What type of wood to use on the TK trailer?

gigakessler

Need to redeck the 4 place Team Kesslers open trailer. The original deck lasted about 15 years. Anyone know what type of plywood Karavan and Floe use on new trailers? 6 sheets of 3/4" Treated is ~$200 vs Marine Grade at $400.

zrjes

I was just looking at this for my Floe Trailer

Floe Dealer suggested treated, but from everything I read Marine grade is the way to go if you want it to last. Im sure they are arguments both ways, it just depends how many years you want to get out of it. I remember the deck on my Floe was also sealed with a black gritty paint, which helped with traction and probably kept additional moisture out of the wood.

The deck on my Floe trailer has lasted since we bought it in 1998!

John

The ACQ treated plywood they produce now is NOT to be used in contact with aluminum. It is highly corrosive to the aluminum. I redecked my Floe a couple years ago and was lucky to have a connection that I purchased some of the CCA treated plywood from. If you aren't able to get the CCA plywood, I would use marine grade.

anonomoose

The ACQ treated plywood they produce now is NOT to be used in contact with aluminum. It is highly corrosive to the aluminum. I redecked my Floe a couple years ago and was lucky to have a connection that I purchased some of the CCA treated plywood from. If you aren't able to get the CCA plywood, I would use marine grade.
Good luck finding the CCA wood...not produced in about 8 years.

If it were me, I would use the ACQ wood, use good stainless screws and get some roofing stripping (not sure whatchacallit...) but is tar based and is about 4 or 5 inches wide, comes in a roll, and sticky on one side and often comes with aluminum on at least one side (probably to keep it from sticking on itself) and put that down first, then put the ACQ on top and screw away. This will give a buffer away from aluminum and do a nice job for many years. Fact is my bed is holding up just fine after 14 years but eventually this is exactly what I will do to replace it.

Still being produced, but not allowed for residential use. I redecked my trailer with it 2 years ago. Got it from a company that uses it to build shipping crates. I agree, if you can isolate the wood from the aluminum, the ACQ plywood would be ok. I just lucked out and came across the CCA plywood to use on mine.

favoritos

Anyone see the stuff at HayDays that had a rubberized coating on both sides of the plywood? That product looked like it would work perfectly. Sorry, I did not pick up anything with a name on the product. Booth was too close to the calender girls and the brain was still fuzzy.:eek:

zimmbob

Whatever you do, make plans ahead of time to do something to the underside of the decking BEFORE you put it on. Whether it's stain, some kind of coating, an extra layer, whatever. Because most of the moisture and problems come from the bottom up, from the road.... And that side doesn't get any sunshine....

cdsprague

You can use the ACQ wood with no problems if you put barrier tape on the aluminum first. At work we have a lot of steel on aluminum (which of course will corrode) and we have a barrier tape we use between the two.The tape is a vinyl tape.

Last edited:
Use just treated plywood I wil guarantee it will outlast your trailer. Don't worry about tape or any other non "corrosive" measures because the trailer will never out live it. Your not building a house!!

thunderstruck88

if you can get some of that i think it's called TEK decking thats is plastic and will last a life time it's a bit pricey but in the long run with staining and all the up keep it may level out in your cost Good Luck :D

thunderstruck88

Tek-Rail and Tek-Deck Vinyl Maintenance Free PVC Decking and Railings:

Buscaglia Decks offers Tek-Deck and Tek-Rail vinyl PVC products. Vinyl decking and railings are offered in a variety of colors:
• White
• Tan
• Gray
• Amber White

The solid vinyl rails can also be combined with eon maintenance free decking to offer you a contrast option.

The Tek-Deck floor board is unique to the market and offers a raised linear line running the full length of the floor board. This linear line provides the traction necessary while allowing you to hose or sweep in one direction down the board for easier cleaning.. All vinyl floor boards have some type of relief to the surface to prevent slipping, but by having these linear lines you avoid the star or "v" cuts typical of other products on the marketplace which are much more difficult to keep clean.

The Tek-Deck and Tek-Rail PVC vinyl decking and railing products carry a 20 year to lifetime warranty based on color.

Please feel free to browse our photo gallery for more pictures of our Tek-Rail and Tek-Deck products.

For more information contact us directly at:
716-681-2549
716-674-7118.

Or use our convenient online contact form.

Copyright © 2005-2010 • Buscaglia Decks • All rights Reserved. • Website by Powerweb Design Inc

anonomoose

Tek-Rail and Tek-Deck Vinyl Maintenance Free PVC Decking and Railings:

Buscaglia Decks offers Tek-Deck and Tek-Rail vinyl PVC products. Vinyl decking and railings are offered in a variety of colors:
• White
• Tan
• Gray
• Amber White

The solid vinyl rails can also be combined with eon maintenance free decking to offer you a contrast option.

The Tek-Deck floor board is unique to the market and offers a raised linear line running the full length of the floor board. This linear line provides the traction necessary while allowing you to hose or sweep in one direction down the board for easier cleaning.. All vinyl floor boards have some type of relief to the surface to prevent slipping, but by having these linear lines you avoid the star or "v" cuts typical of other products on the marketplace which are much more difficult to keep clean.

The Tek-Deck and Tek-Rail PVC vinyl decking and railing products carry a 20 year to lifetime warranty based on color.

Please feel free to browse our photo gallery for more pictures of our Tek-Rail and Tek-Deck products.

For more information contact us directly at:
716-681-2549
716-674-7118.

Or use our convenient online contact form.

Copyright © 2005-2010 • Buscaglia Decks • All rights Reserved. • Website by Powerweb Design Inc

If this is the stuff I think it is, the weight is prohibitive. Be like adding a 3rd sled to your trailer without the sled. WELL almost anyway.

snobuilder

Measure your plywood first,....it might be 5/8" and needs to fit under a lip around the perimeter. The marine grade will most likely have a better face grade and also fewer voids in the inner plys than the treated lumber yard plywood which is generally a CDX grade allowing fist sized knots.
I would opt for the marine grade.

Last edited:

thunderstruck88

hey ya'll I was just trying to help you out I am not always sure of what the best application is but I try like Avis take care and good luck on what your doing ;)

blutooth

Use just treated plywood I wil guarantee it will outlast your trailer. Don't worry about tape or any other non "corrosive" measures because the trailer will never out live it. Your not building a house!!

If treated plywood will outlive the trail, how come he has to replace the decking now?

The original deck on my Floe was 5/8" thick. It has to be routed around the edges to fit into the channels. I used 3/4" on mine, so had to rout a little deeper than what the original was to make it fit.

gigakessler

anonomoose - I forgot the newer pressure treated is ACQ and is far more corrosive to aluminum. Adhesive roof stripping or gutter patch would work great on the trailer cross members to prevent contact.

zimmbob - Good idea to waterproof the bottom of the wood right away.

thunderstuck88 - The problem with plastic / PVC is that it will be way too slippery. Most of the decking requires 12-16" spans so I would need to add more aluminum framing to the trailer. It was also 3x the price of wood when I priced out the deck on my house.

snobuilder & snolover55- I looked at the trailer and I think its 1/2" thick?

twark_kesslers - I think if we stored this trailer in your garage we would have less maintenance! Let me know when I can bring it over.

I'm going to look at the trailer again to see if we can make it through this season. When we are ready I think we are going to use 1/2" thick marine grade @ $50 per sheet x 6 sheets. We will buy it in spring and let it dry out for a few months so we can apply a waterproof sealer to the bottom.

trailer.jpg