What's been your experience with Ski Doo 1200 4 stroke?? Good? Bad?

dekx

Awsome thoughts on all guys and I appreciate info to.

Question in ref to hand warmers. I know it depends on weather, windshield, hand guards, etc, but my father's hands were always cold on his 2008 rev xp so I put on a set of RSI handwarmers and his hands are always toasty warm. How are the newer handwarmers on the 1200? All he has on his xp is the normal windshield and he doesn't use muffs, or gauntlets even when its below zero.

Just trying to figure out if I will have to change them for him.

Any info appreciated.

russholio

In my experience.....even though the handwarmers have multiple settings (instead of just high and low) they still seem to be just like every other Doo I've had in that sometimes they're really hot, and sometimes not so much, regardless of where they're set. Still, I can't say I've ever had cold hands.

Keep in mind that on the 1200's, the warmers don't activate until 2000 rpm's so even though you might start the engine and let it warm up before your ride, the warmers will not.

craze1cars

Russholio is 50% correct. Clearly he has a sled with the premium gauge. Mine does not act like his does since I have the standard gauge. Be aware the 1200 Doo comes in 2 variations of hand warmers, based on the gauge that comes on the sled:

1. All 1200's with premium gauges (X and GSX/GTX I think) have variable settings...like 8 or 10 heat settings I think, and as Russholio says they do NOT activate at idle, only when above 2,000 RPM. So pre-warming them is not an option on cold mornings, and they shut off every time you stop to chat trailside, even with machine running.

2. All 1200's with standard gauges (Adrenaline/TNT models I think) have conventional lo/off/hi switch and they activate at 500 rpm. This means they're always on when the sled is on, as one should expect, and mine are toasty warm after letting it idle during a cold-morning warm-up.

As far as I'm concerned, this is stupid as heck, that those who pay extra for a sled with premium gauge get penalized with warmers that shut off every time you idle your sled, but it is indeed the way Doo designed them.

I do find my normal lo/off/hi warmers to be plenty warm, capable of making my palms sweat on high. I usually leave them on low.

Last edited:

xcsp

Any reason why Doo has the hand warmers operate as mentioned above with the premium gauges? Why not have it operate like the others and activate at 500rpm??

One question I have is on changing the chaincase fluid on the 4-stroke Doo? With the mechanical reverse and battery location, how much of a job is it?

craze1cars

Any reason why Doo has the hand warmers operate as mentioned above with the premium gauges? Why not have it operate like the others and activate at 500rpm??

One question I have is on changing the chaincase fluid on the 4-stroke Doo? With the mechanical reverse and battery location, how much of a job is it?

Have no idea what Doo was thinking. Same moron engineers that designed the DESS system that causes everyone to do the beep-beep-wiggle dance every time you start up a Doo...DESS is one of the things i truly hate about Doo. All 1200's have the same 420 watt electrical output, which his huge, so it's not like the system can't handle putting out enough power at low RPMS....anywho....

As for chaincase, it sorta depends on your approach. If you just wanna drain the fluid, it's easy and fast to loosen all the cover bolts and just loosen the cover to drain the fluid (no drain plug), and then re-tighten and re-fill. Nothing but the muffler needs to come off for that. 15 minute project. But if you want to pull the cover completely off to do a physical inspection and full wipe-out, it's more involved but not awful. Gotta remove the muffler, battery, and tray, and reverse linkage, and loosen fuse box, etc. There's a lotta crap on that side of the sled. Might take an hour or two and it'll fight ya a bit until you learn a few tricks. Gotta use caution, magensium chaincase on all modern Doo's it's easy to strip threads in bolt holes when retightening cover (this is not a 1200 thing...that's for all doos). And the 1200's need chain tension adjusted carefully...it seems a few who don't maintain proper tension this have reported cracking the case, which is an expensive repair.

Last edited:

russholio

Russholio is 50% correct. Clearly he has a sled with the premium gauge. Mine does not act like his does since I have the standard gauge. Be aware the 1200 Doo comes in 2 variations of hand warmers, based on the gauge that comes on the sled:

1. All 1200's with premium gauges (X and GSX/GTX I think) have variable settings...like 8 or 10 heat settings I think, and as Russholio says they do NOT activate at idle, only when above 2,000 RPM. So pre-warming them is not an option on cold mornings, and they shut off every time you stop to chat trailside, even with machine running.

2. All 1200's with standard gauges (Adrenaline/TNT models I think) have conventional lo/off/hi switch and they activate at 500 rpm. This means they're always on when the sled is on, as one should expect, and mine are toasty warm after letting it idle during a cold-morning warm-up.

As far as I'm concerned, this is stupid as heck, that those who pay extra for a sled with premium gauge get penalized with warmers that shut off every time you idle your sled, but it is indeed the way Doo designed them.

I do find my normal lo/off/hi warmers to be plenty warm, capable of making my palms sweat on high. I usually leave them on low.

Thanks for setting me straight. I do in fact have the GXS SE (Senior Edition).

dekx

Alotta good info guys, and I never thought about that info with gauges as I have an X model with premium gauges and my father just has adrenaline.

As always thank you and I'm still deciding on what/if we will order new sleds

craze1cars

Actually, just looked in the service manual for my 09/10 model, which covers 2 strokes and 4 strokes.

This isn't just a 1200 thing like I thought it was...it seems all the Ski-doo XR 2 strokes have the same deal with the handwarmers, Etecs, etc. It's also written in owners manual if you read it carefully.

So if your newer Doo has a premium gauge, handwarmers are cold at idle. If you have standard gauges, they work normally at idle.

bigvin

craze1cars,..

GREAT insight! Very good info on our sleds.
One thing I DID notice on my '12 is that the hand and thumb warmer buttons
do NOT have a back light (lit up) I guess the '13 and ups do,....
My wife's '05 GSX has them lit up. No big deal,.... but really DOES come in handy
at night.
I may update my clutch as a gift to myself for next year!
But hands down the BEST sled I've ever owned in my 40 years of riding!
Thanks for the info!

:)

craze1cars

Ah yes...the backlit hardwarmer switch thing. Another example of Ski-Doo stupidity. Here's a secret: My 2010 warmer switches DO light up. And yours can too. Why? Because I put the bulbs in them after I purchased the sled.

Starting with the new XP, model year 2008, Ski-Doo completely stopped installing LIGHT BULBS in the switches. They shipped them all with empty, but energized, bulb sockets. Why? I can only guess because it saves them $2 and cuts 2 grams off their overall weight...

The switch blocks are identical, you can take them apart, purchase the correct bulbs thru a specialty supplier on-line for a few bucks, and put the bulbs in the sockets. They light right up. Several topics of "how-to" and "where to buy the bulbs" are all over Dootalk.

I have no reason to believe the 2013's and up have them lit up again. But maybe Doo came back to their sense and started putting bulbs in again? Only a newer sled owner could answer that one for us.

A couple How to links for your enjoyment: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/357142-adding-bulbs-to-switch-console/
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/384391-adding-bulbs-to-switch-console-startreraccessory-bulb/

Last edited:

russholio

No backlights on mine, unless in its infinite wisdom BRP also designed them to not come on until 2000 rpm's. Haven't done any night riding this year so I didn't notice, I had to go out and start in to satisfy my curiosity. Come to think of it I don't do much night riding anyhow, so I don't know if I'll bother putting in bulbs.

longtrack

We are having a problem with our 1200 s that have the Radiators in the front. HOT FEET I am wearing some light Socks Skidoo has for the problem and it seems a little better.

russholio

My feet have never been as warm as they have with this sled either (yes, to the point that I have to move them out of the footwells because they're hot) but I don't think it's because of the front radiator. I'm not sure that it's ever come on while I've been riding, only if the sled sits and idles for a while during warmer temps.

fjr4me

Ah yes...the backlit hardwarmer switch thing. Another example of Ski-Doo stupidity. Here's a secret: My 2010 warmer switches DO light up. And yours can too. Why? Because I put the bulbs in them after I purchased the sled.

Starting with the new XP, model year 2008, Ski-Doo completely stopped installing LIGHT BULBS in the switches. They shipped them all with empty, but energized, bulb sockets. Why? I can only guess because it saves them $2 and cuts 2 grams off their overall weight...

The switch blocks are identical, you can take them apart, purchase the correct bulbs thru a specialty supplier on-line for a few bucks, and put the bulbs in the sockets. They light right up. Several topics of "how-to" and "where to buy the bulbs" are all over Dootalk.

I have no reason to believe the 2013's and up have them lit up again. But maybe Doo came back to their sense and started putting bulbs in again? Only a newer sled owner could answer that one for us.

A couple How to links for your enjoyment: http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/357142-adding-bulbs-to-switch-console/
http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/384391-adding-bulbs-to-switch-console-startreraccessory-bulb/

I added the bulbs to my 2011 Adrenaline and they lit right up. Did the same for my wifes 2011 TNT 600etec.

craze1cars

Russholio, keep in mind that a radiator will generate heat whether your fan is running or not. Coolant is still flowing thru it at all times. So just because the fan isn't running doesn't mean it's not blowing hot air back at you.

Just for clarification for those less familiar and shopping, not all 1200's come with front radiators. Mine does not. None of the Gades or MXZ shorties have it. I believe it's only found on the touring sleds, and maybe the GSX's? (not sure), utility 1200's, and it is an aftermarket add-on available from Doo to be put on the Gades & shorties if you feel you need it.

My Gade with no radiator keeps my feet the same temp as any other sled I've ever owned or ridden. Does not overheat them.

Last edited:

russholio

Russholio, keep in mind that a radiator will generate heat whether your fan is running or not. Coolant is still flowing thru it at all times. So just because the fan isn't running doesn't mean it's not blowing hot air back at you.

Good point. Thanks again for another reality check! :)

Can't speak for the GSX LE, but my SE definitely has it. And I'd rather have hot feet than cold feet, for sure (since my feet are almost always chilly during the colder months, indoors or outdoors).

dickmsp

Thanks for the reports.... I bought a left over 2013 GSX SE 1200 a month ago, love the sled, but 2nd weekend I had it, on a 5 day saddlebag trip, it didn't start.. Hit the start switch, gauges did the self test but no click, no starter.. Had a guy jump it with his car thinking batt was low, and it didn't help.. Checked fuses, disconnected batt and hooked it back up and it started.. Had about 50/50 luck starting it the rest of which luckily was the last day of a 5 day trip.. Took it to a dealer and no codes in the computer and it started perfectly of course.. Tightened up the battery terminals with a socket and it worked fine.. Was on a 3 day trip last monday and it killed while driving it.. It would start right up but when I gave it gas to go it would kill.. out of frustration with my new P O S ski doo, when it started I taped it and it kept running.. Got me back to cabin, but wouldn't start when loading on trailer to go home.. Took it to Tousley in St Paul and again, started perfectly with no codes.. I found online a guy had same trouble, and it was one of the two relays in the fuse box above the muffler. He remembered he was told to carry a spare relay, he remembered he had one in his tunnel bag and he was on his way in 5 minutes.. I called Tousley and told them what I had found online and they were able to determine I too had a faulty relay. They were able to fix it, and I was riding the following day and it ran perfectly. This was extremely frustrating getting a new machine and it didn't run. I thought great, another P O S ski doo, but now that it's running, it's a great machine.. Love the engine, love the air suspension. I put the woodys/ski-doo dual carbides on and it steers great. Love that it keeps my feet warm too!! I'm gonna try the lightbulbs in the hand and thumb warmer switches as well.. Have just over 2000 miles on it, I'm shooting for 3000 before the snow melts! I'm just bummed that the season is coming to an end!!

Last edited:

craze1cars

Yeah...that's a good tip to share. Relays are to the 1200 what spark plugs were to the old 2 strokes...you just gotta carry a spare pair in your sled somewhere. They don't fail often, but when they do, you're done. They're $12 each, take 60 seconds to replace, and they have the potential to save trips or get you out of the deep woods. And if you're carrying the spares, it's also a 110% guarantee you'll never need 'em. Trip insurance. I feel for your frustration. I got pretty upset when my 1-year-old 1200 left me stranded for a day with that loose ground wire (I DID have spare relays with me and I tried them during my troubleshooting...didn't help in my case). But was pretty pleased when I finally found the offending loose bolt and fixed it for free...

russholio

Off the topic of the OP, but since we were talking about hot feet......

Just occurred to me that the brake disc is right next to your left foot, and the chaincase is right next to your right foot. Is it safe to assume they also generate a bit of heat that would contribute to hot feet? I know this configuration is the same on an XP but I never owned one -- my last sled was a Rev where both were located under the hood forward of the footwells.