Whats the difference 80 TX vs TX-C??

slimcake

Looking to purchase a relic. My first sled was a 1980 Polaris TX 340 free air. I found a very nice 80 TX-C and just wondering what the difference was/is?? It is still free air cooled. It has a rubber track which my tx had the steel cleated track. Anything else? I was told it just had a little more performance. What does the C actually stand for? IMAG0902.jpg

bearrassler

The rubber track is the difference. I am not sure if the rear suspension is different but I think it is also.

snoluver1

I did some digging around in my Vintage bible (service manual). Engine, clutching, carbs are all identical. The only difference I can see is in the track and rear suspension.

Then I did some diggging around on Google. It seems the TX-C was the factory cross country race sled. They were a bit more rare than the TX, but the factory had to build a certain amount and make them available to the public to abide by the racing rules of the day. No one seems to have a solid answer on what that number was exactly? There is some debate on what the "C" stands for. Some say "Cross Country", some say it stands for "Classic".

I'm sure our resident TX expert will have something to share, unless he's busy trying to land that record walleye, north of the boarder? Take it away Skiroule...;)

G

G

I had one of those. At that time the original 1980 TXL indy 340 was also being built. The TXC was of course lighter than the TXL. I had my TXC working really well. I entered a cross country race in which you basically drove around a quarter section of land 5 times. All ungroomed ditches. There was no doubt my TXC had top end on the TXL but it really wasn't much of a race. My arms were like rubber after the first lap and I could never catch the guy. That was the day I came to realize that Independent Front Suspension was the next big thing.

kirk600

As the others have said, the rear suspension and track are the difference. The TXC skid and rubber track is 121" like the TXL's , which may or may not mean the tunnel is longer. I do know that
Polaris had two seat lengths and two different size fuel tanks for the TX sleds......but Skiroule (Kelly) should be able to provide more details

skiroule

I think you guys have it pretty well covered regarding the difference in track and suspension (seems more like a TX-L setup). I believe the TX-L and TX had slightly different suspension mounting points but the basic chassis was the same.

I’ve always thought that the “C” does, in fact, stand for “Cross Country”. In the earlier models – say 79, the hood was a different color (all blue) and the sled had a much bigger windshield that was mounted in front of the hood vent. They also had these funky little tool kits down by the foot rests. I think the difference in the 80’s chassis was less obvious.

Based on what I’ve seen in the classifieds, the TX-C’s are much rarer than the TX’s and TX-L’s. I hardly ever see one for sale. That’s a very cool sled. I would grab it in a heartbeat. There just aren’t that many out there. Since you’ve had a TX, I don’t have to tell you that the motors are overachievers. They will wind up in the 9000 range, no problem. Would you run up big miles? No, but on a smooth trail these sleds are still a blast to ride.

slimcake

Got her home yesterday. Shes in great shape. A true survivor. What do u think shes worth?? Runs great. Got a spare track that is like New as well.

skiroule

Got her home yesterday. Shes in great shape. A true survivor. What do u think shes worth?? Runs great. Got a spare track that is like New as well.

Value is definitely a tricky thing. I have seen quite a few “restorable” 80 TX’s going for around $800 with the TX-L’s going for slightly more. Given the condition, model, and the fact that it is a true survivor, I would think it is worth quite a bit more.

It’s purely a guess, but I would be thinking around $1800, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. If you paid less, I think you got a good deal. If you paid more, it’s on the high end but maybe not completely out of line with the potential value. Unlike a lot of things, these sleds are never really going to depreciate.

If you’re selling, it obviously would come down to finding the right buyer that would pay what it is worth.

I'm sure our resident TX expert will have something to share, unless he's busy trying to land that record walleye, north of the boarder?

In between seasons but hoping to have fresh Walleye in the pan in about 3 weeks.

skiroule

It's a Keeper

Definitely a keeper - It looks like whoever had it took pretty good care of it. Hardly any rust anywhere, not even on the skis/shocks. The bumper even looks straight. Seems like it's basically ready to ride.

What I think makes it really special is that TX-C on the hood. Still not sure i"ve ever seen another 80 for sale. It's such an interesting combination of the standard TX and the TX-L. You got a unique sled at a very good price!

By the way, take care of that hood. Decals for these are a lot harder to come by than the late 70's stuff. I don't believe that even Intech is making them yet.

bearrassler

It’s purely a guess, but I would be thinking around $1800, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. If you paid less, I think you got a good deal. If you paid more, it’s on the high end but maybe not completely out of line with the potential value. Unlike a lot of things, these sleds are never really going to depreciate.

Back in January of 1980 I decided to buy a new sled and so did my brother. There was not much snow that year and a friend of mine had a good friend that worked at Polaris. He said that on February 1st we could get a great deal through him on certain models. The ones that we were interested in where the TX 340, the TX-C, and the Centurion. If I remember the TX was about 1375, the TX-C was a couple hundred more and the Centurion was 2070. I bought the Centurion and my brother bought the TX 340