What will snowmobile season look like next year?

xcr440

A couple guys I ride with were asking this exact question the other day - where are we going to stay and eat next winter if a number of these places don’t make it?
What funds are the State going to chop with their destroyed tax income? Will snowmobiling retain the grants they have been getting to keep the groomers rolling? (In MN there are a number of state run/maintained trails, not sure on MI trails)

It may look a whole lot different out there for MANY recreational activities.

mikes99ss

For me personally. I'm one of the fortunate few who call the U.P. home. My travels usually only take me an hour or two away from home. But.....Being involved in beer delivery for my job I deal with lots of these small stores and bars. So far, they are holding on but they NEED the memorial day crowd. It's a big part of their annual business. If you're out enjoying the summer sun this memorial day weekend instead of McDonald's or subway get your favorite Burger from the little bar you visit so often in the winter. They need it more than you know.

candyman

A couple guys I ride with were asking this exact question the other day - where are we going to stay and eat next winter if a number of these places don’t make it?
What funds are the State going to chop with their destroyed tax income? Will snowmobiling retain the grants they have been getting to keep the groomers rolling? (In MN there are a number of state run/maintained trails, not sure on MI trails)

Great Thread XCR440; as a business owner that is getting annihilated by the (safer at home) I’m curious what all the experts on this forum will say? As of this time we are seeing an average of 75/80 percent decline for May thru Oct..

G

G

Candyman, you are smack dab in one of the greatest unheard of snowmobile destinations. North of hwy 2 in wisc has some of the best riding anywhere. And it has been that way for years. The very reason it is so good is because there isn't much traffic. There is really only one destination which is The PubNGrub. But there are many miles of trails up there that you won't seenother sled all day. Not to mention the unplowed firelanes with 3 feet of snow. Bayfield itself is not snowmobile welcome and you never know if the trail to Red Cliff is open or groomed. But there is incredible riding up there. Have been visiting the area since the early 90s basing out of Namakegen. Have watched many businesses close since then. More will close now. Many operate on a shoestring and it won't take much to tip them. It will be different out there.

G

G

I am hopeful the Plywood Palace somehow pulls through. I think he is dealing with a lot less overhead than most.

Don't worry about Governor Whitmer diverting money from the trails to other purposes in MI. Of course, since many here think she is a witch, just maybe she has some magic up her sleeve to pull it off.
https://msasnow.org/another-weird-snowmobile-season-where-does-your-trail-permit-money-go/

Tracker

Its gonna be great same as it always has been....some businesses are closing...but others will open in there place....it will only be as terrible as you let it be....its all a test....believe it or don't

dfattack

Obviously you have no clue. Your government is
Going to fail you so fast you won’t know until us done.

The great reset is upon us. Lol

Actually as of today it appears they are failing us right now. How many people can't support their families due to a virus that obviously is more agressive to seniors and people with health issues, but no more aggressive than the flu with the overwhelming majority of the rest of the population? I feel like I'm living in a nightmare and can't wake up. It's the government that is dictating this and to be honest it's all the progressive politicians and anyone that supports this mess (media and their voting population). I'm just waiting for Trump to get up to the podium and say enough! to be honest I'm disappointed it hasn't happened yet. We need more people standing up like salon owners in Atlanta and Texas.

chunk06

I am hopeful the Plywood Palace somehow pulls through. I think he is dealing with a lot less overhead than most.

He probably never got the memo that he was supposed to close. Last time i was in there he still had ashtrays on the bar, so he must have never got that one lol

Actually as of today it appears they are failing us right now. How many people can't support their families due to a virus that obviously is more agressive to seniors and people with health issues, but no more aggressive than the flu with the overwhelming majority of the rest of the population? I feel like I'm living in a nightmare and can't wake up. It's the government that is dictating this and to be honest it's all the progressive politicians and anyone that supports this mess (media and their voting population). I'm just waiting for Trump to get up to the podium and say enough! to be honest I'm disappointed it hasn't happened yet. We need more people standing up like salon owners in Atlanta and Texas.

Fed Funds Futures contracts for later this year pricing in negative rates.
This is going to catch our financial markets off guard because ‘it can’t happen to us’.

Sorry for the off topic. Back to snowmobiling, and yes it is snowing now in SE WI. Cheers!

blkhwkbob

Its gonna be great same as it always has been....some businesses are closing...but others will open in there place....it will only be as terrible as you let it be....its all a test....believe it or don't
Yeah, because people that are losing everything will be rushing to the Northwoods to open barely profitable businesses that are nearly impossible to get rid of. Keep dreaming.

Tracker

Yeah, because people that are losing everything will be rushing to the Northwoods to open barely profitable businesses that are nearly impossible to get rid of. Keep dreaming.

So next year your going to stop sledding and not go up north because of all this....i would take that side bet that you'll find new places to go to next year and you'll still sled....with that in mind....so will the rest of us....it aint dream either....people are still ordering sleds even....what am I missing? If anything again.....let me know....lol

whitedust

I want to ride up north UP badly next season as this past season was a riding disaster for me time and snow didn’t line up for me with other responsibilities. I’m going for at least 14 days and spread my coin around as much as possible.

DamageInc

The virus panic will end after the election.

But it will take a while for the economy to recover. Gas might be expensive this winter, too. I was down south this weekend, and noticed that most of the pump jacks were motionless.

hudson056

Im making reservations today for all three of our group trips, and picking our destinations like everything will be back to normal.

shelby369

Well this is a tough question to answer, I look at it this way.... as soon as the covi virus numbers get close or past the Hong Kong flu (1968/69) or the Swine flu (2008/2009) which our country/world did nothing about (more sick/dead by multiples) I hope to see next season being as normal as possible... the covi virus isn't going to mess the season up, it will be the power grabbing nanny state leaders who just can't resist.

Folks, its up to us to not let bureaucrats set new standards for the way we live..... stand strong.