg
    last of T cat and ZRT 008.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 23
  • last of T cat and ZRT 010.jpg
    last of T cat and ZRT 010.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 19
  • last of T cat and ZRT 011.jpg
    last of T cat and ZRT 011.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Tcat smash 4.jpg
    Tcat smash 4.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 22

Carbide

One I haven't sold yet and probably never will. 2015 Apex XTX
The other is ordered and will likely be my new favorite. 2021 Sidewinder L-TX SE.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Not on my phone, but I will put one up when I am on my computer tomorrow.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to say, I never met a sled from my past I didn't love. The first family sled was a Panther followed by an Olympic one lunger. Jumped to Polaris to ride an Indy for a few years. Then on to Ski Doo with an early MXZ, followed by my first 4 stroke the 09 TNT with the 1200 engine. My current ride is the 900 ACE in the Blizzard chassis. I have to say that every one was an upgrade from the previous. It's been fun watching the technology improve with each passing model year. Better ride, better performance, better gear, better trails, what's not to like?

Blizzard 1.JPG

xcr440

I'll try to find a pic of it, but my favorite of all the sleds we had growing up was the old mans 1973 TX 500 Limited - when he started dumping the vintage sleds, that was the first one he let go. It was a very sad day for me.

m8man

I miss the feeling of truly appreciating a sled. I can recall when I was about 12 my Dad bought a Yamaha Bravo for me. One of the coolest feelings I've never seemed to quite experience again. I've had many sleds in my life, but that first one, struck some feelings.

m8man

wfd123

Might be my 1972 Yamaha GP292. What a fast light single cylinder or my Polaris Ultra. Can’t beat the sound of the triple cylinder. Both are memories. Now I ride a SW

Madmachz

76 Mercury Trail Twister 440. I had been riding a 71 99cc Yardman Sno Cub and was tired of the bigger neighborhood kids outrunning me on foot so dad started to let me ride the MERC. He had to start it for me because I was too small. Lmao.

oldguy

The sled I missed the most was not my favorite sled. I probably only rode it only 10 miles. Back in the mid 70’s I purchased a 1971 Arctic Cat King Cat with a 793 Hirth. It had a blown motor and the hood was banged up. Took it home and rebuilt the motor and repainted the hood. I even found some original decals to put back on it. I then drove it for the first time and realized that this isn’t the something you take for a trail ride. I really didn't have that much money tied up in it so I hauled it over to my father-in-law’s barn and forgot about it.

Some guy called out of the blue in the late 80’s and offered me 350 bucks. Money was tight and I jumped at the chance to get rid of it. Years later I discovered he was a snowmobile collector that was hunting for King Cats. Cat only made 178 of these and they now sell for over $10,000. It was kind of a reverse barn find with me being on the short end.