Winch cable keeps breaking

doofan1

About twice a season while plowing the cable on my 400 max xt breaks. Thinking about changing to a rope. Anyone try the synethetic rope available for a winch?

Thanks

mezz

You may want to check your fair lead rollers, but, the breaking cable is a normal thing as there is a limited amount of travel area between the full up & full down of the blade. I have been using the Synthetic Plow ropes for a few seasons now, the beauty of it is how long they last before they break & when they do, simply tie it back together & continue plowing.-Mezz

jakerides

Cable

Forget ropes and cables,two years ago I switched to 3" wide nylon tow rope (cut down to 10') Haven't had a problem since.

landoman

Warn makes a 6' rope made for plowing. Get new rollers when you purchase the rope also as any imperfections in the roller really wear on the rope.

The only downside with a 6' rope is that if you are not plowing and you get stuck, you have a 6' rope instead of 50'. There are also 50' rope out there but not sure if it is somehow different than the 6' from warn.

doofan1

I never thought about using a strap. I'm going to look at that option along with the rope.

Thanks for the info.

taylor6400

I use a piece of seatbelt webbing...similar to the strap. It works great. It wont break from plowing as long as its laying flat and not bound up.

stiffneckrob

A ton of serious river fishermen in MI and in other parts use 12 or 24v winches to pull up acnhor chain or pyramids. The rope that is used is varant of a climinbing rope and is VERY durable and abraision resistant. I can fit about 50' on my winch and lift a 74 lb anchor chain in logs and dedfalls with ease. Google RiverLarry if you want to get a better idea. I've also use to to pull the boat up onto the trailer in VERY low water situation with ease.

millertime

My set up does not allow for a strap, but I am on my 3rd year using the 6' rope from Warn. I switch to a 50' rope during the non-plowing months. I have yet to break a rope, yet to draw blood from the rope, and yet to have a bind up in the winch with the rope.