winter 2012-2015

billjd

Being a die hard snowmobiler and (eternal optimist) I will assume that Joe is right on the money here with his long term forecast. This forecast was given in September 2010 and refers to 3 huge winters starting in the 2012-2013 season through 2014-2015 season.

Goodbye global warming, hello white gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkKURzmPwso

Bill D

srt20

He sure butchered last winter. In fact as late as mid JAN he kept saying "its going to turn around cold and snow are coming"

Im not saying he is a quack, and I hope he is right, but Im not gonna hold my breath.

6mile

That prediction was made in 2010. 2 Years ago. Please don't hold your breath, we would have way too many blue people passing out all over the place.

frosty

So at the end of his speil, did he say next winter should start? I know in the begining he was saying 12-13 to14-15, but at the end he was saying 2 years from now? And what the heck is a PDO index?

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe John could give his 2 cents on this topic.

Well, I am not one to take pot shots at my colleagues, but I will say, if you readmy Soap Box Speech on Seasonal Forecasting, you will see a sentence that reads: "ALL SEASONAL FORECASTS SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT OR EVEN A BIT OF HUMOR. This is probably the most worthwhile thing to take home when it comes to seasonal forecasting.

Please believe me when I say; No matter how convincing a forecaster seems, or how great they say their track record is, if there really was someone producing accurate seasonal forecasts, it would be no secret and that person would be one of the wealthiest individuals out there. As I mention in my soapbox speech, there are some tools that can prove useful at times, but nothing that can provide reliable seasonal forecasts on a regular basis for all areas of the World, US or even all areas of the Midwest.

Joe is very energetic, one could say even evangelical in his presentation. This can be very convincing to the untrained eye, but is really just a very good show. Joe's forecast for last winter bombed about as bad as any. So believe what you want, and not to pick on Joe, but there is no such thing as a reliable seasonal weather forecast, no matter what anyone tries to tell you.

-John

Well, I am not one to take pot shots at my colleagues, but I will say, if you readmy Soap Box Speech on Seasonal Forecasting, you will see a sentence that reads: "ALL SEASONAL FORECASTS SHOULD BE TAKEN WITH A GRAIN OF SALT OR EVEN A BIT OF HUMOR. This is probably the most worthwhile thing to take home when it comes to seasonal forecasting.

Please believe me when I say; No matter how convincing a forecaster seems, or how great they say their track record is, if there really was someone producing accurate seasonal forecasts, it would be no secret and that person would be one of the wealthiest individuals out there. As I mention in my soapbox speech, there are some tools that can prove useful at times, but nothing that can provide reliable seasonal forecasts on a regular basis for all areas of the World, US or even all areas of the Midwest.

Joe is very energetic, one could say even evangelical in his presentation. This can be very convincing to the untrained eye, but is really just a very good show. Joe's forecast for last winter bombed about as bad as any. So believe what you want, and not to pick on Joe, but there is no such thing as a reliable seasonal weather forecast, no matter what anyone tries to tell you.

-John

lie to me john tell me its gonna be allright

jasono

I'm drinking the kool-aid! Made me feel pretty good about this winter! Won't know how it was until it's over though....

Is there any way to find out if he's still preaching the same thing?