Why is there no tree sapling in the mountains?

frosty

I've been watching all the latest and greatest teaser from all the extreme sledding films, and I notice there isn't any 1" or 2" sapling in any of those videos! The smallest I seen was like a 4" or 6" tree! Do trees in the mountain grow 4" a season? Nothing like the weeds and small sapling we have ride in the bush in the UP!

Whats Up with that!!!

frosty

The avalanches strip the ground of any new growth? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that? Unlike my hood, handlebars, and a arms…... Isn't the base usually like 10'? Do avalanches go that deep when they slide?

willey

The avalanches strip the ground of any new growth? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that? Unlike my hood, handlebars, and a arms…... Isn't the base usually like 10'? Do avalanches go that deep when they slide?

Depends upon the snowpack, slope, type of avalanche. They will move boulders the size of houses. They will fracture to the weakest level allowing the snow on top to slide.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Plus, the snow you see in those "out west" videos is typically 8-10 feet deep. So the 4-6" you see is just that, the top 4-6", the rest is buried under the snowpack.

-John