When you ride in town

Constructive input, rather than the pissy input I feel like offering. While this forum says I am a new user, I once was an avid johndee.com user and an advertiser on the site. I am pro snowmobiling and know many folks that count on winter tourism. You will not find me at a council meeting trying to end sledding...but we are getting closer to the day when you may get splattered with paint balls as you travel across my property. Not a single person reading what I have written below would be okay with this being done at their own homes. SO....:

1. If you are in town, it is a safe bet that there is no public property to ride on that isn't a street or part of the trail system. Do not explore. Period.
2. Following someone else's sled tracks is not a valid excuse to go anywhere.
3. Read the damn signs.

I was out of town Wednesday and Thursday this week. I arrived home last night just in time to catch a group of riders blowing past the sign as you enter my yard. I stopped the 1st sled and made him (and the 2nd one) both turn around, the others hadn't entered yet. He told me he didn't know it was private property, then told me he was "only following sled tracks". Said he wanted to get to the water (we are near Lake Superior and on the Ontonagon River), I advised him there was no access anywhere for him to do so.

When I showed him the sign he drove passed, the used some choice language with me. To be fair, I wasn't polite when I stopped him, nor do I need to be. They left and then proceeded to poke in and out of other parking lots and streets nearby, trespassing at least one other time that I saw. They wanted water access no matter what. My wife has stopped several this year too and had several foul men speaking back to her, not sure how you can be clearly in the wrong and be sassy or confrontational.

The sign he drove past is octagonal shaped, red and white in color and says "Private property, No Tresspassing, No Soliciting, No Loitering" on it. Looks like a stop sign without even reading it. It is centered in the driveway, from a sled you can extend your arm and touch it as you drive by. In order to negotiate past it, there is no way to avoid seeing it. The other entrance (the drive is wrap around) has a red and white sign, rectangular shaped that says "Private Driveway, Do not enter, No turn arounds" on it and also is front and center as you approach.

I decided to check out the cameras I have set up to see just how much traffic was went thru leaving tracks that others want to follow. There was a large number of camera triggers from 3:15pm to 5:15pm so I counted the sleds. In a 2 hour time slot, 24 sleds came thru my backyard, this was not including the group that I spoke to. Every sled caught on camera was going at cruising speed, not a single one slowed down or stopped to read the signs (different groups entered from opposite entrances).

This wasn't something unusual or extraordinary, this was an average day at my home. I estimate 20-40 do this each and every day. I tried everything to stop it...nothing works. A couple years I put up a PVC plastic rope (so nobody would get hurt) across the entrance. Orange flags attached to get attention, again no possible way to not see it...yet the traffic would go thru anyway....breaking the rope as often as I was willing to re-hang it again.

This isn't a couple renegade young bucks doing as they please, this is group after group after group...day after day. I suspect a good number of you reading this right now may have been thru my yard this season. I have grandkids and nieces and nephews that play in the snowbanks in my yard...it isn't safe for the smaller ones. There is no excuse for it. None.

In this case, you are in town. At the end of Main St. My home doesn't have a bar or restaurant sign out front. Even despite signs and ropes, there is zero reason to believe that this is a public place you should be allowed to ride. You are welcome to ride our streets and trails. You are not welcome to explore the neighborhood.

katden4

What leads them down the road to your place? How far is the trail? Just thinking there might be a way of stopping it before they even get to your road. There is no excuse for any of them much less groups of them. Snowmobilers can be their own worst enemy, no doubt about it.

old abe

wireburnguy, I can remember you from your store in Mass City years ago. I feel for your frustrations on the trespass issues, and your efforts to try and stop it. I know where you are talking about. However, sadly, this is the "I don't care", Irresponsible, Disrespecting Attitudes of today. There's way too much of it. Sadly it's not just the younger crowd, but many jerk ass adults also conduct themselves this sick minded manner. Hang in there, and good luck to you.

catspaz8

images

What leads them down the road to your place? How far is the trail? Just thinking there might be a way of stopping it before they even get to your road. There is no excuse for any of them much less groups of them. Snowmobilers can be their own worst enemy, no doubt about it.
The last group said the wanted to get "to the water". There is no access to the river or the lake nearby. There is a VFW across the street, a well marked building that nobody would confuse mine to be. Last 2 places at the end of the main street here in Ontonagon. There is nothing here to attract nor is there anything on Google Map that might make you think there is.

The shipyard compound next door to me has the same problem. People want to see so they drive thru gates that warn not to enter, mention Federal Government property, etc.

I suspect many are leaving Stubbs or Syls and want to explore without regard to where they are.

Last edited:
Update since I posted earlier:

The wife was angry last night and moved her car to block one entrance. This morning in the narrow gap between the car and the Private Driveway, Do Not Enter sign she said there were snowmobile tracks.

No possible way a person didn't realize they were unwelcome past that point...but the squeezed past.

If it isn't a trail or a street, odds are you are not welcome to ride there. Just saying.

Tuck

sorry for the folks that choose not to respect private land and the issues it causes you. there is a landowner by Lac la belle that has a sign reading "active shooting range" which it is and according to him has seen a sled go by while looking in the scope down range. wow to your last post. Guessing these folks wont see the danger of the sign below either then.
keep-off-barbed-wire-no-trespassing-sign-k2-0486.png

mezz

Trespassers Will Be Shot, Survivors Will Be Shot Again..... Too bad that's not legal to post....... I feel for you, I have experienced your anguish. One night I happened to be out in the yard (late) & was visited again, this time with 17 ass hats, I had enough & stood out there with a spade shovel on my shoulder & directed them out promptly as they were in an area in my yard which was one way out & they had to pass by me. I'm certain they thought I was nuts & spread the word......... not saying to do that, but, I simply snapped...... Nonsense like this can get the best of you sometimes, especially when you take measures to give advance notice. Surveillance cameras & the Po-Po......???? or perhaps take the signs down, nothing ventured nothing gained???

Last edited:

whitedust

If I wanted sleds out I would check with local club ask for help to block your property. If club is no help ask police what you can do legally to shut off entrance rope , wire ,flags , tape whatever is allowed. There has to be barriers you could use.

old abe

Years ago we had a beautiful "police" dog, (shepherd). It took her a while to get to be property protective, 2 years old. But after that NO ONE was welcome on the farm without our approval. Best friend my son ever had. Cindy knew what time his school bus was due, and would go out to meet him. No need to worry. One night, Kathe, and Kyle where home alone, Cindy "treed" several treaspassers as their car broke down. After I arrived home, the local deputy Sheriff told me that our dog was dangerous, and I would be liable for someones injuries? State cop told me she was only doing her duty, and our insurance will cover her.

pclark

If I am reading this correctly, you are a landowner and this is why landowners close trails, if I had this happening everyday I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have as much patience as you do after hearing that is is constant day by day and into the night. After re-reading the post I guess the issue is that the trail goes by your property and the riders that have no respect are trying to find a way through your property to the the lake/water for some reason. Like WD says I would get the local club involved as it is all going to go back to them when the trail is lost completely. Education in the sport is lacking at this time and it seems that people just want a nice new sled, all the gear, great trails to ride provided by all the volunteers that make it happen for them so they can have a good time and not respect the laws that are in place to make the sport respectful and safe.

Wolfey

So sorry this is happening to you.

The gps maps may be to blame too. We had an experience last year with a really upset owner. He couldn’t figure out why all these sleds were coming down his lane and then yard and onto the lake. The polaris app showed a trail on his property and everyone was following it.

I gave him the number to Polaris a screenshot of the trail and got the heck out of there.