Winter 2018

old abe

Well the early season "winter conditions" are looking very promising for 2018 in Ontario, Canada!!!!!!!!!!! Have sled. Will travel!!!!!!!!

old abe

What ar your plans?

No trips set at this time. We have been waiting for the North of Superior Loop to come back, but I don't think that will be happening this winter. Maybe something by North Bay???? Perhaps a remote border crossing loop north of Minn??? Riding bud wants to ride northern Minn, so that's a possible. The North Bay area was planned trip last year, but the 2 thaws did away with that plan. Early pay "seasonal permits" are the way to go. Makes it very flexible. Exchange rate is still friendly also. That makes a big difference in total trip costs for sure. I absolutely enjoy riding in Canada!!! Have never had a bad trip!!!

jdw1

Sounds good, my wife and I are considering a remote border crossing up the Gunflint from Grand Marais then a big loop west, Atikokin north to Ignace, Sioux Lookout, Dryden, maybe up to Ear Falls and Red Lake, Kenora, Sioux Narrows,Nestor Falls, Fort Frances, back to Atikokin then into the US at Crane Lake east back to the tow vehicle in Grand Marais Mn. Some places look a little sketchy on fuel so more planning is ahead. Back in ‘95 we rode out of Walker Mn, my folks place, to I Falls, Nestor Falls, Vermilion Bay, then rain and 40* forecasted, there use to be a trail from Vermilion Bay to Fort Frances so we headed South out of there and hauled butt back to the US, we didn’t get to complete our trip so we’re trying it again. Much simpler back then didn’t need a Pass Port and we just crossed into Canada and called in, a little different now!
Good luck and safe travels!

old abe

jdw1; gas an provisions will be very sparse in some of those locations for sure. We have a 175 mile "safe" range with our sleds, and still always carry 3 gal fuel caddies. And I mean always!!! As it's better to have, than to want!!! It sounds like a real nice trip, but will take some checking into, and thorough planning for sure. That is definitely "bush area". You might want to check in wit bearrassler, and grub, on this JD site for some travel tips in that area of Canada. as they are close to that area type riding. You may also want to look up the "Atikokin Loop". I think that is what it is called. Now, you have my wheels turning!!!

Last edited: