What the heck is wrong with my VGA signal?

dognvenus

Need some help from the techies out there...

I have a Sony VGN-FS660 laptop.... great laptop and have had it for many years without an ounce of problems.
Only problems have been operator created...

I tried to hook up the laptop to our Sony 52 inch via the VGA connection.
I have a brand new cable and have used the FN/F7 key to switch from monitor to VGA. When I do it goes from a 'no signal' screen, to a black screen. When I go to VGA/Monitor both screens go dark....what am I missing?

ADDED: I am running a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 video card

Any help would be appreciated

Dog

Last edited:

MZEMS2

Do you need to change the "input" or "source" on the tv? We have to switch ours to "A/V 1". I assume you flipped through all the options....maybe RGB on the TV?

dognvenus

Yea AlumaDoo....I switched it but all I get is a dark screen. I know its getting something because I can switch from the laptop screen to the VGA and both screens go dark. If I dont switch it and just leave it on the laptop monitor it show 'no signal' on the TV.

Thanks for the idea

snocrazy

Try tweaking the video settings for the external monitor if it gives you the option. Some time using a refresh rate or resolution that the monitor does not support will cause this.

I have seen issues with connecting projectors in the office with all kinds of laptops. Dell, HP, IBM all seem to have issues switching between the internal lcd and external. Some times rebooting the laptop with the external monitor connected works.

PS - All of the new laptops have hdmi out.