Where can I find what areas are open?

jjlrrw

Is there a one stop shop to understand what Townships in each county has opened the roads to ORV?

mrsrunningbear

Is there a one stop shop to understand what Townships in each county has opened the roads to ORV?

I have great info for you and maps for houghton, baraga, ontonagon, gogebic and iron counties in the western up and can direct you to people and clubs in other areas of the up PM or call me 906-827-3208

thebluff

For the UP it might be easier to list what roads are closed (or what counties are closed to ORV). A few years back there was a bill passed that allowed each county from US10 (northern lower peninsula) and north to allow county roads shoulders to be open for orv traffic. If a county says yes, I think they are only allowed up to a max of like 3 or 5% of county roads closed due to environmental or other reasons. The rest remain open. State highways are not legal. This was to make it consistent when riding cross county.

I see there was a bill signed last year to expand the above rules, looks like it possibly allows counties south some ability too. I was involved in going to hearings in Lansing for the older law but have not kept up. As I remember a good share of the counties up here adopted the law.

http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/08/new_state_law_will_allow_offro.html