why arn't end of year sled mag's on sale??

pirate

don't know about everyelse, but here in northern il the last couple of year's i can never find march/april or the last issue of the season mag's on the rack..border's , jewel, wally world or anywhere else that usually has them ..look every where i go and alway's loose out on the last issue.. yaya i know, get a subscription.. which i'm doing today.. i was thinking more along the line's of the occasional reader or the people who don't know alot about our sport, and might get more interest. or even the itch to try it out, or rent after seeing all the cool new sled's coming out the following year.. do ya think it's the magazine company themselve's or the supplier's who stock the shelve's, thinking snow's gone, don't need to put these out,no one is interested now...

G

G

As a retailer I can tell you the pull dates on a few mags. We have The Ultimate Snowmobile Buyer's guide. The pull date is May. We have SnowGoer. The pull date is March. We have Supertrax. The pull date is June. We do not have any Snowtechs at this time. I think their last edition sold out but was supposed to be pulled at the end of March like SnowGoer. Right now there gets to be a lot of bike mags. Perhaps some stores pitch the sled mags in favor of the bike mags for lack of space this time of the year.

frnash

"Pull dates" on magazines...

I never did understand that concept; as long as there's still a demand, why pull 'em? Is it clearly not just about shelf space!

Oh the number of times I've been hunting a particular issue of a magazine shortly after the next issue appears, but no such luck. Instead you have to deal with the aggravation of contacting the publisher for a "back issue". A really stupid marketing plan, if you ask me!

It's a bit like inventory control:
If any product is sold out before it's restocked, you probably missed some potential sales. Not good!

Ideally you should have a very small quantity left on the shelf when re-stocking, like one or two units; that means your stock closely matches demand! No huge overstock, no missed sales. Perfect!

G

G

I never did understand that concept; as long as there's still a demand, why pull 'em? Is it clearly not just about shelf space!

Oh the number of times I've been hunting a particular issue of a magazine shortly after the next issue appears, but no such luck. Instead you have to deal with the aggravation of contacting the publisher for a "back issue". A really stupid marketing plan, if you ask me!

It's a bit like inventory control:
If any product is sold out before it's restocked, you probably missed some potential sales. Not good!

Ideally you should have a very small quantity left on the shelf when re-stocking, like one or two units; that means your stock closely matches demand! No huge overstock, no missed sales. Perfect!
Wasn't it Enzo Ferrari that said ' We will build one less car than we can sell.' Seeemed to work out O.K. for Ferrari. Don't know how it would work in the mag biz. Magazine sales are all guaranteed for me anyway. What does not sell we get full credit. True, we do not get full retail but we are not hung with unsold mags either. Bikes and Bikinis rule this time of the year. I think it is mainly a space thing here and all over.

indy_500

Just subscribe like the rest of us. It is cheaper in the long haul.

x2! don't cost that much at all. even though my subscription for snowgoer and it ended a couple weeks ago and didn't renew, will probably before the winter again since you only get 1 issue all summer

frnash

Just subscribe like the rest of us. It is cheaper in the long haul.
Yes, but for me subscribing just triggers "Murphy's Law" for magazines: There won't be a single article in the next six issues that I'm interested in. :)
(That's not sleddin' mags, however.)

indy_500

none of the other brands are cover worthy!

(had to make sure no one would steal my address! :D )

and, I finally got my scanner to work! dang printer is less than a year old and the scanner just craps out when it feels like it!

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 13

polarisrider1

Snowest and Sledheads Mags are way better than Snowblower mag. They did a mininum job on covering the new sleds. We knew this stuff months ago from here on JDee site. Snow Trax is pretty good too!