Who put RR tracks on trail 8 in Bergland?

john w

I was out riding this past Friday a little north of Bergland heading east on trail 8 approaching trail 13. All of sudden BAM, I hit some thing very hard on the trail, I look down and the front right side of my sled and its smashed pretty bad,shock cracked in half,lower a arm bent, suspension all whacked, all kinds of damage ! I took a walk back about 40 ft to try to find what i hit. To my surprise I, T boned a RR track at about 25 mph, I kicked the snow around a bit and noticed there was no crossing,no RR ties,no shot rocks,no gravel or dirt to elevate you even with the tracks. Just a solid wall of steel. So i continued to walk back a little further and guess what (NO RR TRACK SIGN) any where !!! Just a fricking RR track, from what i was told, it is not even being used anymore. Just had to vent !! Sled is totaled. Thank god i am not hurt, and also for having insurance.

Last edited:

vector08

Sounds like the rail road left a "present" when they left back in the day! That sucks man, i hope i never reck a snowmobile.

In the past there's always been a stop sign there. Those are abandon tracks I believe. Two years ago my friend caught his carbide on that track and messed up his a-arm as well.sorry

swampcat

RR track

Those tracks have been there as long as most of you have been sledding. This would fall into the -EARLY SEASON CONDITIONS-amazing what 3 feet of snow CAN HIDE.

john w

Great

Ok, The call has been made, lets see if they any thing will be done !!! Like a RR track sign ahead, or at least bringing some RR ties to elavate the ground to the tracks height. I can't believe more accidents do not happen there. Very bad situation at that location !!!

Last edited:

Troutlaketerror

Up in trout lake we have the old RR tracks but there used for storage pretty well marked to keep people away. You would think that would be the same for most other tracks that are no longer used. Sorry about your sled

peter

pretty sure i know where that is and last year riding buddy roll over sled there doing about 15mph. no major damage or injuries, but RR track can be very bad.