Which Load Range Tires for 4-Place Open

gigakessler

Time for some new tires on the TK trailer. Its a 4-place dual axle that we occasionally use to haul four 146"-154" 2-stroke mountain sleds. The front axle seems like it carries most of the weight on this trailer. We currently have range "C" tires. Thinking about get two higher range tires for the front axle and move the "C" to the rear axle.

Any disadvantage with going to a higher load range? Should we get "D" or "E"?

1.jpg

I would replace all 4 tires if your going to change ratings, the Load range E tires are most likely 20.5 not 18 so make sure your trialer has room. I had to install a 1.5 or 2" spacer when I when to E rated tires but feel confident that the tires won't be overloaded by the friend that needs to pick up a few things.

gigakessler

All four tires were replaced a few years ago with Range C - 205/65-10 (20.5 x 8.0 - 10). The reason we are only changing two of them now is we hit a nail with one tire and we need a spare. I compared the specs again and found the Range E tires are 8.4" wide vs 8.3" on the Range C&D. We will probably go with the RangeD. Thanks skeeter2010!

gigakessler

I also found out that double-axle trailers require the load rating be reduced by 12 percent.

• Four Range C tires max capacity is 3872lbs
  • Two C and Two D tires max capacity is 4259lbs (Estimated - not equally distributed)
  • Four Range D tires max capacity is 4646lbs

Four Sleds full of gas and oil 2200lbs ~ 2400lbs
+Trailer 1000lbs
Total = 3200-3400lbs

snobinge

I vote for you to patch the nail puncture...sell the trailer...and buy a four place inline. You will save money by not having to replace the two tires!!!

I also found out that double-axle trailers require the load rating be reduced by 12 percent.

• Four Range C tires max capacity is 3872lbs
  • Two C and Two D tires max capacity is 4259lbs (Estimated - not equally distributed)
  • Four Range D tires max capacity is 4646lbs

Four Sleds full of gas and oil 2200lbs ~ 2400lbs
+Trailer 1000lbs
Total = 3200-3400lbs

That must be similar to my dually the tires are rated higher single and when in a dually configuration

ragex2

having used both models of tires you are looking at, i would get the heavier duty 'E' range cuz it carries slightly more air for easier rolling resistence and the galv rims won't get rusty. good overall upgrade from the 'D'.....

yamadooed

Sams club 20.5x8x10 1535 lb 10ply on galv rims (5x4.5) free delivery to your door for 82 beans ea Item #: 417566.