Winter Tires

600_RMK_144

Everyone seems to put AT tires on their trucks. They look great and make the truck look mean and all... But... AT tires really are not great on ice. Got me thinking.... Does anyone tow with SNOW tires? 98% of the time we encounter ice on the interstates vs. "deep" snow in parking lots (where AT tires actually do well). I've got General Grabber ATXs on the F150.... With the fancy "three peak mountain snow rating" [whatever that means] and let me tell you, they ABSOULTELY SUCK on ice!!!! Any patch of ice and the ass end wants to slide around. Super fun with a trailer in-tow as I'm sure many of you have witnessed first hand.

Very last trip of last season headed home from The Black Hills, was pulling an all-nighter as the kid had to be back for soccer practice that afternoon. Around 3am --- a semi from the other direction goes full steam into the center median. Luckily there was a ton of snow in the ditch (which made for a cool show from my vantage point). Interstate was a sheet of ice in both directions as we came over a pass with wind hollowing over the road. Seeing the semi gave me just enough time to react, get off the gas and slow to maybe 10mph by the time I hit the ice. Truck starts to slide (along with trailer). Look in my side mirror to witness three different sets of headlights behind me in the distance all part ways into the ditch. I was the ONLY one that managed to stay on the road, so maybe the tires are better than I give them credit? But at literally 10mph felt like they should have stuck better than they did.

Anyway. Curious if anyone has gone this route? Tow capacity concerns? Wear too quickly to be worth it?

mezz

I would agree, no particular tire is going to help on ice short of a studded tire, wish they never outlawed. You did the right thing reacting the way you did, had the same thing happen to us going through Mankato MN on a return trip from Togwotee. Quite a rush when the truck & 20' trailer start to slide. You were fortunate to see something ahead of time, we didn't have that luxury, found out the hard way, scared the crap out of us.

pclark

I have General Grabbers on my Tahoe, I am purchasing my 4th set in a few weeks. I love the way they handle in any kind of snow. As for ice, I never rely on the tires, just drive smart like you did. Ever see how many people spin out after they go over a bridge? it's because they keep their foot on the gas pedal on the overpass which is typically always icy. All you have to do is let off the gas as you go over and you have a must better chance of not joining the ditch dwellers.

m8man

I would agree, no particular tire is going to help on ice short of a studded tire, wish they never outlawed. You did the right thing reacting the way you did, had the same thing happen to us going through Mankato MN on a return trip from Togwotee. Quite a rush when the truck & 20' trailer start to slide. You were fortunate to see something ahead of time, we didn't have that luxury, found out the hard way, scared the crap out of us.
Ohh my I remember that

600_RMK_144

These tires ARE stud-able (aware not legal in most states). I seriously considered getting some screw in ones and going that route. Afraid they might destroy my driveway thou as well. Ideally would remove / reinstall for each trip, but ain't nobody got time for that. LOL!

elf

On my F150 I had AT tires and ended up backwards on the freeway with a loaded 20' trailer. Found a guy selling a set of Blizzaks on steel rims and bought them. What an amazing difference. Felt way more comfortable, even on ice, and they did an awesome job in snow. The biggest advantage I see to them is braking. A friend of mine drove my truck one time and couldn't believe the difference from his truck. And while people complain about the cost you need to remember they are saving wear and tear on your other tires. We've been running winter tires on our cars, even the AWD Subaru, 20+ years now and I'd never not use them. Now I have to decide if I'm buying a set for the new super duty

dfattack

I use blizzaks and am very happy with them. Ice is ice. Don’t care what tire you have on. Winter tires are good in wet slushy conditions but ice is a whole different animal. I swap out my SUV all season tires for blizzaks every year. On my pickup I use BFG KO2 all year long and am happy with them, especially in snow

ragsled

I also use and recommend Blizzak DM V2 winter tires, have some on my truck and also had a set for my previous truck too. They have a different rubber compound than AT or All Season tires that I feel does provide more grip on ice and hard pack. But make sure you only use below 45 degrees as they do not grip well at warmer temps on a dry road and will wear out quickly. They definitely reduce the slippage when towing on bridges and underpasses with my vehicle as compared to the AT tires that came on it (Falken WIldpeak AT) especially with the electronic locking differential that does nothing above 20 mph. I am only towing a Triton 2 place enclosed clam so my slippage used to occur at highway speed not while braking (big parachute) I store mine in my basement in the summer to reduce the "drying" that occurs in sun and high temps.

600_RMK_144

I also use and recommend Blizzak DM V2 winter tires, have some on my truck and also had a set for my previous truck too. They have a different rubber compound than AT or All Season tires that I feel does provide more grip on ice and hard pack. But make sure you only use below 45 degrees as they do not grip well at warmer temps on a dry road and will wear out quickly. They definitely reduce the slippage when towing on bridges and underpasses with my vehicle as compared to the AT tires that came on it (Falken WIldpeak AT) especially with the electronic locking differential that does nothing above 20 mph. I am only towing a Triton 2 place enclosed clam so my slippage used to occur at highway speed not while braking (big parachute) I store mine in my basement in the summer to reduce the "drying" that occurs in sun and high temps.
That's what I'm saying. I know ice is challenging regardless, but the compound + tread pattern on snow tires has gotta help a fair bit I would think. I certainly don't think the big nobs on AT tires does any good on ice.

ICT Sledder

Snow tires absolutely perform better on actual ice than all seasons or three peaks. Plenty of videos out there of the testing, with engineers and data and all that fun stuff. On solid ice the difference comes down to the rubber compound variations, not so much the tread design.

That said, I’ve never ran snow tires on my truck. The jerk side of me wonders if you ran a studded snow tire in MN/WI/MI if anyone would even notice or care. Seems like life is more important than road wear, so it’d be great if the bureaucrats came to their senses. We are happy to grind any number of segments of our economy to a halt because the speckled twinkle-toed earthworm was noticed at an industrial site, but nah… not that important to save actual human lives.

If you wanna be a complete moron in the winter snowbelt, run mud tires.

goofy600

I will say as for towing haven’t tried, but put blizzak tires on the wifes suv ( Chevy blazer) which had big racey type tires on it when I put the blizzak’s on it truly transformed the handling of it they seem to stick way better and that things handles better than my trucks have with many different sets of AT type tires.

misty_pines

I run Goodyear Assurance WeatheReady all weather tires on both of my SUVs. These have the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol (winter rated) and perform way better that standard all season tires for sure. They are not quite as good as winter specific tires like Blizzaks but still do much better that a non winter rated all weather tire in snow and ice. Also, I love not having to change out the tires in the Fall and Spring each year.

elf

I will say as for towing haven’t tried, but put blizzak tires on the wifes suv ( Chevy blazer) which had big racey type tires on it when I put the blizzak’s on it truly transformed the handling of it they seem to stick way better and that things handles better than my trucks have with many different sets of AT type tires.
I tow with my Blizzaks all winter long and they work great for it.