What trip(s) have you cancelled so far?

hermie

Sounds like my wife. She's a dental hygienist, so very hard for her to get off. I can pretty much take off at any time. Definitely hard when you try to plan trips earlier and later in the season when you do not have guaranteed snow.
Hotel prices are pretty reasonable out there. We went in early January, so town access was no issue. Makes sense with the higher elevation and later season though.
I have the same problem as you. My wife is a periodontist surgery assistant and they only want her to take off when the doc is off. If she ask off they give her all kinds of grief for asking off. Her doc always takes off the last week in March but very few years there's still any good riding in the North woods, last year it was awesome but those type of years are rare. I am a sparky and don't get paid when I am off so they don't really care when I take off. Sure glad I am not in medical. They work the crap out of there workers.

matti

The driving range at the golf course in Iron River, WI is open. That has to be a record????? Crazy.

snoden

Maine is an idea too… would love to be closer to a 10 hr drive than a 20 hr drive though, I can handle <15 myself in one day. Anything over 15 and we’d probably have to go 2/3 of the way and call it a night.
Headed out Saturday morning to Maine, 17-hour drive. Going to put down 12 hours Saturday and finish Sunday morning. We are headed to Fort Kent which is about as far North as one can get in Maine.

sMgE46M

Suppose to be our father son weekend in eagle river with riding starting this morning.

Still going up north but to our cabin in Door Co. Breweries in the afternoon with some early morning/evening surf fishing for trout with a fire on the beach. Either way itll be fun but def. miss the traditions we have during our sled trip - pushed everything to 2025 with fingers crossed.

Atleast with the warm weather it may be easier to start my project of getting 2x early 90s cats running that have been sitting at my in laws since my wife and I were 16... Would like to get them running so we can take our kids around the land they have and down the creek when it freezes.

old abe

Headed out Saturday morning to Maine, 17-hour drive. Going to put down 12 hours Saturday and finish Sunday morning. We are headed to Fort Kent which is about as far North as one can get in Maine.
snoden, please report back on how your trip goes. Maine is on our bucket list, and has been put off for the last 2 years.

rozzy43

That's a helluva pull right there! good luck and enjoy!

ridindirty800

Can you imagine the clown fest when the first rideable weekend hits in U.P/N.WI??? I am not even sure at this point I want to deal with it. I am supposed to be in the U.P Feb 21-24 but I just don't see any meaning full snow in the extended forecast. Glad we had 10 great days in S.WI in Mid Jan.

whitedust

Can you imagine the clown fest when the first rideable weekend hits in U.P/N.WI??? I am not even sure at this point I want to deal with it. I am supposed to be in the U.P Feb 21-24 but I just don't see any meaning full snow in the extended forecast. Glad we had 10 great days in S.WI in Mid Jan.
Maybe that’s going to happen maybe not. Posts on here are people are already starting to mothball their sleds. I’m in for February snow fall but will take a lot of snow and cold to get trails going. March not so much never had much luck in prior Marches best were when record snow was already on the ground and that’s not the case. It’s looking bleak to me. 🤷‍♂️

mezz

We had temps in the +55 deg range yesterday, night time temps have been above freezing for over a week now. Snow cover is down to about 4-6" & the trails are dirt. Only snow cover is in areas that have not been plowed or groomed. Had some light rain early this a.m. & currently have a few flakes falling with a temp of +33. We are suppose to get colder tonight with a high wind advisory in effect through 10pm & very little snow expected. IF this takes a turn toward winter like, it more than likely will not last long much less be enough to bring it back. This season is definetly one for the record book.

dfattack

SW burbs of chicago we had lightening and torrential rain for about 30 mins with hail last night around dinner time. CRAZY

snoden

When I started this thread the day after X-mas I never thought it would still be active on February 9th, just as many have said "CRAZY." Here in North central Ohio it's 64* as I type this @ 2:30pm, high yesterday of 67*.

snoden, please report back on how your trip goes. Maine is on our bucket list, and has been put off for the last 2 years.

Full report when I return home. This has always been on our bucket list as well and as crazy as this season is for the Midwest we may be headed back in March if things don't work out for the UP the week of March 9th - 16th. We all bought the Maine season pass instead of the 10 pass in preparation. It was a good gamble for only $16 more for the season.

moen_lake

The Wife and I arrived at the cabin in Rhinelander yesterday. Couldn't believe how warm it was, felt like an early spring day. We figured we'd make the drive support the local businesses and get some indoor chores done. Anything is better than being in armpit of the country - Illinois.

pclark

Going to take a lot to get things up and run up here, it was 51 yesterday, 42 today with just a dusting of snow on the ground. More like mud season right now.

Highflyer

Yeah that's going to be wild NEXT WINTER.......

Bullitt69

Yeah that's going to be wild NEXT WINTER.......
John called it this winter, and so did just about every other weather outlet in the country. I have this feeling as El Nino poops out later this summer next winter will be quite the opposite of this year, or at least some semblance of normalcy. As John would say, eventually things will balance out, the longer it's bad the better chances it will be good <at some point>. Looking back, seasons following a warm winter are usually pretty good!

euphoric1

John called it this winter, and so did just about every other weather outlet in the country. I have this feeling as El Nino poops out later this summer next winter will be quite the opposite of this year, or at least some semblance of normalcy. As John would say, eventually things will balance out, the longer it's bad the better chances it will be good <at some point>. Looking back, seasons following a warm winter are usually pretty good!
most every outlet called it this winter with exception to the Farmers Almanac, they weren't even close LOL. I'm hoping for a wet growing season and a snowy winter after this past year uuuugh!!

kevinj

We are leaving sunday morning for Maine. Had this booked since last March. There will be some sketchy areas but there should be some nice stuff too. Too bad this last storm missed them. I saw that in the long range about 2 weeks ago hitting maine. Apparently I didn't cross enough stuff.

hermie

We are leaving sunday morning for Maine. Had this booked since last March. There will be some sketchy areas but there should be some nice stuff too. Too bad this last storm missed them. I saw that in the long range about 2 weeks ago hitting maine. Apparently I didn't cross enough stuff.
Very nice have fun and give us a trail report when you get back.