Where to ride?

Looking for some info on a few different areas for one last ride. We are going up on Saturday thru Tuesday and we would like to ride in the Grand Marias, Newberry and Paradise area. Or we could head North of the bridge and stay in Calumet and ride north. Where do you think trails will be in better shape? I believe with the forecast both areas could pick another 6-8 plus by next weekend. I have been to Grand Marias area earlier this season and the snow seemed deeper than the west side so I'm thinking that would be the best spot for the best snow.

packerlandrider

As of now you can't reasonably get through Houghton and Hancock due to lack of snow along the canal and 17 through town, but what I saw of Trail 3 at crossings north of there looked great. Saw a few bare patches on the Eagle loop on Saturday while driving around up there, but can't comment on how things are overall.

From what I have read, Newberry is low on snow, however it sounds like everything from Christmas-Wetmore-Grand Marais-Seney is still good for now.

bladeguy

Yes it appears Calumet and Munising are your best - and likely only - choices. I am headed to Seney. Not sure if Thursday or Friday night... With snow predicted it should be fairly good considering...

Last edited:
I going up to Calumet Thurs-Fri. I sure hope this forecasted snow comes or we'll likely have to cancel. For the people who've been up there within the last week...do you think it'll be decent riding if they just get 4" or so (in case the incoming snowfalls aren't as much as predicted)?

bladeguy

I going up to Calumet Thurs-Fri. I sure hope this forecasted snow comes or we'll likely have to cancel. For the people who've been up there within the last week...do you think it'll be decent riding if they just get 4" or so (in case the incoming snowfalls aren't as much as predicted)?

See John's post in the "Hancock MI and North" thread. He indicates that they don't need any snow for the conditions to be good. If I were you I would go no matter what.

Bladeguy, let me know how the snow is that direction. I have been on the west side three times this winter. I would like to head over by Grand Marais/Paradise since I have only been over that way once this season and it was great riding. I hope they all end up with 6"+.

ridindirty800

Grand Marais looks nice!

<div id="fb-root"></div><script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.0"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script><div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/michigansnowmobileassociation/posts/10153646745982656" data-width="500"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><blockquote cite="https://www.facebook.com/michigansnowmobileassociation/posts/10153646745982656"><p>Still at it in Grand Marais Sno-Trails Assoc.........</p>Posted by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/michigansnowmobileassociation">Michigan Snowmobile Association</a> on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/michigansnowmobileassociation/posts/10153646745982656">Tuesday, March 24, 2015</a></blockquote></div></div>

bladeguy

Depending on how the snow falls I am still thinking of heading to Seney tomorrow night. If anyone is headed that way I would love to have a riding partner...

oktaneho

I'll be riding with firefighter1. Are there any road routes or plowed logging roads in the Grand Marais, Munising, Seney area that should be avoided? Usually they get bare first...

bladeguy

I'll be riding with firefighter1. Are there any road routes or plowed logging roads in the Grand Marais, Munising, Seney area that should be avoided? Usually they get bare first...

Where are you guys staying? I like to stay in Seney because it is close to drive to and you can very quckly get up to Grand marais and easily head east and make a loop to Paradise and the falls. Forecaset calls for 4-8 today and tomorrow...

- - - Updated - - -

Bladeguy, let me know how the snow is that direction. I have been on the west side three times this winter. I would like to head over by Grand Marais/Paradise since I have only been over that way once this season and it was great riding. I hope they all end up with 6"+.

According to the Polaris snow may the have a ton of snow out that way....

Not sure where I'm starting or staying yet. We usually do traveling trips, but I think I will wait and see conditions before making that decision. I'm thinking we might head to Munising and start there unless we find rideable snow sooner. In the past we start riding from Watersmeet but I don't think that will work this trip.

Where are you guys staying? I like to stay in Seney because it is close to drive to and you can very quckly get up to Grand marais and easily head east and make a loop to Paradise and the falls. Forecaset calls for 4-8 today and tomorrow...

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any places to eat at in Seney? I have been at a bar there.

bladeguy

Just the Bar and there is a diner. I usually eat breakfast at the diner and lunch and dinner out on the trail. I just got a report for Grand Marais that we will probably not be able to get into town, but there is plenty of snow otherwise and they are grooming.

Last edited:

uprider1100

Can you get into Grand Marias to get fuel? I read on the Seney trail report that Melstrad is closed for fuel and I want to go from Seyney to Grand Marias and back down to shingleton and south and not sure how many miles it would be and if it's do able on a single tank of fuel.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
I realize this thread is more geared for the east end, but here is my report from the Keweenaw.

Picked up around 6" area wide and still some LES falling, probably an inch or two to fall today.

I would say that most towns and businesses could be gotten to again now, as the snow up until around a few hours ago was wet and heavy and now temps have dropped into the teens, freezing things up.

You can check the updated "Front of House Shot" from the AL Cam page. My driveway was bare gravel before the recent snows came. Both Trail Cams look pretty sweet too.

Temps will remain below freezing through Saturday morning, but caution...temps will rise above freezing with sunshine Saturday afternoon, so do not get stranded if you start out in a vulnerable spot Saturday morning!

-John

snocrazy

You guys got a lot more than over here. Settled to under 2 inches. Just trace so far today nothing to measure.
Windy as heck.

CatsOnly

Anyone have input on going through houghton hancock now with the new snow? thinking of droppin in twin lakes and riding to copper harbor saturday, thanks

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have input on going through houghton hancock now with the new snow? thinking of droppin in twin lakes and riding to copper harbor saturday, thanks

You would be OK (not great) now through Sat morning. But sunshine and mid to upper 30's for Saturday afternoon will make it ugly quick again.

-John

Thanks for the update everyone. Still debating on what we should do. But riding spring snow is better than no riding at all.