Whats the feeling on a used beacon

frosty

I'm in the market for a used beacon, what do you guys think? I know it is one of those things that could be the difference between living or dieing, but how bad could a used one be, being that same person needed it for the same thing?

What would be a good price point? Example: BCA Tracker 2-$270 retail, used ?........$200......$150.......or should it be under $100?

snoluver1

I don't see anything wrong with purchasing a used beacon. They can easily be tested for proper frequency output and can also be repaired if found to be out of wack. The question is, are you signed up for avy class? That should be priority #1. Beacon does nobody any good, if you don't know how to use it in an emergency situation.

frosty

I am going to sign up for the Johson Creek one by BRP and Avalanche 1. That is top priority along with getting the gear.

Last edited:

frosty

The beacon doesn't worry me to much, I have to as part of full time job to find a piece of 1/2" wide pipe and be within 18" of it. Just a new tool to learn and use. I know with the beacon though, it could be life or death, so don't think I don't take that very seriously.

willey

Rent one instead from oerentals.com. If you do one trip a year it really is the way to go. They rent Air bags also. Very reasonably priced. I have used them on my last three trips.

frosty

I thought about rentals, just my experience in the past with rentals in general, is a major PIA! Pick it up at a certain time, has to be back at a certain time, then you hope the rentals work.....etc. I'm sure rentals such as a beacon would be top shape, but the hassel of it. If it was like a 2-3k dollar thing, then rental would be the way to go for that one time a year thing.

willey

I thought about rentals, just my experience in the past with rentals in general, is a major PIA! Pick it up at a certain time, has to be back at a certain time, then you hope the rentals work.....etc. I'm sure rentals such as a beacon would be top shape, but the hassel of it. If it was like a 2-3k dollar thing, then rental would be the way to go for that one time a year thing.

It's really not a hassle. They rent top quality gear and its shipped to wherever you want. Even comes with a prepaid return label or envelope. I've rented between 4-5 units each time and pay on average about $10 per day/unit. I've thought about buying also but it's just doesn't make sense unless you go more than once a year. They do sell there units at the end of the year at reduced rates so that's something to think about also.

frosty

Which are BETTER……….Rayovac…..Duracell….or Energizer?

Get a new kind of brand bashing going on! Hahaha

And I'm kidding about the batteries!