What to do?

smed

I have reservations in Houghton for tomorrow through Sunday. Should we just put the sleds away for the season or will the trip up be worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have not been up there this week so I don't have first hand knowledge, but every year we go up in early to mid April (when everyone is raking their lawns in Wisconsin) and we stay just north of Houghton. (Getting out of town in Houghton will probably be bad) We have had amazing rides late in the year. I am sure there will be plenty of snow up there, just getting into towns is the only hard part. Also, watch for creeks and streams that start opening up across the trail when the weather gets warm. I think you would have plenty of snow this weekend, but I would stay in Calumet if I were you. Then you don't have to run through downtown Houghton/Hancock.

bpplatt

I have not been up there this week so I don't have first hand knowledge, but every year we go up in early to mid April (when everyone is raking their lawns in Wisconsin) and we stay just north of Houghton. (Getting out of town in Houghton will probably be bad) We have had amazing rides late in the year. I am sure there will be plenty of snow up there, just getting into towns is the only hard part. Also, watch for creeks and streams that start opening up across the trail when the weather gets warm. I think you would have plenty of snow this weekend, but I would stay in Calumet if I were you. Then you don't have to run through downtown Houghton/Hancock.

How long to they groom trails in Michigan?

larboc

I have reservations in Houghton for tomorrow through Sunday. Should we just put the sleds away for the season or will the trip up be worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.

There's lots of snow yet, this warm up barely put a dent in the snow in the bush. Still 2+ feet. Don't know about the trails, assuming they are fine for awhile yet but wet.

They groom until March 31st, weather permitting. Trails are always flat in April though as there is little to no traffic.

timo

At the rate of 50 degree days they're having and are up coming they'll be flat alright, right down to dirt flat. ;)

They groom until March 31st, weather permitting. Trails are always flat in April though as there is little to no traffic.

jimmyj

My brother and I are in the same situation and didn't get many chances to go up in Jan or Feb. At the end of the day we are still going and will make due with what we got! We are also going to catch the Michigan Tech Hockey game on Saturday for some playoff action. My other choice is to stay home and complain about a potential missed opportunity! Easy choice. Slow winter too so maybe we can help support the local economy.

blizzardmk

Take a look at John's "Woods cam" and the two trail cams. There is still three feet of snow in the woods. The trail through Hancock is looking a little brown, but there is still snow/ice on it. Riding will be great away from the towns.

I'm hoping to go at the end of the month. I feel fairly confident that the weather will cool down some and we will have another storm or two yet. Here's hoping anyway.