wifi thermometer

katden4

I am thinking of getting one for the cabin to heat it up prior to arriving. What are the pros and cons? I don't need anything fancy, just turn the heat up before I get there? We have electric, and internet available. My prior cabin was 100% off the grid, so I was thinking this might be a nice treat. Any brand recommendations? thank you very much!

CobaltR7

I am thinking of getting one for the cabin to heat it up prior to arriving. What are the pros and cons? I don't need anything fancy, just turn the heat up before I get there? We have electric, and internet available. My prior cabin was 100% off the grid, so I was thinking this might be a nice treat. Any brand recommendations? thank you very much!
Ecobee....Outstanding !

pclark

We have electric heat as well and I just bought a Honeywell thinking that I would just take the old one off and change out a couple wires and everything would work fine. Should have only taken 10 minutes (it did, but my wiring is low voltage and I had a higher voltage model). So check your voltage first and then make sure you buy the right one. Honeywell seems to have the most models. I bought on Amazon. I did end up speaking to a CS rep at Honeywell and he gave me a couple of low voltage models but I haven't purchased one yet.

dfattack

My son has the nest and I have some ecobees. I personally like the ecobees and would recommend.

I have five Honeywells the base model on two cabins and our base house and have used for 8+ years with no problems. to two cabins i have set with notification's so if the heat droops below 45dergrees it texts and emails me . they are great!!!!!

bagman

I’ve had an ecobee for three years at our place, we keep it at 55 all winter when I hit the Leo Frigo bridge in Green Bay I kick it up to 70 pow when we get there it’s warm and toasty gotta love that technology!!!

jime

nest. i think you need a yellow c wire for power (something like that) or risk batteries going dead when wifi goes out or you get disconnected for prolonged period of time. will work either way though

favoritos

@jime brings up a good point. It never hurts to do a quick check with your current setup wiring. It makes the swap super easy if you match the existing controls. I haven't done an ecobee, but most do have multiple options for wiring configuration.
It is helpful to be able to see your current readings and get a warning if temps drop below your warning set point. There is a little irony in that whole deal. I've dealt with systems that rely on wifi to communicate. Power outage tends to be one of the biggest factors with HVAC system failure. Wifi is generally tied into the same power.

I recently installed a Honeywell T9 at my cottage. Good so far. I like the fact that it reports humidity also, which is a concern for me.

katden4

thank you all for your input! I will take a look at the wiring next time up and see what is there. I know its an old basic one currently there, I believe mercury if not mistaken. the simple dial type. I didn't know about the function of alerting you if it goes under a designated temp, that's awesome! Well worth the cost to upgrade.

Northstar

I have 5 Honeywell TH6110 at the cabin for a 5 zone boiler, so it was a big price tag to begin with but great to be able to turn up the heat well before I arrive since water heat takes a while to heat things up. Most of the WiFi thermostats require the extra C Wire to power the circuit, I had to run new thermostat wiring because the old thermostats only needed 2 wires and you need at least 3. Also in my situation I had to install an extra transformer to power the WiFi circuit, C Wire, I was getting voltage drops with all that draw on the single transformer trying to power the 5 thermostats and kick on the heat. I will also say I like the older Honeywell app verses the "smarter' T5 thermostat. The older app has a web portal as well as the app and you get emails as opposed to just phone notifications.

scottiking

Ecobee....Outstanding !
I have 3 Honeywell WiFi stays- lyric5 I think
Been flawless for 3-4 years
I have one at home,one in the Lakeshack and one in the Lakeshack shed- love them
My tractor gets warmed up on my drive up to twin lakes and I just jump in to plow out-
Also I keep the cabin at 53 and when I get to Hayward I kick it up to 69 so it’s all warmed up when I get there
Also it lets you check the house temp from anywhere any time to make sure it’s warm to prevent the pipes from freezing
Scottiking OUT

scottiking

I have 3 Honeywell WiFi stays- lyric5 I think
Been flawless for 3-4 years
I have one at home,one in the Lakeshack and one in the Lakeshack shed- love them
My tractor gets warmed up on my drive up to twin lakes and I just jump in to plow out-
Also I keep the cabin at 53 and when I get to Hayward I kick it up to 69 so it’s all warmed up when I get there
Also it lets you check the house temp from anywhere any time to make sure it’s warm to prevent the pipes from freezing
Scottiking OUT

Attachments

• E5FFE12D-4E33-46C4-8C2D-B589EC338DA0.jpeg
    E5FFE12D-4E33-46C4-8C2D-B589EC338DA0.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 5