Where to buy gear?

semper83

Hello! If this isn’t the best place for this question let me know. My family and I are getting back into snowmobiling after a 20 year hiatus. Lots has changed in the industry since I last looked 😁. Where are folks buying their gear these days? The first item on our list is helmets.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would visit your local dealers, especially for the helmets as they can vary in sizing depending on the make and model. I don't have a good comfort level for buying gear/clothing on line. It's convenient but the sizing is so important when you're working with layers, boots, and gloves. Good luck finding what you need and welcome back to the world of snowmobiling!

whitedust

Software online for sure to get the size you need. Helmets with any dealer so you can try on hats have to consider vision and head fit.

lofsfire

This is a loaded question. Depends on what you want/ willing to pay...

With that said, assuming you looking for deals since you are outfitting the family. Check dealers, ebay, Denises Kirk, even amazon. Just depends on how much work you want to put into finding that deal.

I have had good luck at Highlands Yamaha, Country Cat, Kens Powersports, More Freakin Power, and the list goes on... I have found the website at dealers are not the most accurate. Most do not have the time to list everything pick up the phone and make calls. Just don't forget you may have to factor in shipping on that "deal".

For example, Highlands Yamaha has shown the same inventory on their Cortech Jackets since last year online. I stop in back in October they had lots of Cortech Jackets in different styles and colors too. I bought my son of the Cortech Jackets and he has been very happy with it! He has used it in -15* to 25* weather. Never complained about being too cold or hot. and For $90 it's a great price.

Country Cat has Drift gear in very limited sizes for about as low as you going to find. They have a jacket for $40. I have the kid's version for my youngest. I think I paid $60 a few years ago, which was still a deal. The Drift gear is the same as the Arctic Cat gear, just a different logo.

Past the deals, and what I think is the most important is, how well does the gear regulate your body temperature? If you are not comfortable when you are out there the "deal" won't mean a thing!

Look a the spec of the gear insolation thickness in different areas of the body. Does it come with or without liners or zipper vents? That Cortech Jacket has very similar specs to my FXR Jacket with a $200 price difference. Both have liners that can be removed.

One thing I will say is to buy a good set of gloves! In all the years riding now, that is one thing everyone always seems to be looking for is gloves. The highest insolation gloves I have found are the FXR Fuel Gloves. They have extra insolation on the back of the hand too. The other option and double the price is heated gloves... (FXR Recons) Lastly, if you have young kids buy adult gloves or mittens. The kids gloves are paper thin. If they have small hands buy women gloves. Try on a few, see what the biggest size they can safely wear, and have room to grow.

Good Luck!

semper83

What town do you live in, and I am sure there will be excellent recommendations of who to visit.
We’re over on the eastern end of the UP. I haven’t found many dealers in the area. I might need to drive to the Soo or Gaylord/Petoskey.

homan

Indian River Powersports has a big selection of gear. They carry Klim which is expensive but really good quality.They are at the Topinabee exit on I 75.
Spankys in Alanson and also Sled Shed in Gaylord carry brands that are less expensive.

snomoman

This is a loaded question. Depends on what you want/ willing to pay...

With that said, assuming you looking for deals since you are outfitting the family. Check dealers, ebay, Denises Kirk, even amazon. Just depends on how much work you want to put into finding that deal.

I have had good luck at Highlands Yamaha, Country Cat, Kens Powersports, More Freakin Power, and the list goes on... I have found the website at dealers are not the most accurate. Most do not have the time to list everything pick up the phone and make calls. Just don't forget you may have to factor in shipping on that "deal".

For example, Highlands Yamaha has shown the same inventory on their Cortech Jackets since last year online. I stop in back in October they had lots of Cortech Jackets in different styles and colors too. I bought my son of the Cortech Jackets and he has been very happy with it! He has used it in -15* to 25* weather. Never complained about being too cold or hot. and For $90 it's a great price.

Country Cat has Drift gear in very limited sizes for about as low as you going to find. They have a jacket for $40. I have the kid's version for my youngest. I think I paid $60 a few years ago, which was still a deal. The Drift gear is the same as the Arctic Cat gear, just a different logo.

Past the deals, and what I think is the most important is, how well does the gear regulate your body temperature? If you are not comfortable when you are out there the "deal" won't mean a thing!

Look a the spec of the gear insolation thickness in different areas of the body. Does it come with or without liners or zipper vents? That Cortech Jacket has very similar specs to my FXR Jacket with a $200 price difference. Both have liners that can be removed.

One thing I will say is to buy a good set of gloves! In all the years riding now, that is one thing everyone always seems to be looking for is gloves. The highest insolation gloves I have found are the FXR Fuel Gloves. They have extra insolation on the back of the hand too. The other option and double the price is heated gloves... (FXR Recons) Lastly, if you have young kids buy adult gloves or mittens. The kids gloves are paper thin. If they have small hands buy women gloves. Try on a few, see what the biggest size they can safely wear, and have room to grow.

Good Luck!
Denises Kirk, Hmmm….did Dennis Kirk go transgender on us?
Haha

snomoman

Denises Kirk, Hmmm….did Dennis Kirk go transgender on us?
Haha
Well at least I tried to throw a little humor out there
I would second the Highlands Yamaha store, I have bought a lot of stuff from them in the past. what I always liked about the place is they had an incredible selection and you could try everything on and inspect it before you bought it, Bought a pair of boots there a couple years back with the Yami logo on it and I ride a skidoo

lofsfire

Well at least I tried to throw a little humor out there
I would second the Highlands Yamaha store, I have bought a lot of stuff from them in the past. what I always liked about the place is they had an incredible selection and you could try everything on and inspect it before you bought it, Bought a pair of boots there a couple years back with the Yami logo on it and I ride a skidoo
Damn speech to text on the phone lol. When I read your post at first I was going to edit it but now I think I'll just leave it! LOL Glad I could give everybody a laugh.

600_RMK_144

Absolute best deals are at Hay Days. Yes, some vendors bring their latest and greatest, but if you walk around you can still find "last season" gear for super cheap at the right booths. Just takes some walking. Fly gear in particular you can find real cheap at the right booths. But that won't help you until next season.

To be honest, most online store prices are pretty similar for regular priced items. Maybe $5-$10 difference if you visit several. Black Friday you can find some good deals on several sites. The real "deals" are in the clearance, but you may not find the size you need. Best online (clearance) deals I've found are at Ken's Powersports (also the best deals at Hay Days, even better than online!). As another mentioned, Ebay can have some good deals if you know exactly what you need. Dennis Kirk has a huge clearance section. Sizes can be limited. FYI: They do also offer free returns on helmets and gear. Upnorthsports.com and Firstplaceparts.com are the same company (re-branded sites with the same pricing and gear) and have some decent clearance deals as well.

It's really a matter of how much searching you care to do. I'm cheap and can spend an evening just searching for the best online deal. Also, if you wait until spring, the online clearance section starts to get bigger as they start trying to clear stuff out. Next fall they will be giving away last seasons gear (again, at Hay Days) to make room for the new stuff.

Welcome back to the sport!!!!!!